ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warning lights - randomly coming on

Maz

LY 200
Wasn't sure where to put this thread so apols if its in the wrong place.

Service, ABS, triangle shaped light and engine shaped light (sorry dont know the correct terms :eek: ) lights keep coming on, all at once whilst driving, any ideas what this is ? :S

Warranty runs out next month, any help would be great please :D

Mercedes C Class Sport
brake fluid is handbrake light and either the service or stop light comming on iirc. Id just check the manual first to see what the problem is

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
This happened to my 182 when I was driving down to Canterbury to part ex it for the P1. Got about 25 miles away from the place and the lights came on. Anyway, got there, switched engine off and back on, and they disappeared :)

Its when you need a service I think, it will come on automatically at random times to remind you. The ABS light may be due to dust, dirt or a faulty sensor on one of the wheels, too.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
the orange triangle is the ESP warning light

mine comes on every now and then, then goes away for a month of so :S

Mk4 .:R32
mine comes on every month or so. Usually when it's bad weather, not sure if that has any relation to the lights coming on or not

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Engine shaped light is the ejector seat about to fail. I'd exit the vehicle naked while its moving to counter it. Seems to work. Oh, and pics too ;)

Maz

LY 200
^ PMSL

Its not due a service for 6k, was suggested that it might be the pads, should get picked up on the mot then ?

Wouldn't have thought all those lights would come on if it was just a brake problem, but then it is renault I suppose. Does the brake fluid/handbrake light not come on? Maybe worth getting it on the clip at renault whilst its still in warranty incase its something electrical thats failing.

Maz

LY 200
Im thinking it could be to do with a sensor ? had the same thing happen on our V6 4Motion Golf and iirc that was a sensor.

BMW M135i
Just to make it clear again the SERV light doesn't mean you need a service it comes on with another light (usually) to indicate a fault.

I'd chuck it in to renault and see what the fault codes read, I get the ESP light on every now and again. Restarting it usually sees it off.

BMW M135i
I don't think its the pads+low fluid or the brake warning light would be on too and that'll be all that lights up then. The ABS and ESP lights don't usually come with that. And whats causing the toxic fume warning light to come on?

172 Race Car
'Anim@l' had this on his, turned out to be the brake pedal switch and a software download iirc........ His was done under warranty

Even if the pads are low, somethings not right, all those lights shouldn't be coming on because of that. Pretty sure if thats the case you could argue it.

Maz

LY 200
^ Yeah thats what I was thinking.

'Anim@l' had this on his, turned out to be the brake pedal switch and a software download iirc........ His was done under warranty

Brake pedal sensor ?

I had just stopped when I noticed the lights were on.

172 Race Car
^ Yeah thats what I was thinking.

Brake pedal sensor ?

I had just stopped when I noticed the lights were on.

I think thats what he said, was a while ago and ive slept since then.I dont think its the pads iirc they dont have wear sensors on them.

Maz

LY 200
PMSL if they were nice sparkly colours hun I wouldn't mind but they are boring red and orange :p

Last edited:
  Rally bus
Check the earth connection on the electrics too, dirty earth contact can cause strange warning light effects.

Worn pads/low fluid doesn't cause the service light to come on, well it didn't on mine anyway :eek:

Da

Less
Service, ABS and ESP lights are the symptoms of the brake pedal switch as already mentioned. Mine was sorted under warranty but it can be done DIY if you prefer?

As for the "engine shaped" light, is this coming on at the same time as the others or independently?

Da

Less
Strange one that then Marie, could be an ECU issue in which case I'd get it to Renault ASAP with the warranty looming! :) Does the car behave differently when they're lit, bearing in mind you'll lose ABS, ESP and traction/cruise control.

Maz

LY 200
I had was pulling into a parking space when I noticed the lights on all at once so not sure.

The engine management light has came on, on its own a couple of times in the past but not thought anything of it tbh.

Going for MOT on friday will see if they say anything and book it into Renault for next week.

Da

Less
Engine management could be a separate issue then, but like I said i believe the other three are linked to the common problem of brake pedal switch.
Do they come on after long periods of driving or at motorway speeds etc?

Da

Less
Yep, same as mine then. 99% certain it's the brake pedal switch Marie :)

As for engine management.... ;)

Maz

LY 200
Is that the sensor ? thats what was suggested on another forum too, they suggested the engine management was somthing to do with my cat back ?