ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which is the best drive, 182 or 172

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
what about mpg which is best ,tyres, parts, in terms of running costs ect

similar but 172 slightly better mpg but not by much. Same servicing tyres etc. Price wise a decent 172 will cost 4-5k dependant on mileage. Coilovers add £1000 and job done.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Look here:
2.jpg

Try to not to cry when you see how much mine costs to run on a monthly basis though :S

Last edited:
  172 with k-tec sound
Yeah , 182 with cup packs . Speedwise there was no difference in my 182 with cup packs compared to my (full fat ;) )172 , but handling wise there was definitely a difference with the 182 over the 172 , some of that could be partly down to the exaltos , the slightly lower stiffer suspension and the wider track . But there is definitely a difference imo .

cool thnx

172 with k-tec sound
ok i think im more confused then when i started, looks like i will have to find a way of trying them, n seeing which one i like the 182 with both cup packs or the 172 cup, and the 172 fully loaded.

what about colour choice?

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
whats a fully loaded 172 then?

A fully loaded 172 as you like to call it is the same as the full fat 182 ( waits for the full fat police , lol ) .

They have the leather interior , aircon , climate control , xenons , upgraded speakers , in the 182 it's a newer update list cd player in the dash rather than the tuner list in the 172 . My 172 came with the 6 cd multiplayer under the passenger seat as standard . On the 182 the cd multiplayer was an optional extra .

A bit more info here on the numbers of cars produced and specification .
http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/heritage/

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's not, it's just as 172 there is no fully loaded 172 as it didn't come with optional cup packs like the 182 did,

172 with k-tec sound
A fully loaded 172 as you like to call it is the same as the full fat 182 ( waits for the full fat police , lol ) .

They have the leather interior , aircon , climate control , xenons , upgraded speakers , in the 182 it's a newer update list cd player in the dash rather than the tuner list in the 172 . My 172 came with the 6 cd multiplayer under the passenger seat as standard . On the 182 the cd multiplayer was an optional extra .

A bit more info here on the numbers of cars produced and specification .
http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/roadcars/heritage/

cool thanx for link its most usefull

RS mk2 172
TBH I have never driven the 182 but I have both the 172 and the 172 cup and there is f*ck all difference in performance or handling, its all down to comforts.
Test drive them all and make your own mind up as there are weekly threads like this and its all down to personal choice.

SLK 350
Having owned a 172FF and a 182(both cup packs), I can tell you the 182 was head and shoulders above the 172 handling wise.

SLK 350
Just to quantify that (was in a rush earlier), then 172 feels sloppy in comparison to a cupped 182. The changes aren't simply the 10bhp/mani/exhaust.

Don't get me wrong it's not night and day, but if you go from one to another you'll notice the difference.

Countryman JCW
Ive been in a 172cup and a 182 cup, and i own a 172 ph1, beats them all! old school all the way, plus u get some creature comforts like A/C, half leather seats, and no fly by wire nonsense haha!

imo of course....

Trophy 265/500
Trophy - it's coming up to the time of year when 172 cups get thinned out a bit more due to lack of ABS ; )

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You know that , and i know that , but DrRollo doesn't seem to know that lol !

eeeerrrrrr

172 Phase 1 (no options)
172 Exclusive.
172 Phase 2 (no options)
172 Cup

182 With Cup suspension/spoiler packs
182 Cup
182 Trophy.

In release order.

Done. The end. ;)

Mondeo TDCI 130
eeeerrrrrr

172 Phase ugly (no options)
172 Exclusive, with rover interior.
172 Phase 2 (no options)
172 Cup

18slow
18slow With Cup suspension/spoiler packs
18slow Cup
18slow Trophy.

In release order.

Done. The end. ;)

:eek:

Mondeo TDCI 130
Ha ha, all in jest kev all in jest, i could see drRollos ears steaming, 172ff, Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
Ha ha, BUT, remember, if you have a cup and it should rain or freeze, you will die FACT.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Your only here as Ben still has it. I tamed the beast for 3yrs due to my skillz behind the wheel ;)

172 with k-tec sound
Ive been in a 172cup and a 182 cup, and i own a 172 ph1, beats them all! old school all the way, plus u get some creature comforts like A/C, half leather seats, and no fly by wire nonsense haha!

imo of course....

you opinion is welcomed thnx

Tav

Clio 197
I was thinking the 182 Cup would be the best comprimise? It's got the Cup goodies which makes it better to drive and it's had a little weight removed without losing two very important bits of kit: air conditioning and ABS. I can live without leather, rear head rests, xenon lights and climate control...but not ABS and air con...one is a great safety net for when you run out of talent and the other is a must have to enjoy a car on a hot sunny day. Then as a little sprinkle on top you get get ESP, traction control and cruise control.

