ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what to do with my damaged blue 172 cup, advice please people, GUTTED

Clio 172 cup
we all no that 172cups hate snow and ice and thats the case with mine!
yesterday i was going no faster than 10mph and the ice took over and i slid into a wall.
Just body damage, nothing more, need a front bumper, bonet, drivers side light and grill and the drivers side window regulator stopped working so need that aswel.

I havnt had much luck finding the parts yet and dont no if to sell the car with a little damage to someone who can easily fix it with more knowledge than me or go through the insurance or try and find the parts and get it fixed or maybe break the car and sell the car for parts if it made enough money :S

cars in great shape, well looked after with low milage and all service book stamped, had cambelt changed, new disks and pads with a full lightweight custom made stainless exhaust from cat back, just mot'd and taxed and new tires and tracking so money hasnt been a problem with this car, the cars always been spoilt!!!

just what to do??? insurance went up £250 when the VTR got written off and the accident wasnt even my fault and then the 172cup with only little damage would be classed as cat D

what do you think people and if you can help in anyway thankyou :)

What a shame mate :dapprove: i would definately get it fixed, seems like you have got a very good cup in terms on condition and maintenance wise, i would definately get it fixed, especially when you have spent alot of money on it to, check out cliospares on the trader section, they might have a cup in for salvage, also there is a guy in the parts for sale section who is breaking his entire cup, worth a look mate

then the 172cup with only little damage would be classed as cat D

Why? Unless they write it off. In which case, it doesn't matter to you as you'll have a payout.

Do as fudgey said and fix it. Get the bits you need for on here, eBay, Clio breakers and then find a bodyshop to spray. This is the season for Cups to die, so you might be lucky and find stuff in the colour you need..

Clio 172 cup
i no im gutted love the car to bits, i want to fix it but dont really want to go through the insurance but want it fixed asap and its finding the parts.
iv wrote on the clio spares forum and the wanted forum.
i looked in the parts section but nobody as yet has the parts i need :( ill keep looking though,
if you guys see anything or can help in anyway dont hesitate to message me, got to keep the 172cups on the road
thanks

Clio 172 cup
Why? Unless they write it off. In which case, it doesn't matter to you as you'll have a payout.

Do as fudgey said and fix it. Get the bits you need for on here, eBay, Clio breakers and then find a bodyshop to spray. This is the season for Cups to die, so you might be lucky and find stuff in the colour you need..

Iv been told even if the car isnt written off and i claim on the insurance the damage would still go on the cars history and because the damage is so small and the cars a mint example and been looked after so well it would ruin the cars value......not 100percent if this is true just what i was told so thought id ignore the insurance and try and find the parts for the minute.
If it was to be written off i would be gutted but think id rather it be written off so i got a bigger payout ii i claimed on the insurance then id get another .
Iv not got much knowledge really, only ever claimed once and the acccident wasnt my fault and the car was written off then i got this beauty!!

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Iv been told even if the car isnt written off and i claim on the insurance the damage would still go on the cars history and because the damage is so small and the cars a mint example and been looked after so well it would ruin the cars value......not 100percent if this is true just what i was told so thought id ignore the insurance and try and find the parts for the minute.
If it was to be written off i would be gutted but think id rather it be written off so i got a bigger payout ii i claimed on the insurance then id get another .
Iv not got much knowledge really, only ever claimed once and the acccident wasnt my fault and the car was written off then i got this beauty!!

100% NOT TRUE. If the insurnace company fix the car and give it you back it is not on any register as having been in an accident!

Bullshit, my previous car was hit and cost just over 5.5k to repair and I sold it at normal market value. There was no record of it anywhere!

Clio 172 cup
thanks guys that info has cheered me up,
would they just check the damage then and give me a value what they think the damage is worth or send it to one of there garages to be all fixed?? in other words could i claim a bit more than the damage value and do my clio up more :p haha. worth a ask.
still brings me back to my point though, the insurance for me is high enough anyway with a claim on it now id have 2 claims in 3years so will put it up even more and this time the accident would go down as my fault, went up £250 when it wasnt my fault and the car was written off so got be more with me being blamed :(
or would it go down as not my fault due to the weather and could i claim for other things like injury???

Ph1 ITB'd 172
To be honest from what you said the damage is, they are likely to write it off. This is due to them pricing it using brand new parts. Just get it fixed yourself you will find it alot cheaper than you think. I'm guessing your excess will be a fair bit in itself.

Headlights are the same as the standard clio on the cups so they are next to nothing. Front bumper will be £200 MAX. Bonnet same as standard clio again so £40. Getting them painted probably £250. Probably won't cost you more than £600. If you take into account what your excess is it will be better doing it yourself.

A ANIMAL
To be honest from what you said the damage is, they are likely to write it off. This is due to them pricing it using brand new parts. Just get it fixed yourself you will find it alot cheaper than you think. I'm guessing your excess will be a fair bit in itself.

Headlights are the same as the standard clio on the cups so they are next to nothing. Front bumper will be £200 MAX. Bonnet same as standard clio again so £40. Getting them painted probably £250. Probably won't cost you more than £600. If you take into account what your excess is it will be better doing it yourself.

£600?? are you having a laugh. he'd do well to get it less than 1K imo. unless he knows somewone in the trade

Clio 172 cup
only positive thing that iv got going for me is that the 172cups only come in blue and silver. so if i can find a blue one damaged and get the parts i wont have to pay for paint because the respraying will be expensive, i dont no anyone really in the trade. I no a good mechanic but bodyshop and paint wise i dont. :(

a bit more on the damage update, i also need a drivers side window regulator because the electric window has stopped working and the central locking has now stopped working, the key must have had bang on impact because the button has come off the circuit board so i also need to get this done, the car is now pulling to the right now aswel so hopefully thats just the tracking so that needs doing aswel, its all adding up :(

330i. E30 Touring.
£600?? are you having a laugh. he'd do well to get it less than 1K imo. unless he knows somewone in the trade

If he pays someone to do it, agreed.

