ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wargame: Airland battle

Changes to often
Had a search but cant find anything on this.

http://www.wargame-ab.com/

Ive just started playing the beta after pre ordering it, and i must say it looking brilliant so far, the beta is multiplayer only, but its such a big improvement on the first game Wargame: European Escalation, which itself was a brilliant game.

anyone else playing or preorderd?

Nissan 350z
Im glad someone else on CS has noticed this amazing game. I have pre-ordered it as I owned a copy of the previous game European Escalation so I qualified for the -25% discount.

Spiezels is basically a top-down RTS game based on real life 1970's cold war era. The level of zoom is immense all the way from above the clouds down to individual units (think Supreme Commander) but there is no base building. The maps are divided into zones and zones located at the edge of the map allow for units to reinforce from that point. You generate points by holding zones or killing enemy units. Tank costs 30 points, Soldiers 20 points etc you get the idea.

For example:
Zoomed out
http://grogheads.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/AirLand-Battle-AAR-Image-4.jpg

Zoomed in
http://www.omnigamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/wargame_airland_battle-uk04.jpg

You pick and choose "decks" which is sorta like a unit roster. There's something mental like 700 units in the game and you select 40'ish to battle with that you can then use in a match. For example I decided to remove the default ammo trucks for the Brits and replace it with Chinooks.

[video=youtube_share;j-M4TLpsHC0]http://youtu.be/j-M4TLpsHC0?t=7m35s[/video]
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-M4TLpsHC0 and skip to 07:35 if it doesn't let me embed to a certain point.

Last edited:
  Nissan 350z
I imagine so as the last one wasn't ported to consoles either. Yeah it makes a nice change to have an RTS based on IRL modern units rather than WW2/Lasers etc

Changes to often
I think it is PC only yeh. I love the zoom function in the game!

Been really addicted to the beta, can't wait for the full game, I love supporting with heavy artillery, and bombing raid with the jets lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Had a search but cant find anything on this.

http://www.wargame-ab.com/

Ive just started playing the beta after pre ordering it, and i must say it looking brilliant so far, the beta is multiplayer only, but its such a big improvement on the first game Wargame: European Escalation, which itself was a brilliant game.

anyone else playing or preorderd?

That's intriguing. I didn't like the original at all - more a grind-game with a sprinkling of units, than a 'true' RTS in my mind. It was the complete opposite end of the Supreme Commander spectrum, where the player churning out the highest quantity of units in the game - wins.

It had a lot of premise though. I loved the modern European theatre setting with units that we easy to identify and work out their function. But as a game, it just didn't work for me - especially the silly fuel-usage. I think red-lining Veyrons use less fuel than an APC on 100 yards of grass; in this.

I will check out this game though - see if its any better.

D.

Nissan 350z
I will check out this game though - see if its any better.

D.

Multiplayer Co-op, 10v10 supported maps and more nations are the stand-out improvements for me.
The gameplay itself seems pretty much identical to European Escalation though.

Im hoping they address the skirmish matches so you can have proper: Player + AI vs AI + AI type matches as this was deffinately lacking in EE you could only do Player vs AI, Player + Player vs AI etc. Cant tell from the beta though as its MP only :(

Changes to often
Its abit one sided at the moment, i like playing as nato but keep getting my ass kicked lol, the Chinese and Russians are way to powerful in the game lol

Nissan 350z
Well after downloading the 1.9GB to the Beta client last night the campaign certainly seems ... different! Reminds me of the Total War games, with the Risk style campaign map split into zones and you have to chose where to move your army too. Still getting to grips with it but its a nice addition indeed.

Naturally i made a Brits only deck but we appear very lacking when it comes to AA. We just get Tracked Rapier launchers in a limited supply or some AA Infantry. Other nations seem to get a mix of AA guns or AA launchers :(
On the other hand our TOW missle Lynx helicoptors with their huge range and 1 hit KO charactistics seem overpowered.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well after downloading the 1.9GB to the Beta client last night the campaign certainly seems ... different! Reminds me of the Total War games, with the Risk style campaign map split into zones and you have to chose where to move your army too. Still getting to grips with it but its a nice addition indeed.

Naturally i made a Brits only deck but we appear very lacking when it comes to AA. We just get Tracked Rapier launchers in a limited supply or some AA Infantry. Other nations seem to get a mix of AA guns or AA launchers :(
On the other hand our TOW missle Lynx helicoptors with their huge range and 1 hit KO charactistics seem overpowered.

Really? Check out the following 5 seconds after 0:36....... :cool:

​D.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Nissan 350z
Haha it pretty much seems that way ingame too!

Scratch my earlier comment about Brit's lack of AA it appears to be a side affect of the Deck being made during Beta when all the units werent available. I have recreated it now and have access to some vehicles they must have added later on during the development process.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Haha it pretty much seems that way ingame too!

Scratch my earlier comment about Brit's lack of AA it appears to be a side affect of the Deck being made during Beta when all the units werent available. I have recreated it now and have access to some vehicles they must have added later on during the development process.

What are the extra units? The Brit's still feel stupidly weak against the PACT armies. Their planes seem better than most though.

Nissan 350z
Well when I created the Brit deck back in Beta even editing it never made these reappear; but deleting it and remaking it has opened up:
- FV434 Falcon (AA vehicle)
- Command Chieftain Mk10
- Rover Wombat / Rover Milan

There might be others that I haven't noticed because I don't use them but this is what has stood out to me so far.

Changes to often
im using a british deck with US airforce, seems to be a nice mix, especially dropping huge bombs with the stealth bomber :cool: