ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very chuffed with Cup...

The cup is run in now, and ive been giving it a proper run.

Well impressed with it, handles really well, and is very nippy, plus managed a 300 mile round trip up the M1 M25 perfectly well, running at around 90 - 100MPH most of the way (er, I mean... 70, officer)

Found the front end can push wide when going round roundabouts really hard, but thats to be expected, in an ideal world itd have an LSD, but I cant say im too bothered by it.

Its pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be, a lot of people said I should get another Integra Type-R, but I owned one for a couple years, and I prefer the Cup.

The Cups torque/max power comes in a lot lower in the rev range, so whereas on a very windey stretch youd fall out of the power band easily in the Teg, the Cup is far more capable of continuing to give power, its far more progressive and useable than the tegs on/off power delivery.

Plus that whole Honda image, and the looks of the Teg, like an outdated coupe with an enormous spoiler stuck on it, no where near as cool looking :cool:

Only things ive noticed, is that the gearchange is not exactly quickshift, plus it makes a clunk when selecting first, is that normal? and that metal, whoa, thats where they saved the weight :) you wash the roof, and it sort of dissapears under your hand!! lol

Very glad I went for a Cup, wasnt much else on the shopping list, and I cant imagine theres much better for the money.

320d M Sport

glad youre lovin it! Clunking when selecting first is normal, all 172 + Cups do it. Have u driven a 172? How did it compare?

Havent driven a 172, was tempted, but the Cup pretty much offered everything I was after.

I was going to get a 172 if Id had to have waited till september for a Cup, but took the showroom model in the end, and I dont think they do 172s in the Cup blue, which I really like.

sorry to disappoint Paddy - but mine definitely does not clunk going into first, nor did Sluggers old Mk1 and nor does his Cup - so I think "all 172 + Cups do it" is a bit of a broad statement!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Mine doesnt clunk either...

And neither does my mates mk1 or my mates ex-GFs mk2, so they dont all do it Im afraid.

Some do, some dont, but its only gonna be the linkage.

This thread is not about clunky gearchanges mines ok BTW... Its about Slideshowbobs smiley happy feeling from his Cup, I like mine too v good little motor... But for the money what do you get next..?

Glad your enjoying it BOb... !!

Quote: Originally posted by SideShowBob on 05 August 2003

The cup is run in now, and ive been giving it a proper run.

Well impressed with it, handles really well, and is very nippy, plus managed a 300 mile round trip up the M1 M25 perfectly well, running at around 90 - 100MPH most of the way (er, I mean... 70, officer)

Found the front end can push wide when going round roundabouts really hard, but thats to be expected, in an ideal world itd have an LSD, but I cant say im too bothered by it.

Its pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be, a lot of people said I should get another Integra Type-R, but I owned one for a couple years, and I prefer the Cup.

The Cups torque/max power comes in a lot lower in the rev range, so whereas on a very windey stretch youd fall out of the power band easily in the Teg, the Cup is far more capable of continuing to give power, its far more progressive and useable than the tegs on/off power delivery.

Plus that whole Honda image, and the looks of the Teg, like an outdated coupe with an enormous spoiler stuck on it, no where near as cool looking :cool:

Only things ive noticed, is that the gearchange is not exactly quickshift, plus it makes a clunk when selecting first, is that normal? and that metal, whoa, thats where they saved the weight :) you wash the roof, and it sort of dissapears under your hand!! lol

Very glad I went for a Cup, wasnt much else on the shopping list, and I cant imagine theres much better for the money.
SEEDY, Depends if you read the post properly or not.

Mine clunks from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and its very loud - this is a common problem on 172s and cups - mines in for the third time to get it sorted - its also to do with the clunking you get on full lock and they think its the engine mounts - needs a rubber bush fitted to solve the problem - very annoying though!

Has anyone with engine mount shudder under very hard acceleration in 1st 2nd actually had it put right?? Any ideas guys i know its quite a common fault... It makes it awkward to get very good starts off the line..

My gearbox clunks when selecting first. A bit like the clunk you get when snicking into first gear on a motorbike. Nowt to worry about I wouldnt have thought.

mine only clunks going into 5th, other gears are sweet.

Judder on acceleration is from the engine mount under the Battery. Although Reno deny they have ever had the fault reported they tightened mine up and it is much better know. Only have the ocassional judder if I pull away hard with it not in a dead straight line.

