ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel stud snapped flush with disc.

2003 Clio 172 Cup
A wheel stud has snapped on the front of my 172 Cup, its snapped flush with disc so cant get molegrips on it.......

Is the only option to remove the disc? (I dont know how to do this!)

Or should I just go to Kwik fit and see if they would be able to do it for me?

Thanks

172 cup- suzu rf600r
Stud extractor? Goes on the end of a drill in reverse, not the strongest though, could try welding a nut to it. Failing that a garage I guess, but a real one, not kwik f**k lol

e92 330i
Disc is fairly simple to do mate. 6 bolts and your done. Theres a guide on a ren forum if your search google

How did you manage to snap it?

How much are the garages planning on charging you?

The easiest way is to drill the bolt and get a stud extractor but if the gargae is cheaper than buying the tools, let them do it. It can turn into a s**tty job if the extractor won't get it out.

SQ5
Lol the easier way isn't to get a stud extractor,!

Take the disc off!

Get someone to put foot on brake

Undo the two torx on the disc

Undo the two caliper bolts, 18mm

Slide the caliper off the disc

You'll now have an extra 5-10mm to out mole grips on and get it out

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Cool guys, cheers. I will try Danny's method and report back. Been out this morning and bought some better wheel bolts so I dont have this problem again!

CLIO PH1 172
i would try

1. centre punch and big hammer, try tapping it round

failing that

2. remove disk grip it try turning it up ....

failing that

3. new hub

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol at people saying buy a stud extractor!

get the disc off its 2 bolts for the caliper and 1 or 2 for the disc!

what id be asking though is why did it snap, were you cross threading it? ir were you trying to remove it, if so, mole grips are possibly going to struggle!

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Right chaps, for a number of reasons its taken me until now to get round to this!

Got caliper and disc off, removed sheered bolt with mole grips no problem at all! Thank you all very much for the advice.

Last question is when I have reassembled, put disc, pads and caliper on the disc feels 'loose'. I have tightened up the 2 x 18m caliper bolts and the 2 x 13m bolts.

I know Danny said above there should be 2 x torx on the disc but on my car there arent any........ I can see where they should be (inbetween the holes for the wheel bolts) but when I took it all apart there weren't any there! Do I need these and if so where do I get them, renault dealer easiest?

172 cup- suzu rf600r
You don't 'need' them mate no, they just make life easier when putting the wheels on, once on though the wheel bolts hold everything in place.

I would guess the dealers would have them mate but not positive on that

The wheel nuts hold the disc on anyways when the wheel is on.
Not sure whether you need the torx bolts, sure someone will be along to confirm yay/nay.

Edit: ^there ya go!

Megane r26
Nah you'll be fine without the little torx bolts mate, there really just for locating. As said the wheel bolts will clamp it on fine :)