ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which one? 182 or 172?

Hi,

I own a Porsche Boxster S (dont start please :) ) but am in need of some cash for a house (sigh...) so Im planning on selling it and buying something cheaper, but it's essential I still get the driving thrill I love so much...
OK, so its not a boxster, but EVO love the clio sports so I have to consider them.

Question is, do I save money and go for a 172? or do I opt for a newer more pricey 182? And is the 182 significantly different/better?

Please, genuine advice much appreciated chaps

Alan

106 GTi
Welcome to CS.

I would go for the newest one you can find tbh. The 182 Cup or 182 with Cup options is a notch above the normal 172s handling wise. Most regard the 172 cup and 182 Trophys as the true drivers cars though.

Leon Cupra R 225
Could not agree more with Rich as above, ^^ the 172 cup and 182 trophy give an extra bite when it comes to the thrill factor than other models. My choice would be the 182 trophy purely for driving reasons and a more race feel to it.

MINI JCW
If your main reason for selling is for financial reasons then I would get a 172, despite what people say on here, if you are just driving them on the roads you wont notice the difference between any of the different varaitions be it (172, 172cup, 182, 182, 182 with cup packs, 182cup or 182 trophy)

All belting cars, I was in a similar situation to you and ended up with the 172 as I couldn't justify the extra 4k for the 182. Loving every minute of it

tiTTy & SV650
182 aint worth it unless u want the warranty. all 182's should still be under warranty unless imported from some obscure country.

not enough difference to justify it really, I bought it cause I was buying new. considered a mk1 172? under £5k and same performance.

Nissan 350Z
Theres another way to look at it: Perhaps the 172's have had all the warranty work done so you wont have to go through all the niggles.

Mine has been in the dealers at least 6 times in 6 months for niggles, and TBH its getting quite tiresome, even though i do like the car.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've had a mk2 172 , now got a 182 with cup packs . The 182 handles hell of alot better than the 172 did , better suspension on the 182 , better grip from the standard michelin exalto tyres .

I'd go for the 182 ff with cup packs if i were you mate .

Meg 225 with cup packs.
I'd go for a 182 as well. Mind you that's probably only 'cause i'm selling mine;). BTW, welcome to the madhouse.

Nimbus Clio 197
i wouldnt. i'd get a 172. If you need cash for a house, might as well get the 172 to leave you with plenty more with a near identical drive.

BMW M3
Think it really depends on your driving style mate... I have a 182 with no cup packs and have driven both the 172 and 182 cup and in every day driving or some country road fun, i think they are pretty much the same in terms of handling. Tracking them might start to show the difference but i havnt done that so can really comment.

182 if you want warrenty, but as pbirkett said, the work (which there will be lol) would hopefully have been done, so less hassle. Plus, save a bit of money. Tricky one?

tiTTy & SV650
dont agree that the work will have been done there's a lot of people oblivious to faults out there, it'd be pretty naive to expect the work to have been done.

When people say they've never had a problem with their RS Clioit makes me very sceptical and think, do they know what to look / listen / feel for?! lol

Also if its a low mileage 172 then problems might not have arisen within the warranty period.

Not trying to sell the 182 over the 172, just saying might be better to get something with warranty, it's French after all.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
williams!!! lol

depends how much cash you want freed up for your house purchase and how badly you want that thrill factor amd what your driving style is and what you want to use the car for......track days?

also dont just look at figures in the back of evo, in real world there is naff all difference until you take it on track or the 1/4mile

where the mk1 boys have won.......twice

Last edited:
So, now Im confused!
Car history... Puma 1.7, Civic Type-R, BMW 328ci, Boxster S...

Its fair to say, Im now in love with RWD, but also appreciate a brilliant FWD car too.

Bottom line, I want performance, but I would really like Steering feel, Gearshift quality, and build quality/cabin build to be pretty good too.

Is the 172 any different from 182 in terms of the steering/gearshift? What about the cabin? The seating was cack in the 172, more the position and steering wheel size and feel IIRC (when I changed to the CTR, I drove an early 2nd gen 172!), does the 182 move things on? Or is it mainly the engine mods?

And, are these seriously that bad for faults? I cannot be doing with faults, especially after the BMW (brilliant, but why so many sensors have to fail in one year of ownership I dont know!)

Should I look elsewhere then? Seriously, and honestly, would you?

I realise a Boxster S is not in any way a comparison to a bargain FWD hatch, but Im primarily looking for an involving drive, with smiles every time I drive it!

Cheers

A

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
the phase 2 172 and 182 have the same drive train gearbox etc, the only noticible difference is the exhaust system, (better manifold+twin pipes) and if you get a cup packed 182, (anthricite wheels)you get same track width as a 172 cup... the interior of a 182 is the same (different cloth) as a phase2 172

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
mk2 172 and the newer 182's interior , seats , crap driving position are both the same .

