ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which oil

mk1 172

i posted this a few weeks back but forgot what you all said !

im getting my car serviced on the 9th june, i am supplying my own oil for the oil change.

which should i get ? i want some decent stuff.....not something that i have to get off the net or whatever, just something i can go to halfords or wherever and buy it.

i want really really good stuff !

my car is a mk1 172 if you have all forgotten.

cheers folks

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Would recommend getting some Forte engine flush to get rid of all the crap in the engine. No good putting good oil in with that swimming around. Can get cheap off ebay.

Oils.... Silkolene Pro S, Millers.... either would be my preferred choice.

With engine flush, what do you do? Empty out old oil, put in new cheap oil with flush also, run for a few miles drain and then put in decent oil?

I personnaly wouldnt recommend Engine Flushing as it can cause problems afterwards with weeping gaskets, excess oil use etc..

Why? because it removes carbon and Gum deposits that have built up around Oil seals etc.. These actually inhibit leaks etc..

If you are doing regular oil changes then Flushing is not required..

The choice is Yours..

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by 172 Exclusive on 02 June 2005

I personnaly wouldnt recommend Engine Flush as it can cause problems afterwards with weeping gaskets, excess oil use etc..

Why? because it removes carbon and Gum deposits that have built up around Oil seals etc.. These actually inhibit leaks etc..

If you are doing regular oil changes then Flushing is not required..

The choice is Yours..
Yup thsi is very true

especially in older vehicles.

Flushing thru can cause many after effect problems

ok, wont be doing that then!!

Sorry for the thead hijack but can I just ask how hard it is to change the oil filter, and the oil itself? I had a look and the filter looks to be in a fairly tight spot, but just about gettable at with the proper tool.....rather do it myself and save the dosh.

Its just under 5 litres that a mk2 172 needs isnt it?

Im having my oil changed in the 182 tomorrow morning at Renault, supplying my own oil from Debra at Total Butler. he he

Yeh but my local renault want £50 to do it!!

Thats why I want to do it myself, cant be that difficult can it?

Im going to put in some Silkolene Pro S form the oilman.

You need to remove the Metal Fuel injector cover.. There are two nuts holding it on.. You will need a long socket to get to them..

Other than that is pretty straight forward..

...which theyll probably sell on ebay after filling your Clio with chip fat ;)

[Edited by Roy Munson on 6/2/2005 6:46:56 PM]

[edit] @jay

You need to remove the Metal Fuel injector cover.. There are two nuts holding it on.. You will need a long socket to get to them..Other than that is pretty straight forward..

Cheers :)

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 02 June 2005

...which theyll probably sell on ebay after filling your Clio with chip fat ;)

[edit] @jay
probably !!

or be sold at reception desk as a special offer lmao

Skoda Fabia vRS

if you want somethin you could go out and buy now, id say Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40

but seein as you have a few days before its being done, id order some Silkolene Pro S 5W-40 from oilman

Quote: Originally posted by Has on 02 June 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 02 June 2005...which theyll probably sell on ebay after filling your Clio with chip fat ;)

[edit] @jay[/QUOTE]probably !!or be sold at reception desk as a special offer lmao 

:mad: Not going to sleep tonight!

Is it 4.75 litres they use?

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Never had a problem with using Forte engine flush. Cant see why you need crud in engine to hold everything together and stop leaks.

Id rather be rid of the crud and have new oil getting everywhere its supposed to rather than be inhibited by debris and gunk.

Forte stuff is just added through your filler cap, car idled for up to 30 mins then drained.

Matty: when you see a car that has been "Flushed" and it starts to piss oil out of every seal/gasket then you will see the problem.. ;)

Darsworld: 5W40 is Fully Synthetic.. Do a search because the Oil topic has been Done to Death.. :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by darswold on 05 June 2005

surely 0w40 is fully synthetic ?

am i dumb ?
why would 0w40 be the only fully synthetic ???, synthetic is synthetic mineral is mineral whatever the grade

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Matty: when you see a car that has been "Flushed" and it starts to piss oil out of every seal/gasket then you will see the problem.. ;)

Darsworld: 5W40 is Fully Synthetic.. Do a search because the Oil topic has been Done to Death.. :confused:
Used Forte engine flush twice now and at 102k. No sign of oil pouring out or even dripping........

2005 Impreza WRX STI

ive been to several motor factors and not once does it say 0w 40 or 5w 40. they all say 10w40 semi syn and one actually recommended 15w40.

everyone on here says 5w40 fully synthetic???

2005 Impreza WRX STI

ive read the 182 thread about oil and ppl say ruk recommend it.but how come motor factors dont?u would have thought they would rather sell u 5w40 to make more money??????

I did an oil change on Saturday, picked up a Renault oil filter. Then popped to Halfords for their own 5w40 fully synthetic oil.

Buy one get one free :cool:

Quote: Originally posted by Clarkie172 on 06 June 2005

ive been to several motor factors and not once does it say 0w 40 or 5w 40. they all say 10w40 semi syn and one actually recommended 15w40.

everyone on here says 5w40 fully synthetic???

Clarkie..........Reno, Oilman (forum member, supplier), Total Butler (Elf supplier) all recommend 5 w 40 oil............which is also the most common used in high performance cars.

Also it will say 5 w 40 on the front of the container.

Cya Stu

PS none of the above or anyone on the forum would recommend 15 w 40.

CTR

Halfords say 10W-40 or 15W-40 part synth for regular post-1990 engines. But for performance engines they recommend 0W-40 or 5W-40 fully synth.

Think the only thing to look out for is not to switch to fully synth until the engines properly run in. Ive absolutely no idea what Im talking about, but as Matty says, there are literally dozens of other oil threads in the forum that should hopefully explain why!

Why 5w-40?

Because, it has better cold start than 10w, 15w etc meaning less engine wear and it still protects as an sae 40 at 100degC.

Its synthetic an none of this hydrocracked rubbish and therefore stays in grade longer meaning longer drain intervals.

And, Renault now recommend it for all their cars!

Cheers

Simon