ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What discs/pads setup do you use on track?

Can anyone give me advice on what pads and discs to use for track? I know there are loads of threads out there but many people are indecisive and list multiple options. Just interested in a straight forward answer about what you use on track, how much they cost and what you think of them.

As far as I can tell a common track set up is Brembo HC discs and DS2500 pads? If this is a good setup where's the cheapest pace to get them? Do the rear brakes need to be as uprated as the front? I'm sort of on a budget so don't want to be spending ridiculous amounts on it (I know its a very improtant part of the car though so won't just cheap out on it)

Cheers guys.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Front: Brembo HC discs, Carbon Lorraine RC6/ Ferodo DS3000 pads goodridge braided hoses and ate super blue brake fluid.

Rear: standard discs/ pads.

Front: Brembo HC discs with Carbone Lorraine RC5+ pads
Rear: Standard (all that's needed)
Fluid: Motul RBF660 or 600

CL RC5+ from Ktec (usually the cheapest)
Brembo discs from @George@RTR_Parts on here
Fluid from wherever is cheapest.

Thanks! How much fluid do you usually need?

Front: Brembo HC discs, Carbon Lorraine RC6/ Ferodo DS3000 pads goodridge braided hoses and ate super blue brake fluid.

Rear: standard discs/ pads.

Whats the difference between DS2500 and DS3000 pads? As I see more people using DS2500's but rarely 3000's.

So I should just buy standard OEM discs and pads for rear, correct? Is it best to get these from one of the traders on the site or just from Renault?

WRX
@George@RTR_Parts is best to talk to. Standard discs and pads on rear are fine. Ate typ200 brake fluid and Brembo HC discs at front. Front pads are all down to how aggressive you are and how long you stay on track each session. Some people can get away with DS2500s, then you have others go for DS3000s, DS1.11, CLs, PF97s, Pagid Blues. I use DS2500s on my track car and Pagid Blues on my race one.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Whats the difference between DS2500 and DS3000 pads? As I see more people using DS2500's but rarely 3000's.

So I should just buy standard OEM discs and pads for rear, correct? Is it best to get these from one of the traders on the site or just from Renault?

The Ferodo DS3000 pad is much more aggressive compared to the DS2500, but they will ruin wheels if not cleaned often.

As above Geroge at RTR for the rear brakes etc.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Also depends if you want squeeky brakes on the daily drive or not. Does my head in when they squeek.

Quick question, are greenstuff/yellowstuff pads no good for clios?
Always seem to be rated on other cars.

CLIO 172,CLIO182
DS3000 on the front with Brembo Max ,rears DS2500 , braided hoses and Motul RBF 600 works fine for me, squeals but i don't really use it on the road.The only advice i can give is don't try and save money by buying anything with EBC written in front of them or Mintex .....................M1166 are ok but if you are out doing long stints on a hot day with no cooling you will get to a bend and your brakes will just not work.......................and that scares the s##t out of me.................!!!!!!!!

Track 172 Cup
Brembo HC disc's / DS1.11 (which I buy from George) but I haven't ran with the DS1.11 yet as I was using CL RC6 which were great, just fancied a change and to try something else only thing I found was the DS1.11 need getting hot hot hot to bed them in (gradually building up heat and then leave to cool) where as the RC6 were just chuck in and go (no bedding in required) If I don't like the DS1.11 (which probably wont be true after speaking to some people that use them) I will just go back to the CL. And just running the ATE Superblue/Gold fluid although the blue isn't made anymore I don't think and I've never had a problem with the brakes on my car other than the dust ruined my nice white 2118's lol but i'm lazy and didn't clean them very often.

CP5100 AP racing calipers, 295mm disks. Ran Fedoro DS 3000 pads and only got 8 races (circa 200km) and they are toast - but race only car. Now aboit to try the DS1.11 pads which claim less wear - bear in mind I race in the heat of the middle east and have an 1100kg weight limit. Will know in three week how they work!

This is the pads after the eight races..,,
image.jpeg

Renault Clio 172
Try ebc yellows, george at RTR can get them cheap and they work well for the money, lack abit of feel when cold but still useable on the road no problem

HC discs and ds 1.11s, front; 2500 for rear with standard discs. Motul fluid. Excellent set up, never had brake fade and wear is excellent with ds 1.11s. 2500s were crap on front as were cl when wear is considered

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
I am running Brembo HC and CL 5+ , KTR braided lines and standard rear with a brembo pad. Combined with R888 tyres the brake performance is impressive, I love late/out braking the bigger faster cars on the track. I swap the front pads out for Ferodo DS Performance pads for road use as CLs have no springs and rattle. The CL brake dust has trashed my alloys.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
HC discs and ds 1.11s, front; 2500 for rear with standard discs. Motul fluid. Excellent set up, never had brake fade and wear is excellent with ds 1.11s. 2500s were crap on front as were cl when wear is considered

Proper set up that Matt, hope you're well mate. What I'd run and recommend for a dedicated track car/race car :up:

Clio 172 (CUP)
Front: Brembo HC + Pagid RS 4-2 Blues
Rear: Brembo disc and pads standard spec.
Fluid: ATE Superblue
Use: track days, sprints with R888 tyres.

I'm still fairly new and learning the car, but I'm happy with the set up so far and certainly with the cold bit for sprinting as I can't warm up the brakes beforehand. I do seem to have to concentrate more on not locking up the front wheels into the bends than anything else. Not noticed any problem with brake dust as yet. Going to try a different caliper-disc set up for comparison but will be keeping these as I might well come back to them. Pads aren't cheap but have a reputation of lasting well.

