ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Well it's turbo time advice on doing it with sm inlet pls

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Decided that I'm going low boost turbo going fit myself ( well hover about while my m8 does it)
I seen Ed do a complete kit
sbworkz do one that 600 cheaper thou it don't come with ecu, Chris at efi does the ecu and mapping for 550.

Is there any other options I have ?
My car has the sm inlet so space for piping seems a struggle, anyone give me advice on what I'm getting myself into ???
Im installing a quaife gearbox at the same time so going to take engine out to make the whole deal easier.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Turbo build is never going to be cheap. There are various routes you can take, ED, ClioTurbo, SBWorx or you can fit a 225 manifold and turbo and have a custom downpipe made.

To aid piping you could source an IC with inlet and exit both on the passenger side

330i. E30 Touring.
I would sell the SM inlet, and do it on a standard inlet. So many off the shelf kits available now that it seems strange to do it any other way.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Turbo build is never going to be cheap. There are various routes you can take, ED, ClioTurbo, SBWorx or you can fit a 225 manifold and turbo and have a custom downpipe made.

To aid piping you could source an IC with inlet and exit both on the passenger side
I'm wanting a kit to save myself the trouble never even thought of an IC like that,
I spoke to Clio turbo he has done an sm one before I've spoke to sb I'm sending them details so they can see what they can do, I've not heard back from Ed yet,

I was hoping when I get info back I could run it past people on here make sure I'm not getting ripped off.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Basically all the kits out there will work with the SM inlet with a little adaptation to the boost pipes. Simple stuff to fabricate really

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Personally I doubt any gains you might get from the sm inlet would be seen on a low boost conversion. Surely the end result will be the same as every other one, only with a more expensive inlet?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Yeah is there gonna be any benefit at all to keeping the inlet? Surely just gonna make it more hassle for, if any, gain. I'd sell the inlet and put it towards the turbo.

I think @optical has looked into it, but I may be making that up lol

dan's cast offs.
The one Andy did with one ended up higher power than average as you'd expect from the inlet anyway. Also will help a bit with inlet temps with not having a manifold on top of the engine.

Wouldn't go with a double pass inter cooler though. Would be worth looking at flipping the plenum over so you have a short run from the intercooler to the inlet. Also with a good cooler, not cheap Chinese one, you could end up with decent inlet temps.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
The inlet is staying, the difference it makes over standard is huge, I'm no expert tbf, but all the turbos I have had use a similar style inlet, it seems like the only hassle is because the kits need different tubing so I need custom tubing, the d
I'm thinking of taking the car to whoever I'm the kit off to check and measure it so there is no messing around,

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
you can flip the inlet like @bloke suggests, only issue is extending certain parts of the loom. No hassle at all really

I'd sell the inlet. Save the hassle and use a standard one. You'll still be in the same position come the end, but you'd have possibly saved some money and had less hassle. The inlet was never the limiting factor with boost, it's the standard internals.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
I been in discusstions with various people today unfortunately Ed can't supply a kit could only do it situ
Would like to add what a lovely guy spent a good bit of his time on the phone.

Spoke to Chris at efi he has done a couple and they made 240ish rather than the usual 228 he thinks keeping the inlet is a good idea

Still don't know where to get the kit from
I really don't want to have the car in bits for days while I modified piping and wait for bits to come as my friend is doing the build for beer tokens

On another note will I need an oil cooler ? The car will be doing a fair bit of track time

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Flipping the inlet is certainly an option, there have been a few of these boosted on the inlet would live to pick someone who has done it's brain

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Will I need to use a ph1 fuel rail and add extra coolant pipes as the kits don't seem to include this

dan's cast offs.
phase 1 rail with reg and return, ideally phase 1 pump as well but you can just fit a return line into the top of the pump.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I been in discusstions with various people today unfortunately Ed can't supply a kit could only do it situ
Would like to add what a lovely guy spent a good bit of his time on the phone.

