ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird leak down test results on badly tapping 182 Engine 75k miles FSH

Maxi Megane and 182
I have a tapping noise on my 182 which has dramatically got worse to the point that it died and it now won't run unless tow started.
It turned over cleanly and normally with no noise.
I have tested all the usual things like cam timing, plugs, leads, injectors, coilpack etc before tow starting it.

Suspecting a valve or follower problem I removed the cam cover and on seeing nothing out the ordinary I decided to do a leak down test and got the following results with the cams removed so all valves are fully closed:

Test 1
Cyl 1 12% leak
Cyl 2 5% Leak
Cyl 3 5% Leak
Cyl 4 9% Leak

Suspected it was inlet valves not seating fully as air was slightly leaking from inlet manifold and as engine was cold decided to redo the test with a bit of oil poured into each cylinder to make a better seal.

Test 2
Cyl 1 3% Leak
Cyl 2 1% Leak
Cyl 3 1% Leak
Cyl 4 13% Leak

Strange that it got worse on 4 but one thing I did notice is that the engine turned over slightly when the pressure was applied.

This leads me to think it may be a ring/bore problem and the repositioned rings weren't sealing as well.

Any ideas or comments/suggestions before I tear the engine apart?