ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what would you recomend?

proton compact 1.3 GLi
ive slowely been getting into photography using my step dads D50, but its time to get my own camera. but i want something thats going to last the next few years, im going to college next month to study digital photography, then going on to do a degree in photograpphy, im looking for something thats going to be suitable now so im not having to upgrade whilst in uni because i wont be able to afford it so much then. what would you reccomend ?

proton compact 1.3 GLi
ive been looking at the D90 as it happens, the buget is fairly open would rather keep it below £500 and get a good condition 2nd hand and invest in a few different lenses

and yes seriously, i know i could teach myself but it will give me a chance to follow a structure

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You'd be better off not spending (what does uni cost these days, 5-10k a year, fees, rent, food, beer?) 20-30k, and just stay at home (I've no idea how old you are?) and practise.

If you are 17 and considering a career, great, but after going through uni, all it does is open doors. You still need experience in the real world to compete.

If you want to be employable, you'd be better off spending 3 years working freelance, assuming you know how to take a 1/2 decent shot already ? Build up a portfolio and see where it takes you.

Someone I know did photography at uni, it was more about art than picture taking, as really, there aren't any rules as such... like learning to be a teacher or a doctor IYSWIM. She now works in a curtain shop, as the world of being a graduate photographers assistant wasn't all it seemed cracked up to be.

Evening classes by all means, everyone's got something to learn, even those that are 50+ years in the game... but I don't think doing a degree and wasting 3 years experience will achieve what you want.

However, cameras, work out your budget, then go try some for size in Jessops (other camera outlets are available).

Remember you'll want a half decent camera, lenses, flash(es?), tripods, bag, memory, a decent computer to store/PP photos, and then you'll want an upgrade !

I bought a £80 Fuji bridge, a year later sold that bought a 450d and have since upgraded to a 7D, and have 4 lenses and a flash and some other bits and bobs, all kicking around the £2-3k mark ! :S It's not a cheap hobby, and I'm not even talking full frame / decent glass prices there.

What is the plan long term ? Freelance ? Full time employee of EVO mag ? Weddings ? Curtain shop ? ;)

I should stop rambling now...

As much as it is a ramble, you're pretty much spot on.

The best people on here don't have any qualifications in the field. You'd be better off finding a local studio and offering to work for free. Even a freelancer. Write to photographers who have jobs that you want, Evo/FourFourTwo/Horse&Hound, even try your hand at being a paparazzi.

It won't get you paid, granted. But neither is going to Uni. You're going to need an evening/part-time job if you're not a total sponger, so this is no different.

Do 3 years of that^^ vs 3 years of lectures and them telling you the rule of thirds. Who is going to get a job at the end..

proton compact 1.3 GLi
the plan is to go to uni and freelance from my second year, building my portfolio and hopefully have my own buisness prety much running for when i finnish the uni course, im not going to a real uni its a uni course in the local college im hoping it will allow me alot of studio time that i wouldnt otherwise be able to have, and alot more equiptment to play around with rather than forking out for my own studio equiptment for now

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok, they should have a studio, but have you worked out much 3 years is going to cost you at "Uni" ?

I bet someone like Dan Freeman could teach you in a weekend what 3 years of Uni will !

2.2 bar shed.
Im sorry but doing a degree in photography sounds like a massive waste of time imo. Get a proper degree and work photography on the side; you'll get just as far and you'll have a decent degree to boot as well. Does anyone here actually have an art degree close to photography?

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
If you want to go to uni try do a subject that will help your photography but will do more for you in the long run.

I did Digital Multi-Media. So I had a course mixed up of design, video pre/post, still, business, flat design, 3d, web programming and advance programming.

I dont currently work in that field but plan to later. This is due to the field not being too stable over the passed couple of years. I work in retail middle management and my degree has opened doors for me there due to the business modules and live projects.
At the same time I learnt a lot about art and design which can show in my photos.

the plan is to go to uni and freelance from my second year, building my portfolio and hopefully have my own buisness prety much running for when i finnish the uni course, im not going to a real uni its a uni course in the local college im hoping it will allow me alot of studio time that i wouldnt otherwise be able to have, and alot more equiptment to play around with rather than forking out for my own studio equiptment for now

You say have your own business? But doing what? Theres so many photographers out there, absolute market saturation.

Camel gti
Getting a degree in photography is like getting a degree in something like motorsport ;).

In the real world, its about getting yourself known. Experience is priceless, but you could be the best photographer in the world with the very best equipment but if people don't know you and seen your photos you will get no work. I've seen a lot of photographers work that's average for weddings etc but they earn a very nice living out of it.

Build a portfolio in whatever field, then go and see potential clients in person.

Practice, network and good luck.

If you want to go to uni try do a subject that will help your photography but will do more for you in the long run.

I did Digital Multi-Media. So I had a course mixed up of design, video pre/post, still, business, flat design, 3d, web programming and advance programming.

I dont currently work in that field but plan to later. This is due to the field not being too stable over the passed couple of years. I work in retail middle management and my degree has opened doors for me there due to the business modules and live projects.
At the same time I learnt a lot about art and design which can show in my photos.

I'm pretty much identical to this.

However I'm also freelancing doing weddings etc now and making a bit on the side from it, it tops up my dire salary and allows me to play with my videography.

It can help, but it's nowhere near as good as working a job and learning for fun.