ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which finishing polish?

clio williams n0.26
i am looking to pc my car but would be interested to know wat polish ppl would recommend,
so far ive decided to go with the menzerna p085rd instead of the poorboys ssr1.
wat alternatives are there for the poorboys ssr 2.5? or is that the best one to go for.

its for swirl and minor scratch removal on my williams 3, any tips or advice is greatly appreciated

106 GTi
Depends what your using as the sealant/wax to be honest.

The Menzerna Intensive polish and Final Polish 2 work out well before Zaino

Then there is Poorboys SSR 2.5 or Megs 83, followed by Optimum Polish or Megs 80 Speed Glaze or SSR 1.

I worked on a Peugeot 306 today and went for a 3 stage approach, SSR 2.5 - light cut pad, Optimum Polish - polishing pad, Clearkote Vanilla Moose - finishing pad, then followed up with CG M Seal by hand, looked superb.

Skoda Fabia vRS
id go the Poorboys route, its very very easy on/off and you can get good results with it

ive got all 3 of the SSR range now

Skoda Fabia vRS
it did for me, the roof of my mums G reg Nissan Sunny was heavily faded, i used SSR2 and it worked well but i needed more cut so i cracked out the 3

hopefully you can see the line on these poor pics of where i have done and havent

mumscar4.jpg

mumscar3.jpg

mumscar2.jpg

All finished, SSR3 / SSR2 / AG SRP.........i could have spent more time on it and got it looking mint but the improvement i made was massive, even my mum noticed it, and rain stopped play :(

mumscar1.jpg

ITB BG 182
Ok i think im posting in the wrong section but im from Nottingham and im desperatly looking for some one to get rid of all the damm fine hair line scratchs from when sunwin renault sent it through a damm auto car wash.
If anyone knows anybody that is good with this and can send me prices to do the whole car top to bottom then my email is clio182_boy@hotmail.co.uk

RB 182
I believe that 182_blue is from Notts so send a PM to him with what your after and I'm sure he can help.

Fiat Coupe 20vt
Good choice going with the Menzerna PO85RD.

I've not found a polish quite like it for finishing. Really it is a different league to the Poorboys stuff in every respect.

It's a completely different polish to the traditional Final Polish II (PO85U) in that it finishes with lots more gloss and has less cut. Menzerna give it a rating of 5 out of 5 for gloss and just 1.5 for cut.

The finish it leaves on a surface which has been compounded makes the paint look like it's just been sprayed. Adding a wax or sealant almost detracts from the look it's that good.

Heres a couple of cars detailed by Steve (L200 Steve) where he used PO85RD

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9934
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9884

Another of the Menzerna range which may be of interest is the PO106FF, this is even more versitle as it has slightly more cut, so does remove swirls yet still finishes very brightly. Obviously the following was on softer Honda paint, but it give you an idea of the level of gloss and correction that can be achieved just using the one polish. That was done with a SFX-2 Enhance polishing pad and about 4-5 passes with the PC. (more pictures on the website) The other benefit of them is they don't dust like traditional polishes as they are better lubricated, which also means they can be worked longer.

As a all round polish it's very hard to beat.

DSCF1777.jpg

Cheers Tim

Fiat Coupe 20vt
Aye very wet, the PO85RD is a pure finishing polish though, and thats what it's designed to do. It won't do much in the way of dealing with swirls but really does leave a very moist oven ready surface.

I even found supposedly tough to apply sealants like Klasse Sealant Glaze really easy to work with after it, both in application and removal.

I am going to be a tad controversial - by PC all finishing polishes perform the same i.e you would be extremly hard pressed to find any difference.

By rotary the menzerna pro final polish really is unbeatabe producing a significantly better close up finish than any other polish.

Fiat Coupe 20vt
Hi Brazo, although I can't doubt your wisdom on PC'ing, I have to disagree. :rasp:

Just going from the Menzerna range, there are 3 different finishing polishes, all designed as Final Finishes.

PO106FF (cut:2.5 gloss: 5.0)
PO85RD (cut:1.5 gloss: 5.0)
PO85U (cut:3.0 gloss:4.0)

The top two are the new cerami coat polishes, the later standard Final Finish or as the Americans call it Final Polish II. After using all three quite a bit recently they all finish differently by PC.

On traditional clearcoats PO106FF has enough cut to remove defects and leave a bright finish, but you would probably struggle to see the difference between that and PO85RD. Howver I have found using PO85U and PO85RD side by side there is a visailbe difference.

Also it's how the polish works in how it dusts, ease of application and removal. Again all are slightly different and different to the Poorboys, with the PO85RD IMHO being the easiest followed by PO106FF followed by PO85U.

The PO85RD doesn't pass VOC regs in America, so it may be the reason why this in my eyes leaves a wetter finish straight from the polishing stage.

I also got better results with the Sonus range than the Poorboys, which is why in the end I plumped to stock those over Poorboys. (thats controversial :eek: )

All the above observations are by PC.

Last edited:
  106 GTi
Tim I was going to grab some Final Polish II for use on my own car but I am liking the idea of the PO85RD now as I really only want to add gloss.

But for times when I do need it - What have you been using before it for the swirl removal? Intensive Polish?

Cheers

Rich

cleanyourcar said:
Hi Brazo, although I can't doubt your wisdom on PC'ing, I have to disagree. :rasp:

Just going from the Menzerna range, there are 3 different finishing polishes, all designed as Final Finishes.

PO106FF (cut:2.5 gloss: 5.0)
PO85RD (cut:1.5 gloss: 5.0)
PO85U (cut:3.0 gloss:4.0)

The top two are the new cerami coat polishes, the later standard Final Finish or as the Americans call it Final Polish II. After using all three quite a bit recently they all finish differently by PC.

On traditional clearcoats PO106FF has enough cut to remove defects and leave a bright finish, but you would probably struggle to see the difference between that and PO85RD. Howver I have found using PO85U and PO85RD side by side there is a visailbe difference.

Also it's how the polish works in how it dusts, ease of application and removal. Again all are slightly different and different to the Poorboys, with the PO85RD IMHO being the easiest followed by PO106FF followed by PO85U.

The PO85RD doesn't pass VOC regs in America, so it may be the reason why this in my eyes leaves a wetter finish straight from the polishing stage.

I also got better results with the Sonus range than the Poorboys, which is why in the end I plumped to stock those over Poorboys. (thats controversial :eek: )

All the above observations are by PC.

Tim

The nature of the pc i.e random orbit is too eratic to break down a polish evenly - unlike a rotary where perfect finishes can be achieved. Admittedly the menz pro come very close by PC - closest I have seen on flat red or flat black colours but when you work on mettalics the flake hides the minor marring left behind by the PC. Ideally you need a brinkman to see this marring.

Maybe I shoud have said the difference doesn't show on mettalics :)

The above is hard to stomach I agree, indeed I've only recently discovered it but once a rotary is mastered, the pc becomes a secondary finishing tool - in comparison. :)

Fiat Coupe 20vt
Take your point on that Brazo, I agrre with what you are saying. I was meaning more the cut. Like the Honda above I was able to remove defects with the PO106FF which Po85RD wouldn't do. I'm sure there is somthing in the PO85RD thats slightly different though.

^^TBH I think we're saying the same thing I meant in final polishing 'gloss' terms i.e a swirl free #80 finish is as good as a swirl free po106ff finish until you use a rotary then the #80 oses out!