ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Well this sucks..... (Vacuums)

banther

ClioSport Club Member
So,

I have a Dyson with a ball at the bottom that seems to have given up the ghost. It was always s**t with dog hair and didnt work properly on hard floors anyway.

I need a new one, anyone got any reccomendations?

Oddly I'm erring towards a Henry Hoover as I used one when I used to clean hotel rooms and it performed faultlessly. I dont really want another Dyson as they're expensive and this has been my second failed venture with one.

Vax? Hoover? One of those cordless jobbies?

World's most boring thread... begin!

IB4 - This isn't mumsnet

Get your Dyson serviced. I did and was like a new hoover. And get a swiffer sweeper for your hard floors, less hassle than hoovering them.

My cylinder had a crack in it which resulted in major suction loss. Only noticed when i was cleaning it and water was trickling out the bottom of the cylinder. Replaced it and was like new again.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
My cylinder had a crack in it which resulted in major suction loss. Only noticed when i was cleaning it and water was trickling out the bottom of the cylinder. Replaced it and was like new again.

Oh awesome ok.

I'll have a crack.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

In case the missus doesnt receive the DO NOT BUY text - does anyone have a Henry?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Funnily enough Im looking for a vacuum at the moment and have mostly hard floors. Henry's seem to be spot on tbh.

Or Hetty's might make it easier for you to finish?

numatic-hetty-hoover-het200a-inc-a1-kit-[3]-978-p.jpg

Dutty b**ch.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Funnily enough Im looking for a vacuum at the moment and have mostly hard floors. Henry's seem to be spot on tbh.

Or Hetty's might make it easier for you to finish?

numatic-hetty-hoover-het200a-inc-a1-kit-[3]-978-p.jpg

Dutty b**ch.

I'm ashamed to admit it but it's actually a Hetty we were/are going to get! Women...

John Lewis discount FTW.

I was called Henry Hoover at uni but that was for a different reason

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
If your Dyson wasn't much good on hard floors, I think it must be broken.

We've got a DC40 in the house and a really old (10+ year old) dyson in the garage (for hoovering the garage and the cars) and both are great. Of course the more modern DC40 has better suction and is much lighter and more manouverable, but even the old one we have can hold it's own.

Dysons truly are one of the best vacuum cleaners you can buy.

I've a Hetty.

Knock the Turbo button on and you'll be reet. Mrs uses it for hoovering the floors, I use it for cleaning up after building work. It loves it.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
If your Dyson wasn't much good on hard floors, I think it must be broken.

We've got a DC40 in the house and a really old (10+ year old) dyson in the garage (for hoovering the garage and the cars) and both are great. Of course the more modern DC40 has better suction and is much lighter and more manouverable, but even the old one we have can hold it's own.

Dysons truly are one of the best vacuum cleaners you can buy.

I think it is broken. I'll give the filters a clean and check but otherwise it's hello hetty.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Still not bad! That makes them cheaper than anywhere I can find.

Yeah - its only really good for things that are the same price anywhere. iPads, macbooks and Henry hoovers are the only thing I can think of.

Incidentally Macbooks are going Cheap at JL at the moment for those who are interested.

Clio
Yeah - its only really good for things that are the same price anywhere. iPads, macbooks and Henry hoovers are the only thing I can think of.

Incidentally Macbooks are going Cheap at JL at the moment for those who are interested.

Do you still the 5 year warranty? Thats the best thing JL is for.

do they still do price match as well without the discount?

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
My other half has just been given a Vax Mach Air 2. We've had a small Dyson for ages and with 2 dogs in the house wasn't coping at all. Plus it didn't have the spinning brushes on the bottom of it so meant needing to "foot drag" the floor first.
New Vax one has transformed the carpets and I'd rate it all day long!! Very light too. The only small problem is the length of the hose for doing the stairs but we've bought a hose extension for it and now I can leave the unit at the bottom and do more than half the stairs, or rather the other half can!!

banther

ClioSport Club Member
My other half has just been given a Vax Mach Air 2. We've had a small Dyson for ages and with 2 dogs in the house wasn't coping at all. Plus it didn't have the spinning brushes on the bottom of it so meant needing to "foot drag" the floor first.
New Vax one has transformed the carpets and I'd rate it all day long!! Very light too. The only small problem is the length of the hose for doing the stairs but we've bought a hose extension for it and now I can leave the unit at the bottom and do more than half the stairs, or rather the other half can!!

