ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which networks offer data cap?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Do any of you guys know who does data caps especially on rolling sim only deals ? as my youngest son has used 7 gigs over his 2g allowance much to my annoyance !!and wallet :angry:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I never got that. No one seems interested in capping. Very annoying. I think some android phones you can stop it after a certain amount. An app might help.

Lou

Tesco Mobile do as my sister has a cap on my nephews phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RB Clio 182
My ee contract is capped with iphone, im not sure if they do it on sim tho, i didnt even have to cap it, i got a txt message to say i had used all my data and it gave me a choice to buy more data really cheap.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
VM said he should have had txt to say he's near the limit but he says he hasn't ? problem of relying on the phone is the kids forgetting to turn it on or check.
They may have no interest in capping as some mug has to pay up lol

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Ee cap on contracts so may do on a 12month sim only contract?

If it is an android you can set a warning just before and the stop the data when it gets to the pre set limit. Only thing is if he's a smart boy he will be able to change that himself!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I am pretty sure my EE sim only is capped at 4GB, i've never actually managed to use 4GB though

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My ee contract is capped with iphone, im not sure if they do it on sim tho, i didnt even have to cap it, i got a txt message to say i had used all my data and it gave me a choice to buy more data really cheap.

This EE just stop you're data from working then give you option to buy more.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
As far as I'm aware, any network has to allow you to cap data by law. Ring up the provider of your sons phone and ask them to put a cap on - they're not allowed to say no AFAIK.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
VM said they don't and won't cap data , said fin heres my 30 day notice for both contracts now I will have to find one or two.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Ee cap on contracts so may do on a 12month sim only contract?

If it is an android you can set a warning just before and the stop the data when it gets to the pre set limit. Only thing is if he's a smart boy he will be able to change that himself!
Just checked his phone and he "didn't see " the 75%,95% 100% data used warnings....

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Alternatively, Three offer unlimited data sim only packages that aren't that expensive, at least mine isn't. Unlimited data, unlimited texts and tons of calls for £12 a month! Not 100% they still do it, but they might...

EDIT - Just checked and it has gone up... 1 month rolling contract (so can be cancelled anytime) and is £26 a month but that is unlimited data and is likely much cheaper than an out of terms data charge!

Im on EE and itll text you when your close to limit and then itll text again when you've hit. No data allowed then until you buy more.
Im on EE Contract with a handset so unknown about Sim Only etc. Ive hit the limit most months.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Do any of you guys know who does data caps especially on rolling sim only deals ? as my youngest son has used 7 gigs over his 2g allowance much to my annoyance !!and wallet :angry:
Just take his phone off him for 5 months to equate to the 5GB over. He'll soon learn.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, someone has to pay for the data - him!

He can do chores or have it taken out of his pocket money or whatever, he'll soon learn :)

Maybe more constructively, take a look at giffgaff - they do a sim which gives 6Gb but never cuts you off, it just limits your speed if you go over the cap so you'll never pay any extra charges.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
When I was in Germany, when your data ran out it just went really slow, pretty much same as having E signal, so could still send iMessages and what's app it was ace.