ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver vs Williams!!!

LY 200

Right the Williams is 150bhp standard and the Valver is 137bhp standard!!!

That doesnt seem alot of difference to me so is there much of a difference in a straight line between the 2???

Never had ago against a Williams myself but have any of you other Valver owners??? If so what was the score???

Cheers

Jay

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I managed to stay with one straight line racing to 90 when we both slowed. He probs pulled about a car length max if anything at all. My valver seemed to be quite strong though and had a few mods. The willy must have been standard.

Std Vs Std the willy wins quite easily with its torque advantage

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

doesnt the willy require 3 gear changes to et to 60 whereas the valver only one?

LY 200

Willy williams you rekon!!!

I wouldnt have thought thered be anymore than a few car lenghts at most between to strong standard one up 2 about 80!!!

Tom16v didnt you have 17s on your valver aswell???

Quote: Originally posted by Willy Williams on 15 December 2004

Valver is slightly quicker in a straight line and both handle really badly, the williams moreso.

^^^^^^HAHAHAHAHAHAH fool

Williams is so much quicker low down the rev range, thats where most of the advantage is.

Both handle like there on rails:D

Yes it does Clart, willy needs 3 gears to 60 if its completely standard.

[Edited by Smokey on 15 December 2004 at 11:36am]

If anyone wants to put this into practise with a 2.0ltr 16v and live near the A13 PM me.

Theres little comparison... more noticable on bends / twists admittedly!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by JayR on 15 December 2004

Tom16v didnt you have 17s on your valver aswell???
Yeah i did. My car wasnt standard though as it had a HP chip, filter and magnex system inc decat. It was probs near standard willy power but still a lottle down on torque.

The driver makes alot of difference in this comparison though!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Ive tested my Williams against Dannyts valver many times his is a good one (made 120 bhp atw) and mine is stripped...... Off the mark there is NO difference until top of second gear where I start to inch half a car maybe, 3rd gear is where the difference in capacity starts to tell and the williams draws away slowly with a BIG difference in 4th gear, after which the 16v is a fair few car lenghts behind.

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 15 December 2004

Yes it does Clart, willy needs 3 gears to 60 if its completely standard.

[Edited by Smokey on 15 December 2004 at 11:36am]

Dunno what your on about Paul;)

I agree with martin the difference isnt low down but higher up the gears is when there becomes a noticable difference!

However neither car is standard with weight or modifications however I feel the results will still be the same!

Martins car is also a second quicker 1/4 mile!

Where flaming monkey williams 3 has similar mods to mine and his 1/4 time was 15.2 and I got 15.7 racing on the same day against each other!

Cornering wise i think the extra track length of the willy makes it more stable and so you can feel more comfortable with it...however I would like to see a well set up valver susp either coilover or shocks and springs against a standard williams...there will be a difference between the body roll etc...I wonder if round a track it would be similar?

Danny

LY 200

ROCKPORT IM JUST DOWN THE ROAD FROM YOU MATE!!!;)

MARTIN, THE WAY YOU PUT ITS HOW I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE!!!

The difference is low down mainly, i have owned both engines in the same car, both are completely standard and the Willy lump was much quicker moreso lower down the rev range, granted the extra torque makes it quicker higher up the rev range but not by alot once the valver has come on cam..

[Edited by Smokey on 15 December 2004 at 11:50am]

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by dannyt on 15 December 2004

I agree with martin the difference isnt low down but higher up the gears is when there becomes a noticable difference!

However neither car is standard with weight or modifications however I feel the results will still be the same!

Martins car is also a second quicker 1/4 mile!

Where flaming monkey williams 3 has similar mods to mine and his 1/4 time was 15.2 and I got 15.7 racing on the same day against each other!

Cornering wise i think the extra track length of the willy makes it more stable and so you can feel more comfortable with it...however I would like to see a well set up valver susp either coilover or shocks and springs against a standard williams...there will be a difference between the body roll etc...I wonder if round a track it would be similar?

Danny
I wonder if anyone who has owned a willy/16v can actually tell the difference in handling between the two cars....because on the occasions Ive seen your valver its always been able to stick with the N/w williams brigade round the corners..... ....we could have a good test next time at Oulton park!:devilish:

Ive had a williams and a 16v. 0-60 and there didnt seem any difference between them between 0-60. If anything the 16v may have felt slighty quicker!(Obviously just an illusion though) Anyway past 60, my williams speed didnt seem to decrease, or slow, it just kept going and going. Where as the 16v after 60, still pulls, but seemed to take alot longer to get to 100

Doesnt the Williams have a larger glove box too? I think Renault upped the capacity from 2.5 litres in the Valver to 2.7 litres in the Williams.
PMSL!!!!