It was certainly the most appealing model to me, hence buying one. I wasn't interested in any of the FF models, the Trophy was a bit on the expensive side and the 172 Cup, whilst appealing, put me off with the lack of ABS...it sounds all well and good saving the weight but I've had cars with no ABS before and they can be a real handful, especially at this time of year. Cadence braking sounds like a solution but try doing it at 40mph approaching a sheep...

So the 182 Cup...the driving enthusiasts Clio...who is also a realist?

P.S Racing Blue is the colour!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've owned every variant except the 172cup. The Trophy is the best to drive (by a mile IMO), but priciest. Not much difference 182 v 172, a lot of people forget that when they got a 182 they were comparing a car on old tired dampers (172) to a car on newer suspension. From new, there's not much difference in them, certainly no difference in speed. The ph1 172's are more fun than a ph2 172 or 182. Pretty similar weight to the 172cup, but you get air-con and ABS.
For me, Trophy or a ph1 172. The 172cup doesn't interest me, for the money you get a ph1 172, set 0f coilovers, and you've got a better car (bar the colour, mondial is very nice).

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I was thinking the 182 Cup would be the best comprimise? It's got the Cup goodies which makes it better to drive and it's had a little weight removed without losing two very important bits of kit: air conditioning and ABS. I can live without leather, rear head rests, xenon lights and climate control...but not ABS and air con...one is a great safety net for when you run out of talent and the other is a must have to enjoy a car on a hot sunny day. Then as a little sprinkle on top you get get ESP, traction control and cruise control.

It was certainly the most appealing model to me, hence buying one. I wasn't interested in any of the FF models, the Trophy was a bit on the expensive side and the 172 Cup, whilst appealing, put me off with the lack of ABS...it sounds all well and good saving the weight but I've had cars with no ABS before and they can be a real handful, especially at this time of year. Cadence braking sounds like a solution but try doing it at 40mph approaching a sheep...

So the 182 Cup...the driving enthusiasts Clio...who is also a realist?

P.S Racing Blue is the colour!
The 182cup was a marketing edition. No significant weight loss, same to drive as a FF with cup packs.

BMW E46 330i Touring
So, as you can tell, EVERYONE has a different opinion. You really need to test drive a couple to see what you prefer.

I loved my old Ph1 and miss it, but my 172 Cup feels a lot more solid, planted and quicker. As much as people say there's no difference between the 172 and th 172 Cup, I believe there is.

However, it is actually impossible to drive a car without ABS throughout the winter months and our chilly 1 degree temperatures without crashing. Or so some people would have you believe...

Tav

Clio 197
Definine significant weight loss, I did say a 'little' lighter...EVO quote 20kgs in both their road test and their technical data? 1090kgs vs. 1110kgs...refelected in the 0-60 & bhp/tonne as well. Every little counts...especially when it requires no effort on the owners part to achieve.

Good quote from them too:

But while the 172 Cup was a hardcore special, stripped of air-con, ABS, traction control and a few other luxuries to bring down its weight and price, the 182 Cup isn't quite so full-on. Because rather like the Elise, when it comes to daily life with a car, owners prefer the theory and cachet of a driver-focused machine to the reality of it. Hence the Clio 182's spec includes air-conditioning (albeit the manual type rather than the standard car's automatic climate control) and ABS. To be fair, the inclusion of ABS is something we welcome, as its absence on the 172 Cup was acutely noticeable, especially on the open road in the wet. And although we're probably too hairy-chested to admit it, having air-con is a real bonus, too.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Definine significant weight loss, I did say a 'little' lighter...EVO quote 20kgs in both their road test and their technical data? 1090kgs vs. 1110kgs...refelected in the 0-60 & bhp/tonne as well. Every little counts...especially when it requires no effort on the owners part to achieve.

Good quote from them too:
Line up a 182 and a 182cup. There's no difference.

Tav

Clio 197
Line up a 182 and a 182cup. There's no difference.

Anyone put them on corner weights? 20kg is 20kg...I wouldn't sniff at it...if the quoted figures are accurate then it's a valid benefit regardless of whether or not they accelerate the same from rest.

Appears you omitted the second half of my sentence, see the above quote in bold text for a reason. I drove a 700kg car with no ABS or air con for a year...it was a pain in the tits for marginal gains in performance.