ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Waste of £9k

Evo on the cup The steering still isnt as sharp and talkative as a clio williamss you could of saved a lot of money there.

Just stiring ;) but thought it might get a nice minging gold wheels type argument going...

Renault Laguna Coupe

and however much you might like to (I would) you cant buy a Williams - they have been unavailable for some years now....

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

There are still a couple of delivery mileage Williams 3 kicking about I believe. Marchants Renault had one a while ago, on an R reg.

Obviously u can buy Willys secondhand, but getting one new is near impossible as they stopped production in 96, and as I said I beleive there were a couple floating around that were "new".

And expect to pay top whack for it if you can find one. Marchants wanted £15,000

Paul

Renault Laguna Coupe

Itd be nice though - one of those things that would break your heart to wear out but you just couldnt resist driving!

Why would you want an old designed car new??? Yeah pay cheaper for a second hand one but NEW??? noway its like formula 1 using 1996 cars they have no chance with newer ones

Basically the deal I was looking at when getting a new car this year was £278 a month for three years for a Cup and £4k at the end or £200 a month for two years for the loan for the Williams. If you add on fixing the williams it wouldnt be that far off. Plus the Williams might still be worth 3kish in a few years if I keep it nice and the Cup worth maybe £7k minus the £4k you still have to pay off. So overall the ownership costs are quite similar but one car is shiny and new and does 35 not 25mpg. Not sure if I regret not getting the cup but the L reg Clio factor does make it easier to cope with all those carpark dints that magically appear and it would be difficult owning a £13000 car that isnt an early high mileage Porsche 964.

BMW 320d Sport

I would have thought if you buy a mint Williams and look after it, its not gonna lose hardly anything at all come resale time, if youre interested in that kind of thing. Whereas a 172/Cup will depreciate heavily like most modern cars.

But a lot of people given the choice of an almost new 172 or a mint Williams would have the 172. Most people dont want to spend that kind of money on a 10 year old car without air con, alcantara, all the toys. Personally Id have the Williams, and maybe theres a few Cliosport members whod agree, but on the whole the man in the street would have no reason to get the Willy - the 172 is quicker, newer and better specified.

Id go for a Williams, but thats becuase I dont necessarily mind spending a lot of time on a car. Ideally, Id have both!

The Willy is a real legend for good reason.

williams and trophy

But a lot of people given the choice of an almost new 172 or a mint Williams would have the 172. Most people dont want to spend that kind of money on a 10 year old car without air con, alcantara, all the toys. Personally Id have the Williams, and maybe theres a few Cliosport members whod agree, but on the whole the man in the street would have no reason to get the Willy - the 172 is quicker, newer and better specified

Nick Read

ClioSport Admin
hahahahahaaha a 172
faster than a willy? lol

theres only 1 that i know of and thats tim os lol

jon

172 Cup, Caterham R300

I done 17,000 miles in a Williams, 11,000 miles in a 172 and notched up 2,000 in a Cup and both 172s are noticeably quicker than the Williams. As for the handling, the Cups spot on I reckon!

BMW 320d Sport

LOL yeah I knew you were gonna say that Jon, yours is very quick, Ive always said so, Craggys as well - Id take yours against a 172 any time. But they are four-wheeled freaks. 99% of standard Williams would get slaughtered by *any* standard 172, *any* time, *any*where. Sorry mate, but Ive seen it at drag strips time and time again, most standard Willys have no chance of running 14s. I dont know why but yours is much faster than it should be.

you know I aint biased towards 172s cos I love the old school 16v & Williams, but I just got to tell it like it is!

320d M Sport

hear here!! Ive seen Craggys Williams in action, its fekkin fast, when we did times 0-100s with the AP22, he beat me by 0.1 secs! I did 17.2 and he was 17.1..... and Craggys is one of the faster ones I believe? Plus its not standard, both cars are top,top motors though and I hate all this 172vs Williams snobbery....... so there!:devilish:

Paddy

Its pretty sound that nobody has gone on a rant about this, shows what nice people we all are:). About a year ago I had a mk 2 golf gti and was going to sell it and get a 5. I asked what everyone on the evo forum thought and got pages of abuse! Golf owners were calling me a ******* for even thinking about it and both were saying the other car was minging. Not a single person answered my question about what they are like to drive. i regret not getting a cup when things go wrong but I love having a Williams when the road gets twisty so arent bothered really. There is always going to be days when a different car would be better which is why everyone should have at least 5 (TVR 350C for dry days, RS4 when you need an estate, Caterham R500 for the track, Williams/Cup for everyday and a Muira for recreating the start of the Italian job)...