If it was me, find someone off here local who can fit it all if you're not able.

Bumper- £80-100
Bonnet- £80
Light- £50
Grille- £30-40

Thinking about it, if you want to sell it, i'll give you £700. (;

It's probably a write off, if you want to go down that avenue.

Book price I'd say is £3k? Something like that. Bumper, bonnet, light, grille, maybe a rad? The electrical things sorting. Add on paint/labour. That's the end of it TBH.

Agree with the above. Friend had a similar issue with a 2.5k Focus. Small bump, but the price for new parts, fitting and spraying came to the same amount. Rip off, but hey, new car.

172 cup
This thread is useless without pics . . . if you can fix it yourself then do it. If its that bad that your not sure if you can fix it yourself its prob a write off in which case id go down insurance route

If you want rid, I may be interested

Westy. MX5
If you go down the insurance claim route you may get them to repair it but it will still go down as a claim deemed your fault and your insurance record will not be very healthy. So, fix it yourself and be patient the parts will be found. The only RS specific item is the front bumper, it'll turn up somewhere.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
we all no that 172cups hate snow and ice and thats the case with mine!
yesterday i was going no faster than 10mph and the ice took over and i slid into a wall.
Just body damage, nothing more, need a front bumper, bonet, drivers side light and grill and the drivers side window regulator stopped working so need that aswel.

I havnt had much luck finding the parts yet and dont no if to sell the car with a little damage to someone who can easily fix it with more knowledge than me or go through the insurance or try and find the parts and get it fixed or maybe break the car and sell the car for parts if it made enough money :S

cars in great shape, well looked after with low milage and all service book stamped, had cambelt changed, new disks and pads with a full lightweight custom made stainless exhaust from cat back, just mot'd and taxed and new tires and tracking so money hasnt been a problem with this car, the cars always been spoilt!!!

just what to do??? insurance went up £250 when the VTR got written off and the accident wasnt even my fault and then the 172cup with only little damage would be classed as cat D

what do you think people and if you can help in anyway thankyou :)

Accidents happen mate, but its nothing to do with the car........... You drive to the conditions. If you ploughed into a wall its your fault. Harsh but true.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 cup
just gutted because its worth at least 4grand, i was offered £4500 for it form juntion28 performance cars garage in cash that was before i i had the full custom made lightweight stainless on it.
suppose i could sell it damaged because the engine is perfect, book all stamped, cambelt changed. its only minor body work but like everyone says with the insuarance they would write it off.
im going to upload pics of the damage if i can

Were you actually injured in the bump? As going through the insurance with a claim added to your history and trying to claim injury against yourself is pointless (imo) Plus - its folk claiming for injuries they dont have which is (partly) causing renewal prices to go up and up......

Clio 172 cup
DSC00272.jpgDSC00274.jpgDSC00273.jpgDSC00276.jpgDSC00275.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Bang a new bumper/wing/bonnet on that and it'll be reet. Just keep an eye on ebay, there's always cups being broken

Clio 172 cup
Bang a new bumper/wing/bonnet on that and it'll be reet. Just keep an eye on ebay, there's always cups being broken

wings fine, just need bumper and bonet, even bonet might bend straight but it has a little dint.
the light is cracked aswel

Gutted mate :dapprove: if it was mine i would 100% fix it no chance id sell or write off. Guarantee you'll regret it if you get rid like said just get the new bits and stick em on

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Not the end of the world though is it? Could have been a quarter panel for instance. Then bits bolt off/on. I'd personally bend the bonnet back, source a 2nd hand bumper and headlight. Done. Then once the winters gone, get any paint that needs doing sorted. To get you by, that'll cost a couple of hundred quid!

Clio 172 cup
Gutted mate :dapprove: if it was mine i would 100% fix it no chance id sell or write off. Guarantee you'll regret it if you get rid like said just get the new bits and stick em on

easier said than done finding all the parts though, had no reply from clio spares either.
been looking on the net all night and today with no luck yet and it looks a mess, it needs sorting asap. help people haha!!

Clio 172 cup
Not the end of the world though is it? Could have been a quarter panel for instance. Then bits bolt off/on. I'd personally bend the bonnet back, source a 2nd hand bumper and headlight. Done. Then once the winters gone, get any paint that needs doing sorted. To get you by, that'll cost a couple of hundred quid!

yeah thats the plan that keeps popping up in my head, its just finding a bumper :S

Mini Cooper S
£200 on pikey second hand parts, then £400 for a front end respray? Not the end of the world!

Clio 172 cup
This thread is useless without pics . . . if you can fix it yourself then do it. If its that bad that your not sure if you can fix it yourself its prob a write off in which case id go down insurance route

If you want rid, I may be interested

for what the cars worth in good shape i dont think you would pay what i want for it, been offered £4500 from junction28 performance garage with it in good shape. id want £2900ish with the damage and i no that seems steap but all it really needs is a bumper and some tlc and its worth 4grand again because of all the brand new parts it has already and full service history and low milage, 12months mot and 6months tax.

and the pics are now added!!!

Clio 172 cup
£200 on pikey second hand parts, then £400 for a front end respray? Not the end of the world!

because 172 cups only come in blue and silver, mainly blue i might aswel just find a bumper then i dont have to get it sprayed because thats were the high cost is