ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to buy.. MK1 16V or 172

Valver

OK peeps, Im thinking of going for something with a bit more horses under the bonnet. Do I go for a valver or a 172? What are the running costs etc on both? Anyone had both?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

I have had both.

I would have the valver for pure roar driving.

I would have the 172 for power and comfort.

172 more to insure

16v can be expensive to run though if you get a bad one.

16v more "trick bits" available for the engines at the moment like cams etc.

Horses for courses mate, both are good in their own class.

yeah, completely depends on what you want, they are not really to be compared are they! one is an old car now, one is a relatively new car, they look completely different - totaly depends on what you want

Valver

I do prefer the MK1 shape over the newer models. Running costs is a big thing for me as my weekly mileage will be going up to about 250 miles just for work in a few months.

personally id get a mk1, without a doubt. The hard bit is is finding one that has a low/ish milage and in good condition.

The Clio Valver looks the part with the pumped up arches and bonnet bulge and it could be argued that its a more pure and more precise hot hatch than the 172. On the other hand, the 16V was better equipped and fatter than the GT Turbo was back in the day - so you could have said the same about the 16V being less pure than the GTT back in about 1992!

Without question, the Valver will cost more to run. Its perfect if you dont have a lot of cash up front and are handy with the spanners, but they arent ideal if you have to bust a gut to buy one and then cant afford the bills.

Despite what some people might think, they arent that far behind a 172 in performance terms and are cheaper to insure. It is the Willy that has since taken all the limelight from the Valver, but you get 90% of a Willy with a 16V.

Titanium 182

but they arent ideal if you have to bust a gut to buy one and then cant afford the bills.

this has happend to my cousin sxi boy on here!

and 95% ben ;)

Mechanically, maybe it is 95%. But in the way they drive, theyre not similar at all really. Im still getting used to the difference!

Titanium 182

i can imagine!

the mk1 is an ace car but if you have the cash for a 172 then why not?!

You can get mk1 172s for as low as £6k for a high mileage car. From £7500 for one with low mileage.

And if you can get a personal loan, then do that instead of finance. With finance you will not own the car as the loan is secured against it (and therefore no mods allowed etc.).

yes but you can get a top valver for 2.5k, youll have something you dont see very often, i have still only spotted one other in 9k of driving mine.

Also I think personally they are not expensive to run but maybe I have been lucky, I do most servicing myself and get the parts from FGS ect.

If your not competeant with very basic stuff like swapping leads sparks and air filter ect then get a 172 with a warranty, they are fast but they havent got much personality and arent as much fun to drive.

Titanium 182

true 1 thing tho scotty

gearbox goes your not lucky lol all them things can go with a valver and are less likely with the 172

but get a valver and see how it goes

wicked cars imo

Valver

Quote: Originally posted by scotty16v on 03 November 2003

If your not competeant with very basic stuff like swapping leads sparks and air filter ect then get a 172 with a warranty, they are fast but they havent got much personality and arent as much fun to drive.

Gotta be fun to drive, thats what its all about :D

Cheers for all your input guys.