ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V6 on fire.... Again

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
how many have set on fire now? and has been a reason found for this happening?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Jesus Christ, that thing literally wanted to burn, it seemed like no amount of powder could stop it.

I wonder if you literally shovelled sand onto the engine it'd stop it?

An orange one
It was probably the extreme heat, the Vee engine compartment gets bloody hot under normal use.. Add some track abuse and high ambient temperature in Europe and the heat in there would be immense... No amount of fire extinguishers were going to stop it

An orange one
On a side note, if they had managed to contain the fire the damage to the car and interior from all that foam, plus what the fire had wrecked in terms of engine and wiring..

probably best it just went as a total loss! Just hope the guy had track insurance, or that's about €25000 + down the drain

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I can't imagine the feeling watching your pride & joy go up in flames, that must be absolutely heart-wrenching. Obviously it has to be put into perspective, it's only a car, but even still...

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
TBH they spent ages looking at it and opening the doors so the fire could get more oxygen.

Even when they had fire ex's they didn't use them straight away!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
HIAB it to a scrappy..

"Hello, Police? My car has been stolen. (In French)"

TBH.

Clio V6
I can't imagine the feeling watching your pride & joy go up in flames, that must be absolutely heart-wrenching. Obviously it has to be put into perspective, it's only a car, but even still...

Exactly, the video is a bit similar to the F1 crash from years ago (his name escapes me). Difference is there's no human in the Vee.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
I think id cry, im convinced the golf will set of fire for some reason. ive got a fire ex in for each passenger

Oh my. That must be very sad to stand there and watch.

Is it just me or did they seem very slow to try and put it out? When the buggie eventually came alone with extra extinguishers wasn't the first guy to grab one and rush to the car the actual driver?? I'd obviously do the same if it was my car but I would have though he would have been held back for health and safety reasons, to leave the professionals in protective clothing to it. Didn't seem to have much to fight it with either, isn't there normally like a small old school fire truck on site? OK it was probably destined to be a fire ball from the start just seemed like not that much effort was put it to try and prevent it..

Or is that just normal procedure to just let it burn out completely and wait for an actual fire engine... Is it too much of a risk to try and put it out?

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nasty. Nice ph2 aswell. Would be gutting no matter if you loved the car or not.

It really did go up quickly!

Vee

Mk2 V6 #007
They didn't help by opening the boot and fuelling it more.

Maybe not but there was no way to get the extinguisher anywhere near it otherwise.

Its not like a front engined car where you can blast through the front grilles and sorta get to the engine that way. Such a shame, glad it was -2 here last night, no chance of combustion!

What's the reason for Vees going up in smoke, aside from the obvious oxygen fuel and ignition. Do they just run at extremely high internal temperatures? Compared to say other sports cars?

And what it is internally that actually ignites, aside from the fuel? Just interested.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I guess they might have saved it by closing everything bar one window cracked open and firing the extinguishers in there, but it's mental to see how it almost can't be stopped once started.

Dawn, don't worry, you have to actually get the engine hot to get this problem. ;)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

its a bit more than a car, its £25000 without track insurance! eek!

Evo 5 RS
I think the answer is if you're going to track one, strip it out. It's not exactly the most aerodynamic thing in the world and those two grills are the only thing getting any air to the engine

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
bad times, must be absolutely heart wrenching to stand there helpless and have to watch your motor go up like that :(

I know people say its 'only' a car, but end of the day it's got a huge emotional attachment to it and the fella must of been gutted.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Ouch :dapprove: They do get very hot back there, i used to run mine without the engine covers off sometimes and once went over a load of dry leaves and shite on the road, the car filled the car with smoke and s**t me right up!

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
so gutted to see this!!

just showed some one at work, where is the oil line in relation to the exhaust? they recon is looked like an oil fire

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Seen this type of thing first hand, Renault 5 Raider GTT, my dad owned it when I was about 5, driving home one night he and I smelt burning, so pulled up on side of road and smoke came up through the vents. We all bailed out, couldn't stop it happening, within 10 minutes it was just like that V6, the wheels melted to the road even!
The council tried to sue my dad for burning the trees...!
Worse still, insurance cover didn't change until midnight that night, the fire occurred around 11... Total loss!
Car Was only about 2 years old at the time!