ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird fuel needle/miles to empty problem?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Afternoon folks.

Weird one, the phase 1's petrol guage seems to drop very quickly (although not necessarily using more petrol than normal)? - it drops to empty and sits there not moving?

The 'miles to empty' just flashes four lines like so: - - - -

The fuel warning light came on after a while also but the needle was already at the bottom? Anyone shed any light? Any way to reset this/calibirate the needle? Cheers lads!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Mines exactly the same Danny. Everyone gets in my car and says "I think you need some fuel." It'll be sat on the red but trip computer will show 60 miles left. And when you do the needle sweep thing and scroll through the trip, it'll show 6-7 litres left in the tank

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Does this happen everytime Dan mate?

As I had a similar issue but it was just one time. Ended up filling more than normal (beans for a week) and it sorted itself out just by the needle going higher than usual.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Does this happen everytime Dan mate?

As I had a similar issue but it was just one time. Ended up filling more than normal (beans for a week) and it sorted itself out just by the needle going higher than usual.

Fairly often mate aye, weird one! I'm going to give the earth strap on the n/s behind the arch a clean up and see if that helps any!

@TheEvilGiraffe - go f**k yourself please!

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
I had this happen once over xmas.Red light on 47 miles left,reset trip computer a few times then it changed too 3 miles left,oddly seems to have fixed itself since.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
When my needle hits the red I still have 9 litres in the tank, I took it to bottom of red and still the light don't come and it says 38 miles left, didn't want to risk it and just filled up

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
I had a black 182 with only 6k on it as soon as red light came on after a few miles it conked out.Very bizarre

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Aye its a weird one - i also can't work out why its not giving me a miles to empty reading either - its making me think its a related problem?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Aye its a weird one - i also can't work out why its not giving me a miles to empty reading either - its making me think its a related problem?
Does it never give you miles to empty reading?

It'll disappear once you have less than a gallon left in the tank. They all do that. In fact all Renault's do that, including my 2015 vivaro(Renault based van)

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I have a slightly strange low fuel thing, when I reach the point of the low fuel light coming on, if I scroll to the miles left till fill needed then I just get ----.

Not really that useful, being told you've got low fuel but not how much.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I have a slightly strange low fuel thing, when I reach the point of the low fuel light coming on, if I scroll to the miles left till fill needed then I just get ----.

Not really that useful, being told you've got low fuel but not how much.
As I said above, once you get below a gallon left in the tank, the miles to empty then goes to ----

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Very simply put, this is most likely to be due to the instrument cluster loosing the fuel level sender info.

Put some fuel in
Run the ADAC test
Clear any codes (j _ _ t)
Carry on as normal and see if it is resolved

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It is very important that the codes be removed. If they come back, you've got an issue somewhere either with the float, float signal or the wiring which the signal goes thru.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Very simply put, this is most likely to be due to the instrument cluster loosing the fuel level sender info.

Put some fuel in
Run the ADAC test
Clear any codes (j _ _ t)
Carry on as normal and see if it is resolved

Excuse my ignorance mate, but is the ADAC test done with a multi meter? Also, the code you've described, i'm fairly certain that displays when you do the self diagnostic (holding the stalk button in and turning the ignition on)?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Excuse my ignorance mate, but is the ADAC test done with a multi meter? Also, the code you've described, i'm fairly certain that displays when you do the self diagnostic (holding the stalk button in and turning the ignition on)?

ADAC test is the self diagnostic test mate.

Scroll through the menu with the stalk button to see if there's any codes and clear them with the mileage trip reset in the middle i think.

Renault Clio182 bean
My fuel gauge is weird too, seems to be fairly common. It would show 50miles to empty the needle was near the bottom, i was on a dual carriage way and the fuel light came on and then broke down not a minute later lol and the trip said 'miles to empty ---'. I wouldnt mind but it was 2.00am and i didnt renew my AA breakdown cover FML. Hasnt played up since so nothing to diagnose as of yet.... until i break down again.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Ah right okay, didn't realise you could reset it!
I had to do the trip reset 3 times since the same problem occured danny.Must be the great renault electrics,since having the jms rs2 fitted I avoid looking at the guage as it drops quickly .