ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver Engine Mount Problems

Am I the only person who believes original valver engine and gearbox mounts are just a bit crap. Even with new ones fitted there seems to be too much movement and my car is essentially standard. Fine for normal plodding about, but when they are pushed (caris getting a thrash) I feel they arent stiff enough. I remember when this prob used to happen with minis you could buy a stabilizing bar that fitted from the cyl head to the bulk head and transformed the feel of the car. I fitted a standard dog bone mount, and probably should have gone for hill power uprated one so dont know if they are better.

However I reckon it is something worth investigating. Anybody agree?

Alex M

Clio 1.8 16v

i have only had my car 2months and i have been through 2 dog bone engine mounts and 1 set of the other 2 and it is still not right so i have booked it into the renault garage to see if they can see what is wrong with it will cost me £27 they think i might have broke a plate or a bracket that the mounts fit on will let you know how i go!does n e 1 know if they do uprated engine mounts for the top mount and gear box mount?how much is the bog bone engine mount?

Williams 2, STi N12

You got to remenber that the mounts are there for other reasons other than just holding the engine in place. Otherwise they would of just put a fixed mechanical bracket in there. They reduce/eliminate all sorts of vibrations and stresses. (Thats why the F1 teams with the supertec engines had so much trouble, the Ren F1 engine just about shook itself to bits!)

Im not saying dont do it but be careful what you replace them with otherwise you could be in for some other more terminal trouble. A lot of FEA work goes into the design so Im sure they got it right, just check the rubber mounts if in doubt then change them but otherwise it should be fine.

I Disagree ,I just feel the original ones are ,even from new, a bit soft, would be good if you could obtain uprated versions of all three mounts.

Alex M