ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Engine

Clio 172
Right i have finally decided on getting myself a clio after looking at a number of different cars. I would love a 172 however im only 19 and insurance is an issue.

Basically i would like to know what engine size you would recommend the 1.2 or 1.4 what is the most reliable and which has the most tuning potential etc also where do you stand with conversions as i have owned fiesta's and corsa's and there is a lot of freedom as far as conversions go.

Cheers Will

Iceberg 172
Tuneable? I wouldn't really bother... not in a rude way. But if you want cheap insurance then stick with a std one rather than waste money on modding a 1.4 for very little gain and then the insurance company charging you a fortune for the mods.

Conversions... imho it's not worth it. You can buy a ph1 172 for £1500... Corsa's have lots of conversions as they never made a 2.0 corsa... they do make a 2.0 clio though so what is the point.

Just my opinion though.

Clio 172
thanks for the reply mate, i understand what your saying and take it all on board, as i said im new to clios so just trying to find out a few things.

what would you say was the better engine then i know the 1.4 has a bit more poke but i noticed theres quite a few 1.2's on the forum and i haven't seen many 1.4's is there something i am missing out on ?

Iceberg 172
No idea, I'm presuming the extra oomph isn't worth the extra insurance costs???????

My only advice is this... Don't waste your money. I wasted so much on Insurance cos I wanted a "hot hatch" when I was 18 that had I of waited, saved my money I would now be debt free with an M3 on the driveway!

Clio 172
well insurance aint bad at all on the 1.4 or the 1.2 not really a great deal different im 19 two years no claims currently own a 1.4 corolla vvti (100bhp) fully comp insurance for £650.84

Iceberg 172
How much to insure a 172? Surely a 1.2 / 1.4 Clio would be a downgrade?

I had a 20VT Ibiza Cupra at 18... and that wasn't "that" bad on insurance.

Clio 172
yeah it would be a down grade but i want something i can have a play with, do a few mods to etc, im also really bored of the corolla its too much like an old mans car.

Just done a quick quote on gocompare for the 172 cheapest was £2,508.46 fully comp. The 1.4 is just £790 and the 1.2 is £672

LY R26
the 1.4 is quite a good engine in the clio however the coil packs are known for going, have you maybe looked for a 1.6 clio?

Renault Clio
Have you tryed a 1.6 Clio?
They do a Mk2 Ph2 1.6, Also a Mk2 Ph1 1.6 16v RSi (I have got)

Just to open you options. :)

clio 182
The dci 100 is suppost to be nippy after a remap and I imagine cheap to insure and very cheap to tax £35? Haven't owned one but might be worth looking into.

Clio 172
Just done a quote using the same details as the 1.4 and 1.2 on the 1.6 and it just tips a grand. So gonna stick with the 1.4 i think, if was going to be paying over a grand i think i'd get a seat leon.

Hyundai i40
As above ive heard good stuff about the dci

What Phase are you planning on getting?

also im sure there a 1.6 16v engine available

the 1.4 16v engines were 98bhp iirc so still a pokey little machine

Clio 172
if money was not issue i'd have a 172. And sorry for being dumb but is the dci turbo or non turbo ? Cheers

Clio 172
As above ive heard good stuff about the dci

What Phase are you planning on getting?

also im sure there a 1.6 16v engine available

the 1.4 16v engines were 98bhp iirc so still a pokey little machine

Phase 2 i think, is phase 1 the one with the diamond on the bonnet and the phase 2 with it on the grill ?

its turbo, and I meant if I wanted to tune small block. TBH, if money was no issue I probably wouldnt touch a 172, because it's all been done.

Clio 172
ah right didnt realise it was a turbo engine, was expecting it to say tdci instead or something. might have to look into that a bit more then.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
<3 the ph1. Don't think I could have a non-sport ph2...oh wait. :(

It's so much fun to drive, even though I had the bottom spec one with no power steering, 13" alloys and 5 doors I loved it lol.

Clio 182 + Recaros
Do you want a 172 for the performance or the looks?

If insurance is a problem which at 19 I suspect it will be, maybe you should consider buying a rep? I'm not a huge fan but I have seen a few on the forum that really do look good, rather than looking like a dogs dinner.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
been lookin on the dci club site, and its pushing me slightly closer to having a dci. Quite a few little mods you can do such as the remap, intercooler etc... and i like the idea of having a turbo for a change. Ill be doing quite a few miles so should work out better for me !

Everyones help and advice has been great !

Clio 172
Do you want a 172 for the performance or the looks?

If insurance is a problem which at 19 I suspect it will be, maybe you should consider buying a rep? I'm not a huge fan but I have seen a few on the forum that really do look good, rather than looking like a dogs dinner.

Its a mixture of both to be honest mate, i think the renault sports look really smart and obviously perform really well. I think im gonna go for a dci (100) and see what happens, ideas so far are 182 alloys and a 172 rear bumper etc.. not too fussed about bein a rep or bein a mix and match of different cars as long as i am happy with the outcome.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Insurance on dCi's is dearer than the 1.2/1.4's, but the tax is miles cheaper. Beware of the costly repairs though. Tbh, if you're not doing 20k miles+ per year, go for the 1.2/4.

:)

MCS R56
Its a mixture of both to be honest mate, i think the renault sports look really smart and obviously perform really well. I think im gonna go for a dci (100) and see what happens, ideas so far are 182 alloys and a 172 rear bumper etc.. not too fussed about bein a rep or bein a mix and match of different cars as long as i am happy with the outcome.

At least you'll get some torque!

Fiesta ST
Will B I'm gonna be paying £2180 for my Clio 200 on my insurance, I'm 21 with my full license for a month with no no claims. I did the quote on quotezone, and the cheapest company that offered me insurance was Thames-city Insurance. Gocompare and meerkat were charging over £5k for the same car. Why the big difference I don't know. I did some searching on google for 'performance car insurance for young drivers' and quote-zone came up, and they were the cheapest comparison website I've come across.
I will say that the excess is VERY high, so if you decide to try and save on the monthly costs insurance companies will give you the benefit of the doubt, but rinse you if you smash your car into someone else's. So the moral is if you crash, make sure you didn't cause it!

MCS R56
Will B I'm gonna be paying £2180 for my Clio 200 on my insurance, I'm 21 with my full license for a month with no no claims. I did the quote on quotezone, and the cheapest company that offered me insurance was Thames-city Insurance. Gocompare and meerkat were charging over £5k for the same car. Why the big difference I don't know. I did some searching on google for 'performance car insurance for young drivers' and quote-zone came up, and they were the cheapest comparison website I've come across.
I will say that the excess is VERY high, so if you decide to try and save on the monthly costs insurance companies will give you the benefit of the doubt, but rinse you if you smash your car into someone else's. So the moral is if you crash, make sure you didn't cause it!

Wrong thread and wow, proper mental!

Clio 172
i keep having people say things that change my mind and think twice, the dci appeals to me because its still cheap to insure but with a couple of mods will be running at 130 -140 bhp where as the 1.4 will never be far off standard under the bonnet.

Fiesta ST
Its not the wrong thread I was basically saying he might be able to find cheaper insurance if he tries other comparison websites or not using them altogether, as they charge commission which makes the quote more expensive etc, since I used go-compare and they qouted double for similar companies than what quotezone was quoting.

320d
I'd go for the dci. They're a big improvement over the small petrol engines. Actually feel like they have a bit of go in them.

1.4 phase 1
dont bother tuning the engine just put some springs and alloys on it is more than enough with low powered cars. plus how is your insurance that low already, im paying much more for my 1.4 lol and im getting a clio 16 vavler in december lol.