ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird grease on inside of wheel? (Pics)

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
Hi took my N/S front wheel of today and noticed this grey/brown thick grease on the inside of my wheel...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367083016.311944.jpg

Then had a look behind the caliper, think its the cv joint(?) and had great all over it... I haven't had any work done on that side in over a year, except new tyres last month. Is it something to worry about?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367083077.495179.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367083087.061876.jpg

Yup that's CV grease. The shitest stuff they put in cars, bloody awful to try and remove.

And yes you will want to replace your CV boot, as it could eventually knacker the joint if it's not lubricated well. Try to find out of the boot has split, or it's just slipped off, if it's the later it's easy to sort.

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
Yup that's CV grease. The shitest stuff they put in cars, bloody awful to try and remove.

And yes you will want to replace your CV boot, as it could eventually knacker the joint if it's not lubricated well. Try to find out of the boot has split, or it's just slipped off, if it's the later it's easy to sort.

Cool. Thanks Dan.

Out of interest, any idea how much a CV thingy is?

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Looks as mentioned that the cv boot clip has simply split there. But as Dan mentioned check it, I all's ok, repack with cv grease and use a jubilee clip on it. Without taking end if cv shaft off and using standard boot clip that's the best option a jubilee

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
Awesome. Thanks guys, I will take it to the garage and get it sorted.

For something as important as steering, I'm not going to botch it with a jubilee clip!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Jubilee clip is not a bodge, its better than the clip that was there.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
the standard clips are awfull! and so are the newish type grip and lock clips. jub clip and be done. its only there to hold the boot on. nothing serious to flap about