ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When is a Cup a Cup...or not a Cup??

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Standard 172 cup vs 182 cup, 182 is a faster better car. Fact. Around track and on the road. The tyres and suspension make the difference I don't care if the 172 cup is a bag of sugar lighter.

My steering wheel is foooked too, only 34k aswell.

WANTED Arctic 182
My 182FF has 'Sport' badges on the B pillars. Guessing someone has stuck these on as haven't seen anyone else mention having them.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
This is why (yet again), there needs to be a guide on the main page, with pics.

How hard can it be, really?

CS, the only OC with no guide for the cars it caters for......

Last edited:
182Cup is a 182FF minus;

Half leather chairs with rear headrests.
Side airbags.
Alcantara trimmed door cards. Plastics are soft touch.
Satin silver dash trims.
Renaultsport steering wheel with thumb grips.
'metalic' effect centre dash plastics.
Climate control.
Xenon headlamps.
Auto headlamps.
Auto wipers.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok, i've done a guide which should answer the question about cup/non cup/cup packs etc.....

The reason no one has done one before is because tbqf, its f**king boring!!!

Has to be moderated first, but we'll see if it makes it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If you call a 172 a 172FF in that guide i'm going to find out where you live.

And remember a normal 182 is not a "FF"

Last edited:
Well this is confusing!

I'm looking to purchase a Clio 182 next year with cup packs, suspension, anth wheels, spoiler, spliter.

If somebody could clarify from a bit of a newb perspective once and for all what the differences are. (Interested in reading this guide, thanks for doing it Robbos)

I understand that the Cup versions are lighter with less luxuries, intended for track use, with the suspension and anth packs.

Does this leave the standard 1*2 basic?
By this I mean effectively poverty spec, aircon over climate control etc with standard suspension and no luxuries?
And also the 182 Full Fat which has all the luxuries , CC, Xenons etc and the Cup packs?
Or do all 182's have the luxuries but only the FF have the cup pack/s?

Basically if a car is advertised as a Full Fat does that mean it has both cup packs? Or can it just have the luxuries?

Also could cup packs be brought singulary i.e. anth pack and suspension pack. So you might find versions with anth packs but no cup suspension?

Coming from the ****heap I currently drive I would prefer the luxuries and Aesthetics of the 182 along with the better cup suspension and improve aesthetics of the Anth cup pack.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
FF is a made up ClioSport term. There are 3 options.

1) Clio 182 - No Cup Packs - But will have leather/xenons. Silver wheels
2) Clio 182 - With Cup Packs - Has leather/xenons. Anthracite wheels
3) Clio 182 Cup - With Cup Packs - No leather/xenons. Anthracite wheels. Only in Inferno/Racing Blue

53 Clio's & counting

In 2004 though (most 53 plate 182 is likely to be a demo car for a dealership) the 182 was produced. Changes weren't that large though.
New front suspension drive shafts hubs dampers springs were made
Rear suspension was changed
Leather seats spec was changed
The rear spare wheel well panel was deleted and replaced with a flat panel.
The new 182 exhausts with its V6 style rear pipes. The exhaust take up the space where the old wheel space was.
The intake manifold was chnaged it reputed to be better for moddification power but changes to it arn't huge.
The exhaust manifold is a 4-2-1 type designed. It can be made to fit a 172 but you need to make an exhaust cat to fit it.
The cat was also changed from a 400 cell to a 200 cell one. The exhaust is as mentioned earlier the V6 style one. Also the engine mapping was changed. The air filter was changed but thats more IMO down to cost than power demands.

Also changed was the gearbox for a longer ratio one (longer than the phase 1 original) also common failing week parts of the box ie the circlips were changed for stronger parts.

Options on the 182 included Cup suspension and splitter packs. The suspension pack lowered the car a few mm made the dampers, springs and shocks a bit harder also the wheels come in a darker colour. Included in the Cup suspension pack was different hubs which have 60mm hub bolt spacing they are also up rated as they run about 1 degree more camber vs none Cup packed cars. The spoiler pack put a bigger rear spoiler and a splitter on the lower front of the car. The front Splitter can sometimes be found missing as they have on occasion not been fitted from now or can damage due to there design. Most cars came fitted with the suspension and spoiler packs though.
Other options were

Paint colour choices were Blue (two shades of Blue were availiable, artic and racing ) , Black gold and Titanium

If you ordered you car in racing blue you could also have the competition strips added to the car.

Telephone preparation

6 CD Multi-changer (fitted under the passenger seat or if you had sat nav its fitted in the boot).

Sat nav (although this was removed from the options list due to lack of demand. If you did pick the sat nav then you couldn't have the Cup spoiler pack as the aerial caught against the rear spoiler. Some people did have it fitted though as whilst it catches and bends the aerial its not impossible.

ID paint this was an expensive option. You could have it in liquid yellow or petrol blue (there very few of the petrol blue ones though)

Recaro seat pack - Ambla/dinamica black front + Graphic charcoal rear seat (no leather on rear seats if you picked the Reacaro seats (this Recaro seats was only an option on later cars)

182 Cup

A few month a new version called the 182 Cup was made this was basically a 182 with both Cup packs but with the cheaper specification interior no Zeonons or Climate control (aircon instead).

Options on the Cup were
Blue paint
Inferno colour paint.

If blue paint was specified then you could have the competition strips added to the car.

Recaro seat pack - Ambla/dinamica black front + Graphic charcoal rear seat (no leather on rear seats if you picked the Reacaro seats (this Recaro seats was only an option on later cars)

Pretty sure you could get a Cup suspension pack, and a Cup spoiler pack. In fact I worked with a guy who only had the spoiler pack.

Ahhh I see. I asked this as I didn't want to be sold a 182 that had the spoiler pack but not the suspension, but be told it did have both. I'll be sure to measure the hub bolt spacing or something? to check it does have cup suspension.

Alternatively can you check the chassis number or VIN plate or something with a Renault dealer to be extra sure?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've never been confused by this at all lol

182- has silver wheels, no cup spoiler
182 with cup packs (known as the FF) is the same as the 182, but has amphasite wheels and lowered stifened suspension.

182 cup, has both cup packs (Amphasite wheels and lowered stiffened suspension) but basic spec interior

Lol does it have dark wheels?

Well I don't know as I'm not buying it for about another 8 months! not that I've set my heart on a specific example as I imagine it will have been sold come May/June!

But to somebody not in the know about Clio RS, who doesn't know the difference and isn't clued up theres nothing to stop somebody recoating the silver wheels on a regular 182 the same colour as those on the Cup or FF. Then passing it off as 'having the anth & suspension packs' to a noob.

Not eveything is always what it seems!:rasp:

RB 197
3) Clio 182 Cup - With Cup Packs - No leather/xenons. Anthracite wheels. Only in Inferno/Racing Blue

Full of win. With B pill badges ;)