ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VXR CORSA OR CLIO r27 197

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
R27.

Seen the two on track? The Clio is faster.

Seen the Corsa in the flesh? The clio is better.

Oh, and I can't stand Vauxhalls lol!

MCS R56
The Corsa tries too hard and isn't the car an R27 is. It's got no class about it, like any of the VXR's. Vauxhall seems to think adding a turbo to their cars makes them good. They mostly suck and look too chav-tastic.

Scirocco GT 210
You're asking this question on a clio forum, you're only going to get one answer!

Although saying that I'd rather have the corsa, purely because I'm getting old and can't be ****ed with torque-less n/a engines anymore.

Plus the R27 is a Renault lol. Not having another!

Last edited:
C

Clio_Craig

r27 hands down, corsa looks horrible, but you was only gonna get one answer on this forum lol

320d
As they have said before if you come to a cliosport forum your only gona get one awnser, the clio is quicker but has to be worked hard for any power where as the corsa has loads of torque so can be more useable for everyday driving, personally i'd go for the clio. another option to consider is the mini cooper s its an awsome motor coming second to the civic type r in every comparison review i've ever read.

5 door 1.4 rt clio
out of those two id have the clio 197. it just looks better and has more presence. it is quicker and cheaper i think.

I've test driven the Corsa and I have to say its absolutely dreadful IMO

I'd have the Clio on default, although I've not driven one so I can't say for sure.

Clio 200
Regardless of the performance or driving characteristics of the two, the Corsa VXR looks like a cartoon version of a hot-hatchback - The Clio would therefore get my vote :)

MCS R56
bit of a no brainer here, this is a clio forum lol

Very true and anyone brave enough to say they'd have the VXR would be shot down in a Clio Sport blaze of glory.

I guess some people must like them but when you see both cars together, the R27 looks a whole lot more classy and subtle. The VXR is like a 15 year old lad on his first night on the town - trying like a ba$tard to be cool but just looking like an over-dressed chav. Same goes for the Astra, although I did see a black one today in VXR form and it looked a lot less bodykit-tastic. Quite nice actually.

Performance is very similar although the VXR's chassis doesn't come close to the 197 and can't use it's power as effectively. Must try (less) harder, Vauxhall!

Mazda MX5 1.8
the corsa is too "LOOK AT ME IM A CHAV........ IVE GOT A FAT TURBO WATCH MY BURN OUT BABY!"

R27 has a lot more style but i do like the astra VXR's

J03

MX5 1.8
id like the clio with a corsa interior... i hate the 197 interior its so bland theres nothing special inside or 182... looks bog standard with a few badges stuck here and there... the interior of the corsa looks well nicee
tbh both cars on profile looks similar... with a like a diamond/teardrop rear lights with flowing curves, the VXR looks more kitted.. i always thought of this way, clio is more feminine while the corsa looks more masculine

Ph-Quick
Ive been vauxhall man for years, ever since ive been into cars!

And when the VXR came out i was YES i want one of those, but since owning my 172 and seeing pics of some of the 197s i would havbe to say that i woudlnt grab the VXR straight away i would have to seriously look at the 197!

LY V6 with Recaros
I've not driven the Corsa, but I think it loks horrible, way to over the top and chavvy. I'd definitely have the R27 in liquid yellow or racing blue! Also, going from reviews I'd pick the 197.

I think by asking that question on cs, your bound to get biased opinions.
but i wouldnt even look at the corsa cos there cr*p

SLK 350
Think i'd choose the Corsa (though haven't driven it) over the 197, saw one at the weekend in red and it actually looked like a hot hatch instead of a shopping trolley.

Chavvy or not I like the way the VXR looks, and the fact a remap will give it the legs on a lot of cars just makes it more likable.

MCS R56
Hot hatches shouldn't need turbos. And the fact that the VXR can't handle the power/torque it has already shows why it's not a great hot hatch. For me it would always be handling over power. Not that the 197 is the final answer in handling.

The VXR will be a MaxPower hero. Enough said.

Scirocco GT 210
Hot hatches shouldn't need turbos. And the fact that the VXR can't handle the power/torque it has already shows why it's not a great hot hatch. For me it would always be handling over power. Not that the 197 is the final answer in handling.

Have you seen that video (and read the review) by Evo mag where it had 3 turbo'd hot hatches and the 197 driving along A and B roads (i.e. real world driving and not track driving)?

The 197 couldn't keep up! So I wouldn't say the turbo'd hatches can't handle the power.

SLK 350

Bullsh*t - So BMW were making a mistake by charging and then turboing the MCS? Sure...they were :rolleyes:

The Corsa VXR is the first generation of hot hatch on that chassis and build. Renault have been doing Sports for years so I'd say Vaux are doing a good job if the VXR's are trully their first dip into the hatch market (since the likes of the GTE).

