ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Volvo turbo engine into clio mk1 - help

Ive finally got around to getting my mk1 clio off the road and ripped out the standard engine (1.4) yesterday. Problem is ive kind of jumped in to this without really planning it. Does anyone know of any R5s or clios which have had a 1700cc Volvo 440 or 460 engine stuffed in the bay? If so, I would be very greatful of any way of contacting these people who might be able to give me some help.

Basically, Id like to know which driveshafts would be needed and what sort of modifications will have to be made to my car to allow the new engine to be fitted.

Ive got no email at the mo, so Ill check back here in a week if any help is offered or ring 07890051743.

Thanks very much.

Corsa 2.0 16v baby

best bit of help u can get at this point is go for the 1.4 turbo r5 engine as its got loads more tuning potential and should u register it will have cut price road tax ;)

[Edited by jabba on 25 May 2004 at 3:37pm] 480/460/440 all had the 1.7 lump which was a renault engine anyway!

Cheers.

Got the engine already tho Malice and bought dump valve and superchip for it otherwise I wouldve defo gone for the 5 engine.

Got the engine in the bay now just trying to source an upper drivers side mounting and a drivers side lower mounting. Gonna try 5 for upper mounting and clio 1.2 for lower mounting.

Gearbox is pretty much identical to my clio one so weve had no real trouble so far. Next major task is wiring :)

Dunno if this is true but it may help...

I think the 1.7 unit formed the basis for the 1.8 RSI lump present in mk1 clios so driveshafts/mounts from one of those may fit.

the volvo 440 turbo engine is a renault 1.7 F2N engine - this is roughly the same type of engine used in most older renaults. It will go straight in a renault 5 hence the 1.7 turbo conversion by PRIMA. As for dropping it in a clio - well, you can put any engine in any car providing youve got the facilities and the know how - make sure youve got the ecu and wiring loom out of the volvo.

It will fit perfectly. Just get mountings from a RSi and a JB3 gearbos. Then you can use 16V driveshafts and frontend setup. Should work fine... engine is good for at least 200 bhp and a lot of tonque.

this interest me a lot as these block are both cheaper and easier to get hold of than a 5gt block. Also they kick out enough standard to make a clio reasonably fun. Malice or whoever has one, how about a write up, please!

im also looking at it, cheaper option than me gettng a vavler let alot a GTT converision.

and insurance mgiht be cheaper, may have to look into this.

Does a 480 turbo go straight in? aswell as the 1700cc Volvo 440 or 460 ??