ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which rainsport3 tyre? 3 variants

Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
Hey.

I'm looking at getting some decent rubber for the clio.

I've decided on the rainsport3's! However there are three types: 83V, 83Y and the 87Y XL

What do these figures relate to? Sidewall stiffness?

Which one should I go for? I do a 12 mile commute to work on standard 30/40mph roads. No motorway.

Would like more steering wheel feedback

Thanks X

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
If your looking for decent rubber then the RS3 may not be for you, its a great budget tyre but there are better out there. If the RS3s are what your after go for the largest load rating, as this will stifen the walls and add a more positive feedback. All the loadings (numbers) and speed ratings (letters) will suit any clio.

RB Clio 182
Why do people think that because you pay more, you get better results?

My rs3's are miles better in the wet than my old exaltos, and are similar in dry conditions.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
If your looking for decent rubber then the RS3 may not be for you, its a great budget tyre but there are better out there. If the RS3s are what your after go for the largest load rating, as this will stifen the walls and add a more positive feedback. All the loadings (numbers) and speed ratings (letters) will suit any clio.

Budget tyre

Behave!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Pilot sport 3
Had these in place of my RS2s and not convinced they are any better.

My rs3's are miles better in the wet than my old exaltos, and are similar in dry conditions.

Because generally its true, of course there are exceptions.

Budget tyre

Behave!
Budget maybe harsh, mid range would be fairer. I tend to discount proper budgets as they are something ive avoided on any car for past 12 yrs.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Mid range is more like it! I'm a uniroyal fanboy though - admittedley, the tread blocks are tall and lean a little but once scrubbed in, superb!

BG Clio 182 FF
Good for winter as the tread blocks are massive. 9mm of tread too.

Does make them a bit squishy and floppy in summer/dry conditions.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

PS3 are up there with CS5s etc and from a couple of reviews I have seen they have still surpassed the RS3 in both wet and dry. Plus if they are anything like the RS2 their wear rate will not be half as good as the PS3s. My old set was driven hard on road for 5k on the back then 13k on the front before it was time to switch. Doubt the rainsports would come close to this.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
People will never agree on tyres. It's a waste of time asking. I manage perfectly fine on track with road tyres but others will destroy them in just a few laps. I've just got to the point now where I stick the equivalent to what Renault put on. Easy and I've haven't been dissapointed. 182FF I used PS3 and in the Cup I've gone for the standard 195/45/16 size in a Contisport 3.

Against any of the Clio rivals that I've come up against which are standard and also running road rubber and have occasional track day drivers like myself at the wheel the tyres Renault picked are more than enough to keep up the Clios lofty handling crown.

The Uniroyals are a good tyre. I have been impressed with even their rain expert range. Currently on my Peugeot with a set of rain sport 3's on the back as the Experts aren't available in my side easily anymore. As for load maybe try e-mailing uniroyal or just match what the Clio had originally.

If your gonna try and chase well driven Porsches in a Clio then you'll kill any tyre you can put on.

Maybe there is another issue regarding steering feel. Even the knackered set of kuhmo's on my cup for the first track day in it where chatty enough. Worn track rod ends/inner rods maybe?

Last edited:
  BG Clio 182 FF
People will never agree on tyres. It's a waste of time asking. I manage perfectly fine on track with road tyres but others will destroy them in just a few laps. I've just got to the point now where I stick the equivalent to what Renault put on. Easy and I've haven't been dissapointed. 182FF I used PS3 and in the Cup I've gone for the standard 195/45/16 size in a Contisport 3.

Against any of the Clio rivals that I've come up against which are standard and also running road rubber and have occasional track day drivers like myself at the wheel the tyres Renault picked are more than enough to keep up the Clios lofty handling crown.

The Uniroyals are a good tyre. I have been impressed with even their rain expert range. Currently on my Peugeot with a set of rain sport 3's on the back as the Experts aren't available in my side easily anymore. As for load maybe try e-mailing uniroyal or just match what the Clio had originally.

If your gonna try and chase well driven Porsches in a Clio then you'll kill any tyre you can put on.

Maybe there is another issue regarding steering feel. Even the knackered set of kuhmo's on my cup for the first track day in it where chatty enough. Worn track rod ends/inner rods maybe?

Completely agree. Everyone has different opinions. Tyres you love, 20 other people will hate.

It's just a matter of finding what works for you.