ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When buying your 172/182 ...

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
did you sit in it / drive it before you actually bought it or put the deposit down on it ??

after reading another thread ive realised/remembered i never actually drove one before i bought it :S

well im not bothered as it was the best choice i made. :D

Burgandy 174 sport t
I never seen for two weeks after I bought it, and the first one I never drove as the battery was flat coz it was sitting in the showroom.

Clio 172 mk2
I brought mine privately so the owner took me out in it...felt very fast in the passenger seat.

I put the deposit down after checking it out thoroughly afterwards:D

Clio 182
I drove a demo model as soon as I found one and got a mate to give it a go too as he drove it a lot harder than me!

106 GTi
When I wanted to order mine they didnt have any demo 182's - so they borrowed the sales manager from another branches company car for me to drive, Had a good hours test drive followed by nearly 2 haggling - I was ordering mine!

The guy let me test it on my choice of roads so I had a proper feel for it.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
I'd test drove 3 before buying mine. I had an extended test drive, then a year later i booked another couple, only went around the block! was a piss take.

Bought the actual car without driving it, but seeing as it was brand new i didn't have a problem. ;)

The Tube
I bought mine off my friend without test driving, he'd just received a ban due to being clocked at over 100mph on a dual carriageway in it, needless to say I got it at a bargain price!

Lee

BMW M2C
When I bought the 172 I test drove one at my local performance car dealer as they had a 12 month old one in stock, then I went and ordered a new one.

The 182 I ordered without a test drive, they had a demo but I couldn't be bothered to try it out. The Trophy was also ordered without a test drive for obvious reasons, though I did get to take 006 out for a spin the week before mine arrived.

Beetle
lol i'd never buy a car without driving one first, what if you found out you didn't like how it drove afterwards?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
knew what i was getting as i had been out in a few used 172's, 172cup, meg225 and 182.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
yeah true, i just went along with all the reviews i had seen and thought it would be perfect .... turned out i was right.

i would def test drive any other car though unless the reviews said the same and i believed it would suit my driving style.

Lee

BMW M2C
Scott-16v! said:
lol i'd never buy a car without driving one first, what if you found out you didn't like how it drove afterwards?

Nor me under normal circumstances, but in this case it wasn't going to be any worse than my previous model in terms of handling. Plus someone who's opinion I trust 100% had told me what to expect.

ragged about a silver 172...

then seen the 182 in the showroom and said.."that one please" with the exhaust and wheels...

suprised i even got a test drive at the age of 18...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'd been following Evo magazines long term 172 Cup reports and thought "I've got to have one".

So I found an internet broker and ordered, without ever having seen one in the flesh, or even sat in it.

Most irrational thing I've EVER done in my entire life LOL

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
i never drove one before it, i was sposed to be having a test drive of a red 172 on saturday and the idiots didnt bother telling me the finance manager had taken it for the weekend for a wedding.

Felt liek going for it and had read alot of reviews/ comments on here about 3 years ago before finally taking the plunge. I did have a look through one at motorpoint but didnt want an import. Id decided 7months before buying one that id go for it.

Loved the looks and wanted a change from 1.0 corsa :rasp:

will never forget the cruise up from stockport to glasgow to bring it home, 6 days before xmas - what a present :approve:

Beetle
Lee said:
Nor me under normal circumstances, but in this case it wasn't going to be any worse than my previous model in terms of handling. Plus someone who's opinion I trust 100% had told me what to expect.
yeah i can understand with you having the other two before mate, just not those who hadn't had a sport before

Trophy #473
had never driven one.... or to be honest seen one properly in the flesh before i bought it. but knew what spec it was. the 30 mile journey home i had the biggest smile on my face... proper cheshire cat like.

Black 172 MK2
i bought mine privatly and was taken out rather fast lol then i drove it around a big car park did the whole full lock side to side and in reverse. Bought of ANT(someone) on here. THANX :D

Ross M said:
lol ^

kiev what age are you? i thought u were older !

Im 20...had my 182 since april 04...

nearly due its MOT eh..?

got my 182 as soon as it came out...ditched my trusty authentique...

clio 182 black /gold
No i sat in a 172 at motorpoint ages ago, and i think i saw a silver 182 at motorpoint. Then i bought one with out trying it.

Clio 182
I got to try a cup, the dealer drove the first part of the trip and gave it a blast which was impressive, he then let Me have a go. I drove it like I stole it, which was made easy as i knew the road. I was going to buy it anyway but the look on his face was priceless.:rasp:

Mazda RX-8
Bought mine without even seeing one in the metal! Evo seemed to love it, when they said the 172 Cup was going out of production I just though "B*llocks to it" went to a dealer to test drive one, but they had none in. I left with the £500 deposit on my MasterCard! Was of the opinion that professional motoring journos would be more acurate than a 20min test drive anyway. Bit irrational though - always said I would never own a front wheel drive car. Wouldn't even consider buying 2nd hand without driving, even from a dealer. (Which is why I will be testing a trophy and a 255 next week!!!:D:D:D)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
made sure i drove mine myself before deciding on buyin it from local garage, but was still bit half cut from night b4. bit suspicious of french cars after my pugs but in all fairness renault are without doubt a million times better built than other french cars.
was just lookin out for knocks and any obvious things really. has been trouble free too! (apart from 72k service :( )

Nicksie

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 CUP
yeah I drove the cup before i bought it. Knew the dealer so he let me take it on my own, they had to rush a PDI check on it for me to drive it, went back, told them I wanted it picked up the following week!

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Test drove the demo car before putting my order on a 182. Never tested the actual car I bought before I drove it off the forecourt. On second hand cars you should always test drive your purchase before making your decision / handing over cash