ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where there's smoke...

BG FF 182
So this morning i woke up at 5:00am to go to work picked up my mate & off we went, when we got there i decided to reverse my car into the workshop & use the airline to get all the crap out from between my seats (there a pain & the hoover never fits)
As i started reversing, some penis i work with just stood there so i went to beep the horn & to my suprise no beep came out, i pressed it again & the car alarm went off, lights started flashing & a pile of smoke just came out from inside my steering wheel, followed by a nice orange glow.
Straight off i grabbed the fire extinguisher & doused the flame then dissconected the battery, now as you can see i have a lovely melted piece of plastic & burnt rotary arm! Renault reckon it's going to cost me £280 including VAT & labour...
NOT what you need at that time on a bloody Saturday!

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

Blimey mate, after seeing 3 fire related threads recently im going to get a fire extinguisher for the car I think.

Hope it doesn't cost too much to fix.

BG FF 182
Blimey mate, after seeing 3 fire related threads recently im going to get a fire extinguisher for the car I think.

Hope it doesn't cost too much to fix.

well all together with some new headlight jets i've ordered it's come to £314, not too bad! It could always be worse...
I'm just lucky i was at work when i decided to push the horn because i had people to help me & there was a fire extinguisher close by...

I remember when people took the piss out of a lad for having a fire extinguisher in his car. :rolleyes:

Unlucky mate but as you say lucky it happened when/where it did.

Didnt this happen to someone else a few weeks ago?

I should probably have a fire extinguisher in mine tbh, especially with the amount of wires that have been fiddled with.

BG FF 182
I honestly do recommend a fire extinguisher being in your car at all times! They should come standard... If I didn't have one this morning I couldn't imagine what my car would look like at this very moment!

BG FF 182
This has happened before to a few people

Do you guys know anyone this has actually happened to, so I can ask them what the actual problem was because I'm worried if Renault fit this rotary arm & it costs me £300 odd quid! What happens if it doesn't even solve the problem! Renault are b******s because they won't tell me the problem without looking at it which would cost me £84!

Do you guys know anyone this has actually happened to, so I can ask them what the actual problem was because I'm worried if Renault fit this rotary arm & it costs me £300 odd quid! What happens if it doesn't even solve the problem! Renault are b*****ds because they won't tell me the problem without looking at it which would cost me £84!

How are they meant to know if they don't look?

Mk2 Ph2 172
it is the horn wiring or contacts that melt.... When I removed the after market steering wheel the pervious owner fitted to mine...
The two contacts for the horn in the squib were burnt and touching hence when I took my wheel off the horn just stayed on... And the wiper arm where the live and earth go to the wires were melted

I changed the squib and it has sorted the problem...

But if your steering wheel angle sensor is damage that is not just a plug and play it it will need programming to the car

BG FF 182
How are they meant to know if they don't look?

Yeah I understand that but they said to me on the phone this has happened before & they said its the rotary arm which needs to be replaced, but what's stopping this from happening again! I just wanted to know how someone else dealt with this problem?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
right! I've seen this come up about 3 times in the last 6 months! Anyone know of any checks/preventative action to ease my paranoid tiny mind?!

RF4

N17 CAJ
This has just happened to me as well! The exact same situation! My dashboard module is apparently the cause!