Front: Compbrake 4 pots with 295mm discs, DS3000 pads and braided lines.
Rear: Renault OE discs, pads and lines.
Fluid: ATE superblue

The above set-up is pointless on road tyres, needs R compound tyres to benifit from the additional stopping power.

Had yellowstuff on my fat 6 MPS (1700kg) at Oulton and they where fine, bit wooden when really pushed to the limit and only lasted the day, but good for a budget light track/fast road pad.

Clio N3
After using EBC Bluestuff and DS3000 last season Im now on CL RC6 and they are epic! ATE discs and ATE fluid.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
As @JamesBryan
Front: Brembo HC discs with Carbone Lorraine RC5+ pads
Rear: Standard (all that's needed)
Fluid: Motul RBF660 or 600

PH2 172
BREMBO PADS.jpg BREMBO PAD FACES 16K.jpg BREMBO PAD WEAR 16K.jpg I will continue to use HC discs & std Brembo pads.Replaced the pads a couple of week ago after 16k road miles & 8 hours on track at Llandow,Bedford & Blyton Park.
They did get a bit warm 1st time out on track after 5 or 6 laps as I started to build up some confidence,but I let them cool down for 10 minutes & after that they have been more than equal to the grip of the 595R`s,with no fade & very little dust.
I am impressed that there is no friction material cracking or disintergration,there is some still some wear left in them,the discs will do a 2nd turn & that I got some change out of £22 to replace them.
If you are just starting out on a budget,there are probably other basic running gear items that need renewing such as bushes,bearings,top mounts,ball joints,shocks etc rather than blowing a wad on exotic pads.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I destroyed a set of Brembo HC disc's and pads at Donington Park, They literally did 2.5 track days with about 2k road driving (pottering), the disc's are great pads are soft as butter.

Clio 172,Vw Bora Tdi
If we are talking track use and some driving to the track,
what engine oil would be best suited?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If we are talking track use and some driving to the track,
what engine oil would be best suited?

Depends if you don't mind spending the money, you could either:

Get a quality oil like Fuchs Titan and replace every 6 months.
or
Use the oem Elf Evolution 900 SXR and replace after every track day or two.

Clio 172,Vw Bora Tdi
Depends if you don't mind spending the money, you could either:

Get a quality oil like Fuchs Titan and replace every 6 months.
or
Use the oem Elf Evolution 900 SXR and replace after every track day or two.

Is Titan race pro s 5w40 the one ?
and how much will it last ?
Being a race competition oil.
Is Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40 suitable?

PH2 172
I destroyed a set of Brembo HC disc's and pads at Donington Park, They literally did 2.5 track days with about 2k road driving (pottering), the disc's are great pads are soft as butter.
Well there you go,I don`t have the talent to do that,not that Donington is that heavy on brakes.A few dabs here and there.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Well there you go,I don`t have the talent to do that,not that Donington is that heavy on brakes.A few dabs here and there.

I'd done more than 1 track day on them, I just destroyed them at Donington. Its a bit more than a dab in all fairness on standard brakes.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
I thought DS2500s were good until this happened at Bedford...

image1_3.jpg

now running Pagid RS14s with Brembo Xtra HC drilled discs

Seems to me that pretty much the majority of people use standard Brembo discs and pads for the rear. Has anyone had experience using Mintex discs and pads on the rear? At £40 cheaper than the Brembo's it would be helpful to me as I'm on a tight budget.

Ebay link for mintex pads and discs(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIO-SPORT-CUP-2-0-REAR-MINTEX-BRAKE-DISCS-WITH-BEARINGS-ABS-RING-BRAKE-PADS/261267692102?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=36381&meid=d1878e35452040be9d272d4ece5769e8&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=271899481469)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Seems to me that pretty much the majority of people use standard Brembo discs and pads for the rear. Has anyone had experience using Mintex discs and pads on the rear? At £40 cheaper than the Brembo's it would be helpful to me as I'm on a tight budget.

Ebay link for mintex pads and discs(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIO-SPORT-CUP-2-0-REAR-MINTEX-BRAKE-DISCS-WITH-BEARINGS-ABS-RING-BRAKE-PADS/261267692102?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=36381&meid=d1878e35452040be9d272d4ece5769e8&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=271899481469)

From what I've read (I need new rear discs and pads) mintex are fine on the road but s**t bricks after a lap of a track.

I'm swaying towards them for the rear as they're cheap and the rears do f**k all anyway.

I'm thinking save £40/60 on the rears and put it towards better pads up front.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Front DS1.11 with HC Brembo discs, very very good and got them for a very good price from @George@RTR_Parts
Rear standard discs with brembo oMe pads again work perfect.
My car is just a track car if you using on the road the brakes maybe abit squeaky until hot!

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Front DS1.11 with HC Brembo discs, very very good and got them for a very good price from @George@RTR_Parts
Rear standard discs with brembo oMe pads again work perfect.
My car is just a track car if you using on the road the brakes maybe abit squeaky until hot!

Glad you're pleased with them Josh :up:

@MattyPerkins I'd only recommend using either Brembo or Renault rear discs. They have better quality bearings in than the other options and will last longer. That's were the cost difference is, (and I can supply a lot of manufacturers including Mintex)

Vioar

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio RS 182
Hell guys,
You use HC brembo normal disc or HC brembo max grooved for the front?
Thank you