You gotta love these enthusiasts forums!

Also INMO i didnt notice any difference in their handling on good days. And they both really hate rainy days!! The were both a phase 1!

Seriously i think everyone is missing the point. To understand the differences between the Valver and the Williams you have to realise WHY Renault made the Williams.

On the road the differences are minimal. A few tenths here and there. Small handling differences. However the main difference lies in the POTENTIAL of the car as a rally car.

Renault wanted a fantastic base car for their attack on the Rally championship (mainly in the form of a 2ltr, the suspension of the road car was completely revised for the rally cars anyway). Thats what the Williams is. The tuning potential is far superior to the Valver for the pourpose Renault wanted.

The bottom line is that both are great road cars, but the Williams has more potential and is a better foundation to build a rally car, mostly in terms of the engine.

Polo GTi

Ive had both a 16v a Willy, there is defo a difference in handling and in power delivery.

I was contemplating not going to the Willy after the 16v as I thought there would be little difference, but after a good test drive it was obvious there are differences.

Polo GTi

Quote: Originally posted by dannyt on 15 December 2004
I agree with martin the difference isnt low down but higher up the gears is when there becomes a noticable difference!However neither car is standard with weight or modifications however I feel the results will still be the same!Martins car is also a second quicker 1/4 mile!Where flaming monkey williams 3 has similar mods to mine and his 1/4 time was 15.2 and I got 15.7 racing on the same day against each other!Cornering wise i think the extra track length of the willy makes it more stable and so you can feel more comfortable with it...however I would like to see a well set up valver susp either coilover or shocks and springs against a standard williams...there will be a difference between the body roll etc...I wonder if round a track it would be similar?Danny

Cheeky you had no back bench ;), when I took my seats out I got a 14.9, hehe and theres more to come Im sure of it

Quote: Originally posted by Martin. on 15 December 2004

I wonder if anyone who has owned a willy/16v can actually tell the difference in handling between the two cars....because on the occasions Ive seen your valver its always been able to stick with the N/w williams brigade round the corners..... ....we could have a good test next time at Oulton park!:devilish:
Well, i went front a valver with new std shocks to fitting the willy track (using the same lowering spring) and the difference is tremendous. You push it far harder in a way you wouldnt dare with the 16v...perhaps it inspires a bot too much confidence sometimes... :oops:

Id be interested to compare track times between the two (std 16, willy and willy tracked 16v) to see how much of the difference is actually down to the 2ltr or the wider track. IMO The main annoyance of the 1.8 is that its difficult to keep on cam in corners...the track reduces that quite a lot...

Monkey - lol rear bench smear bench!!!lol;)

Monkey - I think another reason why you notice such a difference between your old valver and willy 3 is that the old valver sounds like it wasnt as good as it could have been and you had a lot of issues with it, whereas your willy is a strong one! What du think?

Martin - i think a handling test could be in order, especially if its a dry track!

I agree i think you get a lot more confidence driving on the edge with the wider track!

Danny

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 15 December 2004

Is it not martin who has the freak g/box though?
no that would be me, although its coming out this week and is gonna be reconditioned... It won be going back in my car, but watch out for another fast willy/valver in the future that could be making use of the extra long gearing ;)... this person has the power to make full use of it... 160+mph Clio anyone? :eek:

hehehe, nothing finalised yet, Ive asked them if they want it, so only time will tell. TBH once this goes in a car that can make proper use of it I think well be seeing one of the fastest N/A Clios on the site with no forced induction... will be interesting anyway :D

VaVa

Seriously i think everyone is missing the point. To understand the differences between the Valver and the Williams you have to realise WHY Renault made the Williams.

On the road the differences are minimal. A few tenths here and there. Small handling differences. However the main difference lies in the POTENTIAL of the car as a rally car.

Renault wanted a fantastic base car for their attack on the Rally championship (mainly in the form of a 2ltr, the suspension of the road car was completely revised for the rally cars anyway). Thats what the Williams is. The tuning potential is far superior to the Valver for the pourpose Renault wanted.

The bottom line is that both are great road cars, but the Williams has more potential and is a better foundation to build a rally car, mostly in terms of the engine.
Hmmm.... Good point........it was a homolololologation special afterall.... Although Im sure Ive heard that before somewhere.......;)

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 15 December 2004

Hmmm.... Good point........it was a homolololologation special afterall.... Although Im sure Ive heard that before somewhere.......;)

;)

Quote: Originally posted by rockport on 15 December 2004

If anyone wants to put this into practise with a 2.0ltr 16v and live near the A13 PM me.

Theres little comparison... more noticable on bends / twists admittedly!
ok i will come in clares williams and still whoop u coz u drive like u have miss daisy in the back