ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What are the common faults on a 182

I want a nice car that wont sound nasty when reved or cause me problems.

Does the 182 rattle or have any faults?

Sorry to keep posting topics about it, i just want to spend my money wisely.

Titanium 182

well yours about to buy the wrong car mate

my 172 is a dog 2 years down the line, more rattles really puts me off

move away from french!

get a civic

Well they rattle a lot Clios but put it this way loads of people have bought another so there is something good about them.

Biggest problem can be covered under warently.

The 4k rattle ie the exhaust rattles at 4k RPM is the biggest problem usually which is cureable.

Quote: Originally posted by Ralphy_VTS on 08 August 2004

Im being put off now.:(

Loved the test drive but want a solid car.
Dont worry the forum is full of negative posts as people only post problems with there cars you dont need help with car without problems.

Anyway there no perfect manurfactures VAG are having there problems and the recient surveys show Merc and other Germany cars are very down on build quality.

Dont woory about build quality that was the warently is there to cover problems, and no one has had any serious 182 problems

Just hearing all these horror stories is scaring me off!

Really do like the car though. Just keep hearing about 172/182s being down on power too. Really putting me off.

Quote: Originally posted by Ralphy_VTS on 08 August 2004

Just hearing all these horror stories is scaring me off!
Really do like the car though. Just keep hearing about 172/182s being down on power too. Really putting me off.
There not down on power yo have to remember that the 172 doesnt make 172 HP as we know in the UK it makes 166.6hp the difference is down to the French using a different type of hp its like saying you have $10 but since an USA dollar is different than a Australian dollar you have to say what dollars your talking about.

Alos many user know that RR operators stick huge power losses though the computer so users feel happy when the have big HP readouts for there car. Therefore many users ask for the ATW (At The Wheel) power and compair with that.

The 172 makes 166.6 UK hp and about 140hp at the wheels.

Titanium 182

basically mate

i wouldnt do it

alot of cash

i love my 172 brill looks good quick motor backed up with handling

as for the whole nice car thing

its just not

its not a mint drive like ud expect from a new ish car

id go for an ibiza 20vt on an 02 plate for around 8k

im after another, quick when mapped, reliable, loverly drive with mint interiors all the extras u could ever need and no rattles at all

oh and u wont be in as much debt

I think the 182 is the way to go if you want a brand new hot hatch. Its rated as the best hot hatch currently on the market and is a lot of car for the money.

Id keep an eye on the fact that a decent Ph2 172 can be had for a substantial saving, but it sounds to me like you want a brand new car with the full 3 years warranty. I dont think there are any really major problems with the 182 (or its predecessors) - most seem to be minor niggles. It also seems to me that your chances of having niggles fixed quickly depends on the quality and helpfulness of your local dealer.

Go get it!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I had a 172, part exchanged it for a 182.

Would I do it again........... Of course I would.

what else could I buy for that money that has that amount of toys/power/fun/etc

Sounds like you have personal doubts ralph and are looking for the littlest thing to put you off, so in that case you might as well buy a fiesta 1.2 and put your money in the bank.... that is after buying some nice slippers and a tweed cap ;)

Either that, or go buy the 182, drive it like its meant to be driven and only then will you appreciate why we buy the 182/172/cup etc.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

The other option is to meet up with a local 172/182 owner and let them show you the car.

Instead of the dealer, youll get a much more honest view of the car.
So, where are you based?

Ive got a 1 month old 182.... No real of putting issues for me.

Sure there are minor issues but the tiny rattles are not the reason why i got the car..I have a mazda 6 if I want to be all sensible and the Clio for when I want to scare myself sh*tless.

So far ive figured out that the clio is a better car than I am a driver....... which means I wont be getting bored any time soon.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Im in Reading.
Will be living in Bicester after the august bholiday.

I work in Bham so travel via the A34 everyday.

Mondeo STTDCI

There is not a better brand new hot hatch currently on the market that offers the drive, the toys and the fun of the Renault Sport Clio 182, for the £13,500 price tag. Period.

Thats all you need to know.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I have had mine since March.

Yep its had a few "Niggles" but thats all they are and my 182 is no different from any other new car i have had.Every car ive owned has had to have a short visit to the dealer to iron out niggles.They happen as the car gets used.

Whats important is that it has a long warranty so it wont cost you if you have problems.

Im suprised sometimes by how negative people are but then again people dont often come on here and say i have had no problems today so im not asking for help.

Its the best hatch out there,you could buy something else to avoid your fears and find out its worse and end up full of regret.

Its a cracker of a car and if you have chance of one go for it.You wont regret it one bit.

