ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Westfield part 2 - Track Harder

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
So its engineless now, did you not do Donington?
It was cancelled due to snow lol.

So yes it will be engineless soon. Got over £4k for it so that was good going.

Now to find a more modern engine for it. Looking at either a Duratec 2.0 or Honda K20.

Now to find a more modern engine for it. Looking at either a Duratec 2.0 or Honda K20.
Owned cars with both engines and personally prefer the Honda unit, both have pro's and cons's but either will do the trick nicely. So tempted by one of these now the Clio is scrap.

Knowing both , and the pitfalls of both i would always choose the duratec. The power and torque characteristics suit a quaife or BGH 5 speed type 9 box well . Your pushed to use 6 speed with the lower torque K series or honda .

Outright pace there is little to choose at the same power but the availability of engines and parts is both cheaper and easier the ford route . Back to back driving 2 similar powered but different engined cars i prefered the feel of the Ford based car.

And why not drop a 2.3 in rather than a 2.0 ? the extra hassles which are few are not that bad .

Also you can drop in a 240/50bhp duratec on a stock bottom end with pocketed pistons and it will hold together well at high rpm better than hondas seem too.

Lots more hassle to install a K20A too as the parts are off the shelf all over the place for a duratec into your chassis .

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Knowing both , and the pitfalls of both i would always choose the duratec. The power and torque characteristics suit a quaife or BGH 5 speed type 9 box well . Your pushed to use 6 speed with the lower torque K series or honda .

Outright pace there is little to choose at the same power but the availability of engines and parts is both cheaper and easier the ford route . Back to back driving 2 similar powered but different engined cars i prefered the feel of the Ford based car.

And why not drop a 2.3 in rather than a 2.0 ? the extra hassles which are few are not that bad .

Also you can drop in a 240/50bhp duratec on a stock bottom end with pocketed pistons and it will hold together well at high rpm better than hondas seem too.

Lots more hassle to install a K20A too as the parts are off the shelf all over the place for a duratec into your chassis .
Tempted to build one off a Mazda 2.3 bottom end and 2008 Focus head.

Its just the K20 route is far cheaper now.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Looks like I'm going the Honda route.

Potentially with the S2000's 6 speed box if my tunnel will accept it. Exciting times.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
new 2.5 i see you can build via dunnel

or buy crated

https://view.publitas.com/burtonpower/2018-catalogue-pages/page/15

:)
In a plot twist I've just bought a Duratec....a special one.

New engine spec:

2.0 Duratec
Cosworth Race Head (37mm inlet valve, 31mm exhaust valve)
Forged Slipper Pistons
Arrow forged rods
Arrow forged crank with keyway
480cc injectors
48mm DTH Jenvey bodies
Omex ECU
Omex Race loom
Titan Dry Sump

Video of the engine running at Northampton Motorsport. 305bhp @ 8500rpm 198lb/ft Peak Torque

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
In a plot twist I've just bought a Duratec....a special one.

New engine spec:

2.0 Duratec
Cosworth Race Head (37mm inlet valve, 31mm exhaust valve)
Forged Slipper Pistons
Arrow forged rods
Arrow forged crank with keyway
480cc injectors
48mm DTH Jenvey bodies
Omex ECU
Omex Race loom
Titan Dry Sump

Video of the engine running at Northampton Motorsport. 305bhp @ 8500rpm 198lb/ft Peak Torque

Bought the sequential box to go with it?

Since driving my mates 300bhp duratec caterham built by raceco i have to say get some wide rear arches.

Seriously though get someone to look at your diff housing and see if it needs any more bracing.

The common issue with that sort of power on westies is the diff cage.

They tear the welds unless you put triangular corner bracing in

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Since driving my mates 300bhp duratec caterham built by raceco i have to say get some wide rear arches.

Seriously though get someone to look at your diff housing and see if it needs any more bracing.

The common issue with that sort of power on westies is the diff cage.

They tear the welds unless you put triangular corner bracing in

I'm on a live axle. Its going to go bang in an amazing way...

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Live axle with that power and torque

[emoji23][emoji23]

Its going to be awesome.

My friends running his with the 2.3 Turbo engine out of and Mazda 3 MPS and that thing is hilarious with a live axel and open diff.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
305bhp is here!

30443371_10156253848277579_1452292416039026688_n.jpg

Brian builds some great diffs and boxes ,had a hand in the design of the first 6speed type 9 for caterham

Never had one break he built

Sells second car for wedding fund. Sells first car for wedding fund. Decided not to sell but split first car. Sells engine and gearbox. Buys mega spec double priced engine and needs another gearbox...

That’s Lbrench levels of man maths right there.

London misses you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I'll tell you what, this whim of mine for changing the engine has now cost me well over 5 figures...

I will never see this money back lol

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Bought a new dash and doors...

31179563_10156285090952579_1132300516215226368_o.jpg

31131369_10156285090262579_3072008571446099968_o.jpg

Dash fitted

31124647_10156285090277579_3592523041097121792_o.jpg

Considering I cot it out with a full size angle grinder I'm pretty happy with it!

Finished building my gearbox back up with new seals and bell housing.

31543262_10156300572487579_954744296160886784_o.jpg

Got it mounted to the engine. Just waiting on my new engine mounts to be made then it can be mounted back in.

31483039_10156300572502579_4794274862115848192_o.jpg

Then all whats left is all the fuel, oil and coolant routing! Oh and getting an exhaust made.