ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What does remapping actually mean for your engine map?

As in what are the software differences between say a TDF map and an RS Tuner map and a generic map? Purely curious, I have no interest in remapping my car. Plus I don't even have my Clio any more.

Generic maps - Just how terrible are these, do they literally just add 2 degrees of advance to every single value across the entire map and hope for the best? Are injection times simply all "shifted down" to lower load sites in order to run richer? Do these simply turn off lambda-correction loops in order to increase the AFR rather than aiming to be stoichiometric?

RS Tuner etc - By this "level" is your brand new map being much more agressive with more advanced features like EGR? Does it skip/tone-down AFR enrichment at startup? Do these "correct" car-specific features (e.g. the map from an Elise (don't know which engine/year) has a deliberate flat spot under 2.5k to encourage gear changes)

"Live" or "custom" maps - What do these add? Does it get to the point where ignition advance is right "on the edge" and the map is relying a lot more on knock-sensors to ensure safety?

Last edited:
RS Tuner is generic is it not?

Most people on here will have a generic map. Every production car in the world has a generic map.

I can't answer any technical questions, but I do believe that the term 'generic map' attracts a fair bit of unwarranted concern. The quality of the calibration is still all important. It doesn't necessarily mean its a cheapo eBay resistor style tune-up.

Evo 5 RS
No two engines are the same, I've driven completely stock cars with terrible flat spots that can be rectified with a live cal. You're talking about the Toyota engine btw, and it's bloody annoying. It's present on the Corolla Compressor also which is the same engine more or less as the Extige.Again; can be mapped out. Live cal is all advantage.. It just costs :). As above it's a science that i'd rather leave to someone qualified!

Last edited:
Modern ECUs do adapt pretty much in real time anyway though? Within reason of course. Nothing wrong with generic maps per se. As I say, every new car has one. There are good and bad ones, as I imagine there are good and bad live mappers.

Evo 5 RS
Yeah, per se! But the OP asked what live cals add, and in the right hands it's all benefit. I know for one that a lot of the generic maps found for the F4R over fuel quite heavily for example

Yes but he also seemed to be differentiating between generic and SRS Tuner.

Just setting the record straight that generic maps are not a problem if written by someone who knows what they're doing and knows the car they are writing it for. The category has a bad rep, when in fact most people, even those that slate them, actually have one.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Yes but he also seemed to be differentiating between generic and SRS Tuner.

Just setting the record straight that generic maps are not a problem if written by someone who knows what they're doing and knows the car they are writing it for. The category has a bad rep, when in fact most people, even those that slate them, actually have one.

Agreed

A lot of custom maps that people pay for are actually very generic and pretty much all done before going anywhere near a car, then checked and minor changes made. Some very expensive "custom" maps I've seen have been the most generic things you'd ever experience

There are good and bad and indifferent generic maps

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Generic just means that its done in terms of they have made changes to suit a general spec of engine, rather than tailoring it for your specific car.
The results will vary depending on how well that map was done in the first place, and how similar your car is to the one that it was developed on.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
so by that definition generic means someone else's work lol

doesn't have to. Just that parts of the cal, ie background settings, have been modified in advance. That can apply to things like fuel target tables, boost limit tables, correction factors etc