ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What power should i expect?

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
Now i know every engine is different and this has maybe been covered but lets say my engine is healthy (170) or we can go based on what guys have already on here to a similar spec.

Spec i have planned,

Matched inlets
Modified airbox (equivalent to the V6 setup)
Decat and supersprint/ktec stealth with heatwrapped manifold
Headwork (3 angle valve seats, widened throats, polished combustion chambers, ports matched to inlets and also ribbed)
Catcams with VVT removed (5502420)
Air con removed

RS tuner with performance map is already on the car but i may change this if the map wont suit the engine.

Is the magic 200 a realistic target here?

Im going to do a bit reading up on the cams as im still undecided on these. I may go for uprated springs. Wont gain anything from this but its for peace of mind more than anything.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
I see. That will restrict what i can achieve then? to be fair if i can gain 20% more power without the need for forced induction or TB's id be more than happy. But like you say, my inlet may not allow for that

Thanks

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
varied opinions! hmmm. will be interesting to see what it can make. whats best in terms of mapping the car to suit the mods? dont think the rs tuner map will do for all this.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
I dont think its too unrealistic, sure there was a guy in holland Franx perhaps? Who had C&b cams 182 manifold, matched inlets, phase1 airbox and it was very high 190's same power as a 197/200 clio think it was 171-172 at the wheels, so with some decent headwork possibly!

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
RS tuner generic map no way will it do! You'l need a custom map and to be fair with that amount of cash spent on mods, i'd definatly get a live map on a RR.
Fastchip do do custom maps, but unless you have a wide band oxygen sensor to put in the exhaust i'd definatly go with live RR map

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Actually looking at those cams their group N cams arent they 420's? No way will you make the 200 then there essentially standard cams!
I'd go Engine dynamics / C&B / Schrick if i were you for more power maybe catcams 421's or 428's

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
Yeah theyre group n cams. the limit for the standard ecu? but if im putting in a Gen90, it means i can go beefier cams. changing springs for sure now.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
yeah. The ones i was looking at are 420's which are the step up from 421's? but if im running a Gen90 and uprating the springs. i should be able to run 422's?

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
No 420's are not a step up at all, as i said essentially the same cam as you have in there now, If you've got a Gen 90 or any standalone you should be able to run some very wild cams.

428's are mild cams, standard exhaust cam as far as i'm aware and few degrees more on inlet. Fred seems to be able to make 190ish out of them though.
421's are wilder and according to the catcam website you need standalone, however i'm sure there are some peeps out there running it on the standard ecu.
I've got the engine dynamics cam 286 inlet 280 exhaust which is between the 422's and 423's that Cat cams offer. Its run on standard managment and is completely fine, i do have a phase 1 though wich is cable throttle so easier to control the idle. I'm pretty sure theres a couple of guys in mexico running the E.D. cams on standard ecu though.
I think with 422's you need to cut valve pockets in the pistons too and uprated valve springs and standalone!

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
I see. Just read up on specs of them on their website. Think i will go with 421's see what they are like on the standard ecu.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
just had a look at ED 286/280's. seem the best to go for imo. says that they also retain the vvt. can you get pulleys for these or am i aswell as keeping the vvt?

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
Your prob right. Will it not give me the same power aswell? so its same money for same power?

but then i can do all this at the moment, then get a JMS intake at a later date? :D rather than build my engine up back up, stick a JMS manifold on, take the car to bits again to fit cams, get headwork etc then put the manifold back on.

At this moment, these are the mods i would like to do to the car as they are convienent in the long run for me.

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
if you are wanting to do all of those bits regardless....yeah do them first then RS2!