ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What the ** f**k ** can drill this out

Valver

Argh!! the bolt which olds my centre caps on snapped while I was trying to undo it (last muppet stripped the head so had to use mole grips), so I thought, no problem Ill just drill it out and use a new bolt... pah!

So far used a normal drill bit, a drill bit for soft steel, drill bit for normal steel, and just now a drill bit coated in Titantium nitrate, and NONE have made much more than a dent!

Any ideas what I could use? Im thinking maybe tungsten tipped or something might do it...

Williams 2, STi N12

Try this...

Get a suitable sized socket which you dont care about. Place over the knackerd bolt and smack it as hard as you can. This will deform the head into the hex shape and allow undoing as normal.

Works for crappy rounded off wheel nuts..might work on your dilemma too

Hence the very reason i ahve imperial sockets :D

When drilling how fast were you using the drill, and were you lubing it atall?

Valver

hmm it was a very small bolt, about 5mm across? could try hammering an alan key into it or something?

No lube (ran out of ky last nite :( went from slow/speed 1 to super fast/speed 2 when i got really annoyed...

If you have some torx bits they are often good to hammer in, as the spikes stick inot the metal and grip it, other then that try driulling it slowley and lubricate it, or all youll do is blunt the rill bit, esp if you are going fast, soemthign like wd-40 or 3 in 1 oil etc

Quote: Originally posted by Anders on 14 September 2005

Try this...

Get a suitable sized socket which you dont care about. Place over the knackerd bolt and smack it as hard as you can. This will deform the head into the hex shape and allow undoing as normal.

Works for crappy rounded off wheel nuts..might work on your dilemma too

Always the best way, Ive done this in the past but remember to use an old socket rather than one from a new set! :)