Having owned my 172 and 48k under its belt i can honestly say that my 182 with cup suspension and slightly wider tyres is miles better in terms of handling . Looks better than the 172 with the twin exhaust imo . Plus if you go for a 172 cup you get the dynamique cloth interior , not to my liking at all , and standard headlights , Xenons in the 182 , far superior ;)

Plus earlier 172's didn't have traction control and esp , i think some of the later models might have , standard on the 182's though .

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
MRBILLYUK said:
mk2 172 and the newer 182's interior , seats , crap driving position are both the same .

Having owned my 172 and 48k under its belt i can honestly say that my 182 with cup suspension and slightly wider tyres is miles better in terms of handling . but just not as good as a 172 cup, the give a better feel, and have better alloys ;) Looks better than the 172 with the twin exhaust imo . Plus if you go for a 172 cup you get the dynamique cloth interior , not to my liking at all , and standard headlights , Xenons in the 182 , far superior ;)

Plus earlier 172's didn't have traction control and esp , i think some of the later models might have , standard on the 182's though .

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
the 172cup never had dynamique interior,

if you want an involving drive and a bargain FWD hot hatch test drive a williams clio mate, smiles aplenty and is defo involving,

tiTTy & SV650
gt_gaz said:
the phase 2 172 and 182 have the same drive train gearbox etc,

I think the ratios are different in the 182...

Seriously though the seating postion is s**t (but you get used to it) and the steering feel aint all that IMO, get a 306gti / rallye and save a few more quid.

172 / 182 are great cars for the money, lots of fun and will put a big grin on your face.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
lawrence said:
the 172cup never had dynamique interior,

if you want an involving drive and a bargain FWD hot hatch test drive a williams clio mate, smiles aplenty and is defo involving,

^^^^ Billabong interior then , i know its some crappy cloth interior , lol ;)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Like Stevo evo says , You won't get a straight answer off us lot , lol .

Best thing to do is go and drive a couple , 172 ff's , cup and 182's with cup suspension , then make your judgement . Different colours also in the 172's and 182's .

I've been driving em for over 5 years and i still get a grin when i boot it .

Turbos.
When i bought my 172 i thought the seating position and gearbox especially was pants, but it only took a week to forget all about them.

I almost bought a CTR, it's undoubtedly the better all round car but i was willling to compromise to have a more entertaining drive. I guess it depends how much money you want to save and where your priorities lie...

CTRs are in demand at the moment whereas you can get a decent 172 for £6k and 182 for £8k. I bought an extended warranty (not Renault) for just £150...

As someone has said, i would familiarise yourself with a few hot hatches and make your own mind up! Despite the niggles though, i don't regret getting a 172. Funnily enough i bought it off a guy moving up to a Boxster S!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Can anyone help?

I am thinking of buying a clio 182! Does anyone have any tips on what to look out for, as in noises, recalls that sort of thing. I know very little about the 182's you see, any help would be much appreciated.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Usual Renault interior rattles , easy to live with , some worse than others . Steering knockin on right hand full lock , can be made right under warranty , mine does it but can't be bothered gettin it sorted as it not detrimental to the cars performance , its only a slight knock anyway . Some people have had suspension springs snap ,get it done under warranty .

Most problems seem to actually come from incompetent dealers , not knowing their arse form the elbows.

Not the best driving position in the world but you soon learn to get used to it.

Other than that nothing major , bags of fun for not alot of money .

Get yourself a test drive and enjoy :)

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
MRBILLYUK said:
^^^^ Billabong interior then , i know its some crappy cloth interior , lol ;)

nope not even that, its cup interior and yes it is s**t but who cares when your going flat out;)

Rich said:
Welcome to CS.

I would go for the newest one you can find tbh. The 182 Cup or 182 with Cup options is a notch above the normal 172s handling wise. Most regard the 172 cup and 182 Trophys as the true drivers cars though.

^^^^^^^^^^^defo :star:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
lawrence said:
nope not even that, its cup interior and yes it is sh*t but who cares when your going flat out;)

If you can live with cup interior thats fine , i know i couldn't thats why i went full fat . Each to their own :)

Clio 172 mk2
MRBILLYUK said:
If you can live with cup interior thats fine , i know i couldn't thats why i went full fat . Each to their own :)

I couldn't live with it either and also had to go for full fat

182 + Cup
Hey Alan, how confused are you now???!! The 182 owners will say the 182 is better, the 172 owners will say the 172 is better....

The common denominator is that both 172 and 182 owners all love their cars, regardless of the little annoying problems they sometimes have. If nothing else this should tell you that the Clio RS in general is a great proposition, whatever flavour you get.

Happy shopping :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Im in a similar kinda boat at the mo, sold my M Roadster to save some money for boring things so bought a 182 with cup packs, now need more money for more boring things so looking to get either a 172 cup or FF172 . . . . need to test drive both i think :D

C

Cupster

FF's have a dynamique interior too!! Just in leather. Cups have a different cloth but same seats. (no adjustable headrests in front and none atall in the back)