If i was buying again now id do the same again.

320d M Sport

had my saxo for 3 yrs, never once did it go back to citroen for warranty, had the 172 for 2 and half years, id say its been in 6 times?

all sh*tty niggling faults, not major, but it ends up pissin u right off.

oh and the dealers are useless, i think theyre something like 4th from the bottom in terms of customer service.

Mixed views here.

The simple thing is, both the CTR and 182 are level on performance, thats not the issue. My concern is french build quality, the Honda seems better put together and more refined.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

yeah and the honda also lacks options that teh 182 has as standard, ie aircon half leather etc.

So the CTR is a more expensive car to start with, and then you pay even more for the options.

Also, what youre comparing is the CTR to the 182, when the same class of cars is CTR v Meg225 v Focus etc.

Therefore it says alot for the clio to be competing against the class above.

Yaris Hybrid

The Honda is better built and more refined.

Straight line performance is for all intents and purposes even.

No one here will argue about those points.

If you can afford to pay the extra then buy a CTR.

If you can live without the gadgets or can afford to upgrade the CTR then buy one.

If you dont mind the less racey handling then buy a CTR.

Simple as that. Why are you still here posting and not at the Honda dealership?

judder

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 ff, R5 GTT

Im getting a clio 182 is October. Will be selling my 1 year old Ford Focus RS to pay for it.

The new RS focus had its faults.

sagging seats, replaced under warranty, Wobbly bonnet, again replaced under warranty and the odd squeak and rattle.

I have had over the last few years a new Focus 1.6, RS Focus, ford fiesta and they all had to go back to the garage within the first year.

Im looking forward to collecting my 182 and I expect that it will not be perfect, no cars are these days.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 08 August 2004

Well they rattle a lot Clios but put it this way loads of people have bought another so there is something good about them.

Biggest problem can be covered under warently.

The 4k rattle ie the exhaust rattles at 4k RPM is the biggest problem usually which is cureable.
to early to say on the 182.

Quote: Originally posted by Dean on 08 August 2004
basically matei wouldnt do italot of cashi love my 172 brill looks good quick motor backed up with handlingas for the whole nice car thingits just notits not a mint drive like ud expect from a new ish carid go for an ibiza 20vt on an 02 plate for around 8kim after another, quick when mapped, reliable, loverly drive with mint interiors all the extras u could ever need and no rattles at alloh and u wont be in as much debt

They cant be that bad bud, because you want another one ??

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=103039&PagePosition=1Clicky

Look at top gears web site. They have a section where readers tell of their reliability issues. The Renaults dont do too badly but the HCTypeR has many faults (been around longer, I suppose).

Id be surprised if theres much difference in reliability between all hot hatches in this price range within the 1st 5 years.

i dont know where this myth about CTR build quality comes from but they are UK made cars (Swindon) and come with the same questionable build quality as many different honda models made there in the past. i know plenty of people whove had problems both small and large with CTRs myself included. e.g. my CTR had incorrectly sized parts on the rear suspension which resulted in 2 new tyres, whole new rear suspension set up and new bearings on the near side rear wheel. Of the other common faults with CTRs are paint job quality (lot of problems with pock marks and pitting after only a very short period). Poor quality alloy finish and corrosion within 12 months, rattling dashboard, seat mounts .. essentially all the problems you are likely to get with any car. As with anything people generally only post about problems when they get them. Check out some of the honda forums to see what sort of problems people are having. My personal 2 year ownership of a CTR was great, i loved it. engine will be bullet proof but that doesnt mean its been put together well. id take the 182 handling and driver experience over the CTR everyday of the week .. even the new shape which is (allegedly !?!?) improved. my brothers got one and fundamentally the same problems are there

Titanium 182

Quote: Originally posted by phunkey_monkeh on 08 August 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Dean on 08 August 2004

basically mate

i wouldnt do it

alot of cash

i love my 172 brill looks good quick motor backed up with handling

as for the whole nice car thing

its just not

its not a mint drive like ud expect from a new ish car

id go for an ibiza 20vt on an 02 plate for around 8k

im after another, quick when mapped, reliable, loverly drive with mint interiors all the extras u could ever need and no rattles at all

oh and u wont be in as much debt

They cant be that bad bud, because you want another one ??

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=103039&PagePosition=1Clicky
true

but i think ralphys got a 10k loan which is a lot of debt i own my stuff out right and cant afford to sell them when im bord :p

also cups are alot cheaper than a new 182 :D

ralphy get a ctr u wont regret that !

Remapped derv Golf

Not sure about the cupd specced 182 but my the 172 cup has a very hard ride and rattles are really hard to get away from.