ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What tyres to buy?

wsc

1.2 16v Extreme 3, 2005
This is my first car, and my tyres need replacing, the front ones are cracking :eek:

I am going to try to pick some alloys up from here, 172 possibly.

I drive less than 2k a year, and 90% town driving.

So what brand should I go for? I am not looking to spend much, bare minimum but I have been told budget tyres are not so good?

Thanks

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
For a 1.2 I would prob be looking at a more budget tyre, a PE2 would be overkill. Don't go for Toyo's lethal in anything but bone dry, I would suggest from my limited experience, Goodyear Eagle F1's or Pirelli P Zero Nero.

You get what you pay for really, so if you want to spend little you get budgets. If you want something decent you pays your money.

Michelin are the future though.

wsc

1.2 16v Extreme 3, 2005
For a 1.2 I would prob be looking at a more budget tyre, a PE2 would be overkill. Don't go for Toyo's lethal in anything but bone dry, I would suggest from my limited experience, Goodyear Eagle F1's or Pirelli P Zero Nero.

Thanks, what size should I be after? :clown: If I get 16" 172 alloys.
I'm kinda confused.

Many thanks everyone.
EDIT: I just realised the tyres you guys are on about are very expensive! I'm looking for budget compared to those.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
It is possible to get GSD3's or P P Zero Nero's for about £40-£50 if you shop around, a PE2 is a about £90 per corner, bloody amazing tyre mind.

As for size... Not really too sure, prob be looking at 195,50 or 45 16's. The 195/50 should be a bit cheaper than the 45 also.

I would try and match the overall size of the wheel the best you can to the original to save on speedo error rather than the cheapest cost.

What wheel size and profile is on the car now.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Uniroyal Rainsports, 45 notes a corner from mytyres.co.uk for 195/45/16s. I swear by them, especially with the crap weather in this country.

wsc

1.2 16v Extreme 3, 2005
It is possible to get GSD3's or P P Zero Nero's for about £40-£50 if you shop around, a PE2 is a about £90 per corner, bloody amazing tyre mind.

As for size... Not really too sure, prob be looking at 195,50 or 45 16's. The 195/50 should be a bit cheaper than the 45 also.

I would try and match the overall size of the wheel the best you can to the original to save on speedo error rather than the cheapest cost.

What wheel size and profile is on the car now.

Thanks, I'm not sure so will check tomorrow morning, and try to decipher what it says on the wheels. :eek:

wsc

1.2 16v Extreme 3, 2005
Cool, when I found out what size I need I will get back to you.

Do I want Summer or Winter tyres btw? :p
I assume Winter.

Clio 197 08
On a 1.2 that does 2k a year and mostly town driving i wouldnt spend major money on tyres, in all honesty the amount of driving you do budget tyres would be fine! It isnt like you have a sport and will be doing silly speeds around corners, on a 1.2 the suspension will let you down more than cheap tyres!

wsc

1.2 16v Extreme 3, 2005
On a 1.2 that does 2k a year and mostly town driving i wouldnt spend major money on tyres, in all honesty the amount of driving you do budget tyres would be fine! It isnt like you have a sport and will be doing silly speeds around corners, on a 1.2 the suspension will let you down more than cheap tyres!

I am tempted sometimes :eek: but obviously mine is a lot slower than the Sport.

wsc

1.2 16v Extreme 3, 2005
Okay my current tyres are:
175/65R14 82T
Dunlop SP10

And they're doing fine for me.
They just have plastic hubcaps on them currently, I assume you can't fit alloys on the, right?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with ash whole heartedly. Don't waste alot of money.

Per my rough calculation based on 12inch's is 30cm (not quite but aprox) your current overall wheel size in inch's is (again aprox) currently 23.10. Going with 195/45/16 the overall wheel+tyre size is 23.02 inch's and 195/50 is 23.80. Unfortunatley I do not know what these differences equate to in the "real world" in terms of speedo difference. Obv the better size is 195/45...

Cheap tyres such as nankangs last forever because they are so fooking hard!
They dont handle for shiz though. Id recommend you a cooper zeon xtc, they wont be over 50 quid fitted and they have an accidental damage warranty so if they do crack or cant be repaired then you get a concession on the tread that is left.

wsc

1.2 16v Extreme 3, 2005
195 45 16
Are these okay to get?

My current one is 175/65R14 82T
How will this affect my speedo?

Agree, Town driving and less than 2k miles, all these people suggesting big brands are obviously on crack. Get a cheap set if its driven like a granny.

wsc

1.2 16v Extreme 3, 2005
195 45 16
Are the ones on some 16" 172 alloys I found.

And what budget tyres can people reccomend?

195 45 16
Are the ones on some 16" 172 alloys I found.

And what budget tyres can people reccomend?
Coopers! They are cheap-ish but have an accidental damage warranty so if you do damage them round town then you will get money back.