As you mention about the torque/power, I'm naturally assuming you haven't driven one, and just take the few words you see on here as gospel. FYI It's the Astra that's very testing with the torque, but It's something they're addressing, the Corsa doesn't suffer that at all. Only thing the Corsa needs apaprently is stiffer setup to decrease the little bodyroll it has according to owners.

R27 simply because I can actually get a test drive in that and couldnt get near any of the VXR's at local dealers! Took 20 minutes to get someone to even speak to me at the vauxhall dealership and then they said I couldnt test drive it because I was just a 'test pilot'! I had great pleasure in driving off the forecourt in my friends VX220, me behind the wheel of course ;)

J03

MX5 1.8

Bullsh*t - So BMW were making a mistake by charging and then turboing the MCS? Sure...they were :rolleyes:

The Corsa VXR is the first generation of hot hatch on that chassis and build. Renault have been doing Sports for years so I'd say Vaux are doing a good job if the VXR's are trully their first dip into the hatch market (since the likes of the GTE).

As you mention about the torque/power, I'm naturally assuming you haven't driven one, and just take the few words you see on here as gospel. FYI It's the Astra that's very testing with the torque, but It's something they're addressing, the Corsa doesn't suffer that at all. Only thing the Corsa needs apaprently is stiffer setup to decrease the little bodyroll it has according to owners.

very true indeed, so solve these little niggly things all ye really need to do is tweak it abit on the suspension as you said, then the car would be near perfect, people just presume its a 'CHAV' car souly because its a corsa with a factory bodykit and made to look aftermarket. but what they hey, its alot more attractive than the clio, and it would deffo attract more people on buyin the corsa. if you seen one in real life it looks stunning, especially the rear, am just not keen on the headlights.. the interior is beautiful and it looks and feels so much more specail. i would deffo buy it in a few years, however i fear they would be VERY common...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't driven either, so I can clearly comment from the viewpoint of not knowing a great deal! ;)

If a garage had a new VXR and an R27 on the forecourt and said I could borrow either for a week, then the R27 wouldn't even get a 2nd glance. Clearly it's based on personal preference, but the R27 does absolutely nothing for me. I passed two of the black R27 tubbies last week and thought they looked ok.......ish. Then a silver one came the opposite way past me this morning, and I only confirmed that it was an R27 in my own mind when I saw the rear 'diffusor'.

The VXR looks much more purposeful imo. And all the BS about it being a 'Vauxhall' just makes me laugh. Of course, Reno is SO much better, isn't it?!?

D.

J03

MX5 1.8
The VXR looks much more purposeful imo. And all the BS about it being a 'Vauxhall' just makes me laugh. Of course, Reno is SO much better, isn't it?!?

D.

lol

only thing that would concern me if i ever bought one is how much extra power u can get outa the turbo'd 1.6 lump...

SLK 350
^£400 takes it upto 230bhp and muchos torque. That's only their Phase 1 map too, a revised Phase 2 map is out shortly, so see how much that gives.

VXR-Corsa-After.jpg

Would love to see how quick they are with that remap, and what sort of MPG they return once mapped.

V6
i like the astra vxr but the corsa vxr to me just looks like a sqaushed astra ugly. the 197 i would rather have but wudnt buy one.

Cliosport 197
i have always been a massive ford fan,every car i have had has been a ford,i came out of a focus rs a thew months ago cos i wanted something newer,i test drove the the focus st,vxr corsa and the 197,ended up buying the 197 and never looked back since,love it,i think it looks the best by far,drives and handling is superb,one of the best cars i have driven,and im a ford fan,the only thing that can get me out of this car is going too be a new focus rs if they make one,just wish i would have been a bit more patient and got the f1 r27 model your talking about

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Did anyone else in this thread go on one of those VXR trackdays?

imho the Corsa was the most fun on track, even the astra was understeering but the corsa was so damn agile it was great, and had a nice little punch on the straights, albeit not as much as the astra.

I'd need ot have a blast in a 197 round a track though to compare as I've only driven one around normal roads.

Although I saw a racing blue 197 the other morning and my god did it look good, anyone who says they look just like a standard model need shooting. The width of the thing at the front was unreal.

182BG
I like the corsa, yes its styling is a bit extreme, but why not??? Car companys are dumbing down the styling, to a point where its almost become boring. I think vauxhall were wise to take the risk and go a bit extreme.

now i wouldnt sell my old clio for a new one, if it was gonna be the same/similar or worse. I would go for something totally different, thats why i think the corsa appeals to me more IMO

plus the tuning capabilites is something i like also :)