ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver Manifold Heatshield- Is it needed

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

The one between the bulk head and manifold. Is it really needed as mine is truely f**ked and cant be doin anythin! I will get a new one eventually!

What would happen if i just took it out for now?

You wouldnt need your fans on to heat the car up anyway :)

I dunno what would happen, id say best to play it safe.

Theres one on ebay just now got about 4days left on it.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

46 quid for a bit of tin foil covered cardboard!

Anyone no the product code so i can order a new one?

i took mine of the day i got my valver and i havent seen any problems YET

but the sheild isint their for fun it has a function otherwise it wouldnt be there

ive had my car for sens november

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Bought one from Renault othe rweek as mine is disintegrating. 46 quid !!!!

At least if you buy new you know it will last a while. Second hand may fall apart in no time depending on age.

Can find part numbe rof receipt but just go in or phone, give them your reg and theyll find it in a few mins on their computer.

made one of aluminium plate, much better, sod paying 40 odd for that, you can make better! Having said that I ran my valver without anything there fror over a year and no hassles, although agree probably better having something there!

BMW 320d Sport

Well its a bit more than tin foil wrapped around cardboard. It is pricey Ill admit, like most things from Renault. But the core of the shield, unlike a piece of bent aluminium sheet, is shaped to fit the space exactly and is heat proof itself. Therefore heat cannot conduct through it. An alu plate will eventually just get hot. It might be shiny and reflect some of the heat away but once heat gets into it, it will just conduct straight through to the other side.

It would seem to be a crucial component, although Ive seen plenty of valvers going round for ages without them. I wouldnt take a chance though, not with all the brake pipes going along the back there.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah i aint riskin it! Ive got a very disintagrated one at the mo but ill get down to Renault on Sat and get a new un.

Looks crap without one too!

Slightly disagree with you there nick, engine bay gets very warm its unaviodable, however most of the heat from the manifold will be radiated which means a shiny surface will reflect a large amont of it. The convected heat from manifold is unavoidable and will be there anyway. Honestly reckon a shaped shiny piece of metallic plate will serve very well. Remembering that brake fluid itself will quite happily take several huindred degress, its not that crucial in the first place. Has anybody honestly noticed a difference when driving valvers/willys without this shield cause i havent. Besides you can knock somethings together that will look much better, and perform just fine!

The Jinx

And destroy your clutch cable!

If its like any other exhaust shielding its more than cardboard anyway. Its more likely to be tin with a reflective lining.

Id agree with Nick R mate, iirc the viscosity of the brake fluid thins as it warms up resulting in poor brake performance.

At the end of the day Renault didnt put it there for the hell of it did they?

Quote: Originally posted by Alex M on 05 May 2004

Slightly disagree with you there nick, engine bay gets very warm its unaviodable, however most of the heat from the manifold will be radiated which means a shiny surface will reflect a large amont of it. The convected heat from manifold is unavoidable and will be there anyway. Honestly reckon a shaped shiny piece of metallic plate will serve very well. Remembering that brake fluid itself will quite happily take several huindred degress, its not that crucial in the first place. Has anybody honestly noticed a difference when driving valvers/willys without this shield cause i havent. Besides you can knock somethings together that will look much better, and perform just fine!

Brake fluid wont happily take several hundred degrees, top condition new fluid will boil at under 280 deg. And most peoples fluid will be in such poor condition that its boiling point will be below 200 deg..

BMW 320d Sport

Alex I can see your point that you could get away with something made of sheet aluminium, but its just that I wouldnt trust it to do the job and for the sake of £30 or £40, why go to all the bother of making it and have it not really work as well, when you could just have a part designed from scratch to do the exact job and fit perfectly? Every home-made heatshield Ive seen has looked like a bodge made out of scrap alu sheet with a couple of big washers in the middle holding it on.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you need the sheild there. apart from the fact it will heat up the brake fluid which will affect your brake pedal if the fluid boils it also causes your throttle and clutch cables to melt to the outer casings. changed plenty of cables because the heat sheilds been missing and the cables just seized up due to the heat.

Ok see your point lads, but to be honest I ran without one for a couple of years and then last years or so with my home made one which does look ok. The dot 5.1 fluid i use has a dry bp of 365C (in use probably does boil below or around 250 so I know what you mean), which is a few hundred degrees which i meant to say, realise dot 4 and lesser obviously boil lower but even so, heat transfered to the pipes at bulkhead will be negligble compared with even slight braking, there just isnt the surface area for such heat transfer. I am still amazingly enough on original clutch and throttle cable, so am still not totally convinced this heat shield is required, but it is probably best to have it there anyway. However I am convinced renaults flimsy piece is not best option and it looks scabby as hell after only a few miles. Anyway its not important, and it is probably just a matter of horses for courses. Its going to be better to have it there than not. I aint changing it, so i will be able to see if it backfires on me or not, lol!