Spoke to Chris at efi he has done a couple and they made 240ish rather than the usual 228 he thinks keeping the inlet is a good idea

Still don't know where to get the kit from
I really don't want to have the car in bits for days while I modified piping and wait for bits to come as my friend is doing the build for beer tokens

On another note will I need an oil cooler ? The car will be doing a fair bit of track time

For the sake of 12bhp I'd be flogging the inlet but that's just me.

Best of luck with the project.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Buy any of the kits, it's only a slight modification to the pipe work required which is not rocket science

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Got a kit sorted it includes everything including fuel rail, Chris is mapping it
Is it possible for me to drive the 300miles for mapping without piggyback ecu and map ??
Could I just stick old filter on inlet and let turbo push air to atmosphere or I really would like to drive at at least 70 on the way down would that be ok without a map if all connected up ?
So I need a thermic oil cooler any advise on size ?

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Buy any of the kits, it's only a slight modification to the pipe work required which is not rocket science
Your right after taking a proper look it's only cutting a bit of pipe and leaving a bit out I panicked for nothing it seems

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
For the sake of 12bhp I'd be flogging the inlet but that's just me.

Best of luck with the project.
I don't have my old inlet I sold it on and the inlets don't seem to sell well so it's more hassle to get rid of it, I flung so much money at the car so far I stop Caring,

My Mrs agrees with me spending on cars for some reason perhaps it's because I'm no longer in pub every weekend making a c**t of myself then coming home being sick on her over priced floors

dan's cast offs.
afik, standard injectors and map sensor but keep it off boost as much as possible and should be ok driving it? would double check with chris though.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Not worth the risk driving it IMO why don't you remove your ECU send to Chris so he can upload a base map for boost. He sends you the ECU back with the EFI module an you simply wire the module in (its super easy), and of course plug your ECU back in

Then drive there knowing it's a lot safer an he will tweak/customise the map for your car

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Is yours the 240 plus one with perfect torque curve Chris was telling me about ?

If you could send me some pics or info on the piping routing that would be really helpful m8

Yeah thats mine, first one done by efi and clio turbo, not actually sure any others have been done, its a nightmare in first gear, hardly any lag then just spins like mad, cant full throttle first gear at all, spins when changing to second if you manage to get a good gear change, mid range is ok when plodding along but higher up its amazing, does 115 in 4th gear, too scared to see what 5th will do. YOU DEFO NEED AN LSD DIFF.

If i had the choice id have had the 280 conversion done for an extra 400 ontop of what i payed for the inlet,

Ill massage you some pics @RichieJA

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Not worth the risk driving it IMO why don't you remove your ECU send to Chris so he can upload a base map for boost. He sends you the ECU back with the EFI module an you simply wire the module in (its super easy), and of course plug your ECU back in

Then drive there knowing it's a lot safer an he will tweak/customise the map for your car

Basically what I had Chris do with my Gen90 I drove from Barnstaple, Devon to him nice a steady... completely fine

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Cheers guys I'm super excited for this now, I'm hoping to have this completed for late January my turbo kit should arrive in a couple weeks then i just need the diff off north,

Sounds awesome not fast, mine is useless in first as it is. Your pics have helped a lot

I've decided to pull engine out, rebuild and paint it going to replace mounts etc aswell
I've ordered oil cooler too,

What a turbo timer is it worth having ??

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I wouldn't bother with a turbo timer, just learn to drive the last 5mins of your journey off boost as much as possible. On track days when back in the pits etc leave the car running for minute or 2 before turning it off

Clio 182
Got a kit sorted it includes everything including fuel rail, Chris is mapping it
Is it possible for me to drive the 300miles for mapping without piggyback ecu and map ??
Could I just stick old filter on inlet and let turbo push air to atmosphere or I really would like to drive at at least 70 on the way down would that be ok without a map if all connected up ?
So I need a thermic oil cooler any advise on size ?
Yeah it should be reet, I did the same when I turbod my Altezza, disconnect the waste gate so that it is purely venting to atmosphere and it will be running like an NA

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I dont see the point in risking the drive. simply send the ecu to be base mapped, it wont run like an NA. Although if you are keeping the SM chris can't put a base map on to suit it