ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VW TDi’s - wow

cDc

182 Arctic Blue

Was driving today on some nice 60mph limit roads and there was an older VW golf, me and an st24 mondeo all cruising at 60 noticed a car behind the mondeo but couldnt tell what it was -
then when he had the chance he comes past the lot of us like a bloody steam train ive rarely seen anything go past me like that before it was shifting to say the least - in fact the only other time Ive paused and thought "woah that thing moves" was when a 172 floored it past me once i think!! what was it? a VW Bora TDI not sure of the spec but it was a new reg!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Aye, them diesels can bl00dy shift!

They just have bucket loads of torque, so the mid-range punch for overtaking is awesome.

they are a realy shocker arent they, i dont know why its always the boras that seem to throw up the suprises, i believe its the same engine in the badly named golf GTTDi, but i suppose its easily mistaken for a normal GTi,

im sure they produce an astonishing amount of torque 250ft/lbs or so!

they are a real shocker arent they, i dont know why its always the Boras that seem to throw up the suprises, i believe its the same engine in the badly named golf GTTDi, and therefore Audis Seats etc but i suppose its easily mistaken for a normal GTi,

they produce an astonishing amount of torque 250ft/lbs or so!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

I once raced a Passat TDI, the newish ones in my 1.4 RT. He was only pulling away a bit on the straights believe it or not. But I was nailing the car to the limit. Eventually got some good speed off a sharpish corner and managed to overtake him on a hill. Very very close though.

My dads got a Golf GT TDI (think theres a PD somewhere on there too) and it doesnt half shift, but the Passat are quite a bit heavier.

my dad used to own a citroen xantia 2 litre TD and that really threw you back in your seats! especailly if the engines done under 3k

Yeh, my bros got a new Golf GT TDi PD150 - it shifts like you wouldnt believe! Any gear - it just pulls like a train... Im scared to race against him in the 172! If I lost, hed never let it drop!

Matt

S2000

Race him ya wimp!

2nd gear 25/30 mph, all the way to 100, on paper you should take it quite easily! Its only as fast as the 1.8T in a straight line sprint!

Be very wary of any VW Golf sitting low (20mm)sporting 16" Montreal II alloys with smoked rear lights. If its badged as a TDi and its on a EX51(92)plate theres a very good chance its a TDi PD (Pumpe Duse). This autobahn bruiser creates 150bhp, hits 60 in 8.4 and has a massive 236lbs tourque on tap (Porsche Boxter s 225lbs)plus this Golf hits max tourqe at a lowly 1900 revs meaning terrific mid-range punch. You have been warned.

Clio 197

And dont believe the top speed figures published in the car mags. The diesels are probably 10mph faster than stated.

This goes for the Audi and VW ones anyway.