ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do people spend on their cars ?

Clio 172 Cup
So, I have just sorted all my paper work out for my Clio and done a folder and I know I shouldn’t have but added up what I have spent on her in my 12 months of ownership and OMG 😮

Guess looking for a bit of healing here as I bet there are much worse cases than me 😂 and to justify why I could have taken the family on a 2 week holiday with what I have spent lol

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Very little usually. I very rarely keep a car long enough for it to actually need anything spending on it. I think I've only MOT'd a car once or twice in the past 6 or 7 years

Clio 172 Cup
Lmao 😂 lads thanks 🙏 I wish I could buY something and just run it but I seem to rebuild the bloody things then get bored sell and loose a s**t load of money 😂 was The cycle continues, someone gains when they buy my cars tho 😂

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I just look at it as I could be spending £xxx a month just to buy the car so I'm quids in really. That's also the reason I didn't buy a new megane, so catch22 keeping me in an old s**t French box instead of a new one.

You will look back one day and think, mmmm.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Well before it became a track car project 12months was usually; £300 insurance, £250ish tax, £80 service (by me), £100-200 on random repairs/faults. So about £800. Not including new tyres or brakes in that because I had the same set on for about 3 years! And the £500 cambelt hit every 4-5 years. So £1000 a year average ish?? Probably underestimating tbh

Superwoman90

ClioSport Club Member
  Peugeot 207
Personally I keep spending to what’s necessary and am content with that.
I’ve seen too many people spend tens of thousands on their car and either it ends in tears or they are never happy with it and can’t cap their spending.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Had mine 8 years now and spent loads on it as you can imagine.
It needs belts doing on it again as well 😔

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I've got to start spending on my phase 1 soon :(

And I suppose with buying a 220 that I plan to keep for a while, I'm gonna have to spend on that too. With it being fairly new I'll actually make an effort to keep servicing up to date

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Depends the daily gets nothing spent on it unless it’s an mot fail.
Clio is a toy so I don’t keep track.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
too bloody much is the answer to that never add up what you've spent it will make you cry but its always more than i tell the mrs tho🤣🤣

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Something like this.

61B2D9D7-EF5D-4F06-A0D1-A51E477C9EB8.gif

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Not a clio but old Volvo that’s done about 210k Miles. Aside from the fact it only really likes posh fuel, things that weren’t planned to last 26yrs/200+k are starting to fail. Monthly. 😂😭 but I can’t ever see myself selling it so the monthly bills are making it ready for the next 200k...... triggers broom....

The previous owner spent a fortune on gen. Volvo parts - washer pipes and all sorts, all invoices and recorded in a folder!!!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Bought my M3 in May, spent probably £3k on it, and needs another couple early part of next year to get it perfect body and mechanically.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Reading through the comments in this thread has reaffirmed that cars are money pits, a depreciating asset.

I'm well aware that I am on a car enthusiast forum and I was a car enthusiast for quite some years, however how many people actually see a car as a tool rather than a toy? Also; there are alot cheaper ways to go much faster than a car, why not go down that route and save yourself thousands of pounds?

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Reading through the comments in this thread has reaffirmed that cars are money pits, a depreciating asset.

I'm well aware that I am on a car enthusiast forum and I was a car enthusiast for quite some years, however how many people actually see a car as a tool rather than a toy? Also; there are alot cheaper ways to go much faster than a car, why not go down that route and save yourself thousands of pounds?
1 i like living,
2 i like corners
3 don't like power rangers or looking like one
4 need a radio

My clio has been really cheap to run over the 16 years. Doesn't get used much the last big spend was b14s, and a cam belt about 5 years ago.
Don't use it much tho

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
1 i like living,
2 i like corners
4 need a radio

My clio has been really cheap to run over the 16 years. Doesn't get used much the last big spend was b14s, and a cam belt about 5 years ago.
Don't use it much tho

You can like corners and living and still own a bike...

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Btw; I've asked the question that I have because I'm curious about peoples mindsets and why they do, what they do. I am looking for a conversation, not a battle.

1 i like living,
2 i like corners
4 need a radio

Don't use it much tho

We all like living lol. I'm not quite sure what your point is with that one?

I enjoy corners too, but obviously theres more fun to be had and more talent required to corner fast on a bike vs a car. Agree or disagree?

I get the power ranger thing. These people that dress up as power rangers to ride on the road are daft 😂. You're bugged if you need the toilet.

Radio wouldn't bother me tbh. I haven't listened to a radio in years.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Btw; I've asked the question that I have because I'm curious about peoples mindsets and why they do, what they do. I am looking for a conversation, not a battle.

We all like living lol. I'm not quite sure what your point is with that one?

I enjoy corners too, but obviously theres more fun to be had and more talent required to corner fast on a bike vs a car. Agree or disagree?

I get the power ranger thing. These people that dress up as power rangers to ride on the road are daft [emoji23]. You're bugged if you need the toilet.

Radio wouldn't bother me tbh. I haven't listened to a radio in years.

It’s all about statistics. Unfortunately bikes are way too dangerous! I am pretty sure by “I like living” is referred to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Bought mine for £420
I am sure I could have taken my family on a 6months vacation to Bali or something... or buy new clio R.S #ruskiweldshit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 172 Cup
Mines booked in Friday for a service and a few bits and bobs just to keep it right, now I am thinking what else can I get done 🙈 clearly I haven’t spent enough 😂