ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What wax do you recommend?

Clio 172
I'm looking for a good wax that is fairly easy to use. I'm wanting something that will give my car decent protection and a deep shine. I currently use poor boys natty paste wax but fancy trying something different. I don't want to pay through the nose for a pot of wax but ain't gonna buy cheep crap. What do you boys recommend?
thanks in advance

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I would certainly recommend Carbon if you want the boutique feel, I think waxes should feel nice to use.

How durable does it have to be? Ag HD wax offers solid durability and looks great, pretty easy to use and on Amazon for £25. Box, cloth and some applicators.

It doesn't feel that special but it's nice. Bilt Hamber Finis wax. Lovely to use, so oily and proper long lasting, withstood light g101 on my old Frp.

Clio 172
Doesn't need to be majorly durable. Just after something that will make the car shine well and ain't a b*****d to use. The poor boys is a decent enough wax for the cash but the shine ain't as good as some others I have used just thought I'd see what you boy thought of

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
The main part of your shine will come from polishing. What have you got for that?

Use a good polish either by hand or machine. Then a good sealant with a wax over the top.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Doesn't need to be majorly durable. Just after something that will make the car shine well and ain't a b*****d to use. The poor boys is a decent enough wax for the cash but the shine ain't as good as some others I have used just thought I'd see what you boy thought of

For the price of BH Finis I would go for that. Great shine and durability & ease of use

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Is your prep up to standards? I've seen the colour of a car transform just by decontaminating it. Wash, Tardis, Iron X then clay. It makes all the difference.

Clio 172
Ye it's all preped properly before I attempt a wax I use a good base polish something like auto finesse triple but the poor boys i just find is a good wax but quite hard to work with. I have used dodo juice purple have before but obv that is for dark colour cars and this is a berg 172 so need something different

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Me too - They have a discount code too I think? they seem to have the best variety of everything that I have found.

Yes they do and yes I think they have matey.

Ive never had any problems with them or there postage. :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
CYC have a better selection but i4detailing service is unbeatable.

Purple Haze can be used on any colour. It's a lovely wax.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I wouldn't waste your money on an iceberg. I had one and polished it well and it looked good but the improvement wasn't as much as on my blue cars.

I would stick to purple haze.

It will be all in your mind by buying a "better " wax looking for an improvement on a silver car.

Sorry to go off topic, see everyone talking about iron-x but never used it myself, it dilutes down doesn't it? And you spray over the whole car before washing?

cheers

Not a 320d
I wouldn't waste your money on an iceberg. I had one and polished it well and it looked good but the improvement wasn't as much as on my blue cars.

I would stick to purple haze.

It will be all in your mind by buying a "better " wax looking for an improvement on a silver car.

And what about water behavior or durability?

Silver is very rewarding.

Anyone mentioned Sonax BSD yet? Seriously Id take that over a wax any day.

And how long should you leave it on a before you start scrubbing? Thanks ! :)

I think you're mixing this up with Citrus Power, Josh.

IronX is for removing iron contaminants before polishing and sealing.

Citrus Power is used to break down dirt before jet washing, then washing as normal. It's wax safe, so won't affect your protection.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
And what about water behavior or durability?

Silver is very rewarding.

Anyone mentioned Sonax BSD yet? Seriously Id take that over a wax any day.

Purple haze is a good wax, if he spent 50-60£ on a wax it wouldn't make any difference except maybe longevity and that can be sorted with a good sealant.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Raceglaze '55'
Prob nearer to £60 for a pot but it really is a great wax and superb to apply and remove.

When topping up, I apply this literally by hand, direct to the palm, and it goes on so much better than with an applicator in my opinion
Leave on the panel 10-15 mins and buff off.

Thing is, it is very very durable and beads tightly.

I used this 4 yrs on a silver Type R.

The RB 182 got a layer only last weekend.
Well and truly recommended.

Not a 320d
Is that sonax bsd good? Just watched a YouTube video and it looks pretty decent.

BSD is great if youre strapped for time or like me you live in a flat or dont have a drive. Its not perfect but it looks as good as anything else and the water behavior is excellent.

Not a 320d
Cheers. I ordered some last night, all being well will give it a blast over the weekend.

Nice one. Dont apply in direct sunlight, and spray on a Microfibre cloth folded up, wipe it on gently then flip the towel and buff a little. Build the layers up.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
That the best way/easiest way to appy? Ive seen vids where people have sprayed directly onto the panel?

Not a 320d
Yeah its just I find if I do that it can splash onto the windows or other panels. And it looked like semen when its dried on and its difficult to remove a week later when you notice it after you sprayed it accidentally over your back window.

Plus I find that way I dont over apply it. Its quite a thick liquid for a supposed QD too.