ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which discs for rear of 182?

Clio 182
I need to change the rear bearings on my 182 so looking at changing the discs/pads at the same time. I'm keen to get discs with the bearings and ABS rings already on. I tried searching and it seems that the rear discs are the same across the 172/182 but some of the listings I've found for discs seems to suggest otherwise so I'm after comments on which discs to go for... Does anyone have experience about which would be the better disc and bearing?

I use the car on track but not sure it's worth going for grooved and drilled discs on the back. I have the Brembo HC discs and Mintex M1155 pads up front and want something more resistant to fade next time but think this is probably related more to the front?

Mintex discs/pads listed for 172/182 for £60
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161256428772&globalID=EBAY-GB

Brembo discs/pads listed for 172/182 for £100
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=150655800263&globalID=EBAY-GB

Brembo grooved and drilled discs/pads listed for 172/182 for £100
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=152267959111&globalID=EBAY-GB

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Ta mate @Budgie

I can get you sorted with your brakes @Dr Fox , you have to watch some of those fleabay listings, they're very slyly worded. Brembo only make plain rear discs for these cars , some people get cheap rear discs and drill them in house and sell them on there with Brembo pads and put Brembo all other the listing to imply you're getting Brembo discs when in fact it usually doesn't state the make/part number and says oe spec

The Mintex bearings don't seem to last so I wouldn't use those , especially if tracking it. I can supply a lot of manufacturers including Mintex , Pagid etc etc

You want to be using the oe Renault discs or the rear (plain) Brembo disc if not running abs , I can supply both those and various pads . Check the little spacers are fitted behind existing discs while at it

Get in touch and I'll get you sorted

dan's cast offs.
i've fitted loads of the mintex discs and not had problems. the set on the wife's car have done best part of 70,000 miles.

Ta mate @Budgie

I can get you sorted with your brakes @Dr Fox , you have to watch some of those fleabay listings, they're very slyly worded. Brembo only make plain rear discs for these cars , some people get cheap rear discs and drill them in house and sell them on there with Brembo pads and put Brembo all other the listing to imply you're getting Brembo discs when in fact it usually doesn't state the make/part number and says oe spec

The Mintex bearings don't seem to last so I wouldn't use those , especially if tracking it. I can supply a lot of manufacturers including Mintex , Pagid etc etc

You want to be using the oe Renault discs or the rear (plain) Brembo disc if not running abs , I can supply both those and various pads . Check the little spacers are fitted behind existing discs while at it

Get in touch and I'll get you sorted
Any idea who makes the bearings in the Brembo or mintex discs?

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
As Danny has said, you're just wasting money putting expensive pads and discs on the rear. On track you're lucky they do anything never mind the bloody road, may as well be drums.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
@bloke when used on track with sticky tyres and running over kerbs it puts extra strain on them , and only the Brembo/Renault bearings seem to last mate
@flebay Brembo and Renault use SNR , the early Mintex were unbranded and more recently sun iirc

^^ it's more to do with the life of the bearings than actually braking force/performance lads

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
@bloke when used on track with sticky tyres and running over kerbs it puts extra strain on them , and only the Brembo/Renault bearings seem to last mate
@flebay Brembo and Renault use SNR , the early Mintex were unbranded and more recently sun iirc

^^ it's more to do with the life of the bearings than actually braking force/performance lads

But if you buy for example Brembo HC discs with bearings you're likely to kill the car before they die, if it doesn't kill itself

But if you buy for example Brembo HC discs with bearings you're likely to kill the car before they die, if it doesn't kill itself
I got 32122 miles on the genuine Renault rear discs before the bearings started to get noisy.
182 cup standard suspension original pe2 tyres road use, not a lot of miles compared to other cars of the same age, I consider the bearings under spec being the same size as the 1.2 clio.

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I went through both Mintex bearings in 18months with 4 track days. Although Mintex have gone back on the car now, they'll probably be replaced by Renault ones next time. Since fitting them I've heard what George has just explained a few times now.

Recently bought from George myself and would recommend going to him for these.

I've simply replaced and put Renault OEM discs on based on popular opinion being the rears do very little. I've paired it with some OEM pads for that reason as well. For the fronts I went with Brembo HC with Mintex M1144 pads.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
£ 109.48 with discount code service25, why would you buy these when you can get genuine Renault for £94 delivered.

Is the price on ECP for a single disc then? Rightly or wrongly it just assumed they come in pairs so the price was for two? It does say fitted quantity 2 in the description but I know what ECP are like.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
If it's for 2 then that would be good as it'd be just over £50 with the code. If it's for one then that's ridiculous.

Might have to go down as see what I get, never know with ECP ... most of the time you're actually lucky if you get what you order!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Just seen this on the FAQ's

Does the brake discs and pads come single or pairs?
All our standard discs are sold individually (Some high performance discs are sold as a set of two). Our brake pads are sold as a front set or rear set, so purchasing one box will be enough for two discs.

wtf..?

The only time you would get 1 would be for a motor bike?wouldn't it be dangerous fitting just 1 new disk?

Is the price on ECP for a single disc then? Rightly or wrongly it just assumed they come in pairs so the price was for two? It does say fitted quantity 2 in the description but I know what ECP are like.
This is what happens if you add 1
Please Note :
You have selected Quantity 1 x Brake Disc . Brake discs are recommended to always be changed in pairs. Therefore it is recommended that you select Quantity x 2 . If your vehicle has specific Brake Discs for each side (e.g. some BMW M3 vehicles), please check the specification and select the correct Brake Disc(s) and Quantity.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
This is what happens if you add 1
Please Note :
You have selected Quantity 1 x Brake Disc . Brake discs are recommended to always be changed in pairs. Therefore it is recommended that you select Quantity x 2 . If your vehicle has specific Brake Discs for each side (e.g. some BMW M3 vehicles), please check the specification and select the correct Brake Disc(s) and Quantity.

Well that's annoying.

Genuine it is then.