I do like the look of the Vax range. ALthough i is massively confusing!! So many makes and models.

Our pug cross has a double layer coat so he sheds ridiculous amounts. Just need something that will really suck that s**t up!! The spinning thing at the front of the dyson isnt fantastic either tbh.

I think I'll check the filters etc. if any results come up (that arent placebo effect) then itll do for now. If not I'll reconsider my options.

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
They do animal head hair heads for the Dyson, but they cost about £50 on their own

banther

ClioSport Club Member
They do animal head hair heads for the Dyson, but they cost about £50 on their own

Yeah I saw those - at one point it was OK at picking up hair but maybe its the new carpets making it more difficult.

Miele Cat & Dog is the best Hoover bar none.

German build quality and amazing suction.

http://www.johnlewis.com/miele-s8320-cat-dog-premium-cylinder-vacuum-cleaner-mango-red/p231656323

If mine broke, I'd buy another without even considering another brand.

Yeah this is the one Char was going on about at first but I told her to f**k off and that Dyson was king. Its the one the sales guys in store are told to shift to those who mention the word "pet" as a) they're good and b) they're very expensive!

Also - it seems you can let your dog operate it?

231656323alt1?$prod_main$.jpg

Has the brush bar stopped working on the Dyson ball?

Is that the thing at the front that automatically moves when you go off the edge of a rug onto a hard floor? If so - yes it still works.

I pulled it apart last night and pulled approximately 3 dogs worth of hair out of one of the filters. Waiting for the washable ones to dry then I'll give it another bash.

Miele as above, or Sebo equivalent, both excellent.

This beast?

sebo05-qpr.jpg

So options at the moment are Miele, Sebo or Hetty with an attachment. Hmmmmm.

If it doesnt work today (and it needs to as we have a full house at the weekend AGAIN) then off to John Lewis we go.

If it doesnt work today (and it needs to as we have a full house at the weekend AGAIN) then off to John Lewis we go.

Check the cylinder for cracks mate, i filled mine up with water when i was cleaning it and noticed water trickling out the bottom. Bit of glue/sealant over the crack then gaffer tape over once hardened transformed the power. It also had a split in the tube for the attachments so that might be why you're having problems with that. Sounds like there is an air leak somewhere and you're losing pressure.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Check the cylinder for cracks mate, i filled mine up with water when i was cleaning it and noticed water trickling out the bottom. Bit of glue/sealant over the crack then gaffer tape over once hardened transformed the power. It also had a split in the tube for the attachments so that might be why you're having problems with that. Sounds like there is an air leak somewhere and you're losing pressure.

Yeah I wrapped the tubes I could get to in tape just in case. Annoying as it ran out of warranty about 2 months ago. It hasnt been a sudden change just a gradual decline into unusability!

I run a cleaning firm and we only use Henry's (got loads of the things!)

Worst case scenario is they break out of warranty and you spend £25 on a new motor & 10mins fitting it and you have a brand new hoover again!

I can't personally work out why anyone would consider spending twice that on a Miele, Nikfisk etc when the Henry is just as good (arguably better as they're easier to fix). For domestic use, a Henry will go forever and ever anyway.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Right Dyson still doesnt work - piece of s**t. I'll just flog it on ebay as for repair.

I am still thinking the Henry. The missus is off to JL this afternoon to see if they have one in stock.

Cheers for the help everyone!!

Also danzman1991 I was watching videos re the upkeep of a Henry - even my sausage fingers should be able to replace the motor, I think.