ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where did the power steering go

Alfa Mito 155TB

Hrumph

Tonight driving my MKII 172...there was a bang under the bonnet, the smell of what i guess to be steering fluid and zero power steering.

Got the car home, now have the arms of Geoff Capes and a phone call to make with Renault tomorrow morning.

Has this happened to anyone else on here?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I seem to remember someone who wheelspinned the car and got a loud bang + loss of power steering..

Maybe try a search but it was a long time back.. it might have been "archived" since then.

I had a loss of power steering this morning getting my car out of a tight space on my driveway I had tucked it into the nite b4 to allow another car to squeeze on my driveway. after about 10 lock to locks the steering wheel went heavy as f**k andreally had to yank it round. once off the driveway and up to 10mph the normal heavy-ish but better steering came back...any ideas why? has the power steering got some kind of cut off protection valve?

The 172 uses a hydrolic power assisted system and may have suffered from an over heat. There are loads of reason why though.

The other new Clios use a electric power assisted system which gives (according to Renault) 1.7 mpg better ecomomy.

My mate had a similar problem on his Corsa (it uses an electric system as well) and the electric assist stopped working when he was trying to get out of a tight space moving the wheel loads when the car was stopped. The system shuts of when its under to much load or is to hot to protect itself. After while it will have cooled and will operate normally again.

However best get it checked out my mate didnt drive his car and got Vauxhall to tow it away although there was nothing wrong with it. But you may have damaged something operating the system without any power assist and so placing more loads on the stearing rack.

It may feel like there nothing wrong but trust me the only time you will find out if something is broken is when if fails prematurly driving along which could be very dangerous.

Steering and brakes are the most important parts of a car to work IMO (steering to a greater extent IMO)

EDD