Took delivery of my Cup 2 weeks ago now and its just run in too, very impressed with the performance so far, but its being spoilt abit by niggling little faults like rattling seat rails etc, so it was booked back into my dealer tomorrow to sort a few bits out. However, it had to go to the dealer a day early & on the back of a AA truck !!!!cos when I came out to it this morning there was a big pool of petrol underneath it from a split fuel line!!!!! Its only done 1100 miles for f***s sake, I dont even have problems like that with my 23 year old mini! So Im not too happy at the moment, I bought a new car to avoid the hassle of having to fix it all the time and currently its proving less reliable than my other two beasties.
When it is working tho, its pretty impressive, had a great race with a mate in a Golf GTi 150T and there was no comparison, especially on the twisty bits.
I just hope that my dealer gets it sorted properly for me.
Oh and yep, mine clunks intermitantly when you select 1st gear( & on start up too). Was told by Renault its just the way they are??

mine doesnt clunk but its only done 700 miles, what do you mean though by run in, i admit i dinna want to take it too far up the rev range but renault say that theer is no riunning in period now, the handbook doesnt even mention it. Maybe i am just being too cautious but was planning to max it at about 5500 rpm for about 2000 miles as i have seen too many threads about gearbox and clutch problems.

Also no cup badges on door pillars, is it meant to have one on each side or just drivers door??

Cheers

yes you should have the badges on the door pillars. Check the tools in the boot and the tyre foam too.

Mine clunks sometime too and the garage said it was a fast car thing...

Bad news that ed>cup, ive got some very slight rattles, but so far been fine. I also bought it as a more reliable choice after an RX7, so holding thumbs it doesnt give any problems, hopefully you get yours sorted.

I did a brief running in period, around 600 miles of taking it easy, but then the reality is that any wearing in on an engine is completed, so wouldnt worry about running it in for thousands of miles or anything.

After the 600 miles, ive been upping the revs gradually over around 200 miles, and now with 800 miles on it, I just drive it.

Cars can use a running in period initially, but any metal bedding in etc in the engine/drivetrain is done within a few hundred miles, but doesnt hurt to be cautious.

Ive got Cup badges on both door pillars, but the 172 badges below these were wonk, plus didnt like them particuallaly, so those got removed before delivery, so just has the cup badges, check with your dealer if you dont, they may have forgotten to put them on. As I understand it, the dealer gets the Cup and 172 badges to put on the car, rather than it coming from the factory with them on, so chances are they have them around and just forgot to put them on.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by SideShowBob on 07 August 2003

I did a brief running in period, around 600 miles of taking it easy, but then the reality is that any wearing in on an engine is completed, so wouldnt worry about running it in for thousands of miles or anything.

After the 600 miles, ive been upping the revs gradually over around 200 miles, and now with 800 miles on it, I just drive it.

Cars can use a running in period initially, but any metal bedding in etc in the engine/drivetrain is done within a few hundred miles, but doesnt hurt to be cautious.
Yeah, it actually tells you to run it in if you read the handbook...

No more than 3500rpm (or 80mph) for the first 1000km (625miles), but Id already decided to keep mine to 4000rpm max for about 500 miles anway, then start building it up, so not much different to their plan.

Had it 3 weeks now and just approaching 1000 miles, so Im now using full throttle and all the revs, but it will take a fewmore miles to get up to it;s full potential and the handbook says not to expect full performance for at least 1500 miles.

Its definately got quicker already, you can tell its just pulls better at low revs, seems more torquey, revs freely, etc... and has got a bit better on fuel too as the thing starts to bed in.

Cant wait to get it to Pod this weekend and see what it runs! :D

Always a good idea to run a brand new car in, as the engine, gearbox, brakes, etc... all take a few hundred miles to bed in correctly and it will pay off in the long run.

Like sideshowbob says, it doesnt hurt to be cautious! ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by BikeMan on 07 August 2003

My Cup stickers were put on at the import centre, not the dealer. The dealer fits the front splitter though...
Dealer fitted my Cup badges and splitter...

cheers Rich-d

Missed running in section in the manual as its so small a section, cheers

Cup badges arrived in post, sorted but its true the 172 bits are pretty squint, had to try and straighten them up before fitting