ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What's The Best Speed Detector

Silver 182 F/F
Want to buy a speed detector that will pick up mobile units and cops with speed guns.

Don't want to be spending a fortune about the £100 bracket,can anyone recomend a good unit and any pro's and con's or am i just waisting time and money.

Cheers

106 GTi
Not sure what you cnat get for that budget.

Most of the proven popular ones, Road Angel 2 or Origin B2 come in at more money.

vx220
You could buy a garmin i3 sat nav and put camera locations on it for around £120! tht gives you both sat nav and locations! But if you want radar detection as well, then you'll be looking at spending far more than that! Plus having to pay for updates on camera locations every so often.

I think the Road angel compact would be the best one mate, £200 but hasnt missed a camera yet! got 6 months free subscription, then is £49 a year

Audi S3 225
i got the talex lite m8, http://www.radar-detectors.co.uk/talex_lite.asp its wicked hasnt missed a camera yet and even warns you about possible areas that the police use to setup mobile cameras. As it doesnt have the radar detection but i thought radar detection was illegal anyway.

Anyway got it off ebay brand new for about 45 quid, bargin!

Has Is you man for all of this stuff, plus he is very competitive on price. (never bought from him yet though- never bought a detector either)

Just bought the full fat Talex, on offer in Dixons for £90.

Been out for a drive where i know there are cameras, it picked them all up, but no false alerts for the ones on the other side of the road.

It will have a better test tomorrow going to work.

Also gets recommended in the Auto Express test, and picks up 97% in another test on t'internet.

Another thing, you dont need an extra ariel for it because it doesn't need to pick up radar or laser to work. As long as you position it on the dash under the clear part so its 'looking' at the sky, it will work.

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport
I have the Talex Lite with the subscription pack and it's a great piece of kit, every bit as good as the more expensive units I've owned. Cost me £65 for the lot including the subscription. Somerfield are selling them minus the subscription for £29.99 or £39.99 depending on which store you visit.

sneeks said:
I have the Talex Lite with the subscription pack and it's a great piece of kit, every bit as good as the more expensive units I've owned. Cost me £65 for the lot including the subscription. Somerfield are selling them minus the subscription for £29.99 or £39.99 depending on which store you visit.

I rang around every Somerfield within a 10 mile radius yeaterday and they've all gone, and they wont be stocking any more, so they tell me. Apparently they wont be doing any electricals any more. Something to do with a Kwik Save buy out or something.

Believe me i tried this option before going for the full fat model, still at £90 with 6 months subs it aint a bad deal.

Citroen DS3 DSport
No that's a very good deal so you've not done badly at all :)

The Talex is every bit as good as the Origin B2, which is far more expensive, and far better than the RA2, RoadPilot and Snoopers I've previously owned.

sneeks said:
No that's a very good deal so you've not done badly at all :)

The Talex is every bit as good as the Origin B2, which is far more expensive, and far better than the RA2, RoadPilot and Snoopers I've previously owned.

Well i've never owned any other type so cant compare.

Still it seems ok to me, it was after reading your post that i rang round to get one. Would have gone for the Lite if i could have found one, but i couldn't.

RRP is £150, Dixons are doing it for £99.99, but ours is closing down so an extra 10% off.

Bel990 or Bel550 are good radar detectors and you might be able to get them quite cheap now as they are 'old' (i.e. not brand new or GPS-based)

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=bel+550

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beltronics-980-International-Radar-and-Laser-Detector_W0QQitemZ9706526736QQcategoryZ14935QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://search.ebay.co.uk/bel-980_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQsacatZQ2d1QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQssPageNameZRC0021

That 2nd one is cheap as chips and still very good. Networx Automotive are who I bought mine from and they're good to deal with as well in my experience.

http://www.belradar.co.uk/index.html has details on the Bel stuff.

FYI, the 980 became the 330 and the 990 became the 550, but the 980/330 cannot pick up mini-gatsos that use the Ku radar band. I've only actually ever seen one of those though, but they are sneaky f*****s...

Last edited: