ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whining on cold start up

Clio 182 Fiat Coupe
Hi All,

When starting my 182 up on cold mornings I get a terrible whining noise which lasts for about 20 seconds then goes quiet.

I've tried pressing the clutch pedal up and down a few times and even turned the steering wheel left to right, but this has no effect on the noise.

Could it be an alternator problem or is there anything else I could check? Just out of interest it never whines on a hot start up.

PB Clio 172
Mine does this and are you sure its not the gearbox mount? mine was ! thought it was the belt but I was wrong !

Clio 182 Fiat Coupe
Mine does this and are you sure its not the gearbox mount? mine was ! thought it was the belt but I was wrong !

I haven't checked to be honest, but thanks for the tip. Will be the weekend before I can have a good nosey.

I take it a new mount solved your problem?
Cheers

120d M Sport
Hear a lot of 172's sound like this in the morning, my GTI and my mates VTS do it too. Only on very cold mornings, as u say goes soon after.

Clio 182 Fiat Coupe
Guess I'll just have to turn a blind ear to it then. The car is otherwise fine and it seems a few of you have the same thing so hopefully nothing to worry about.

Cheers guys:)

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Got a replacement unit from renault a few weeks back (Refurb but as new condition)

Whines, apparently standard not just on this car but a few others too.

Clio 182 Fiat Coupe
Hmm, no point spending any money unnecessarily then. Just a (briefly) annoying noise if anything else!

rstuned 182ff bg
mine does this, but its the fuel pump priming its self up, stops after 40 - 50 secs.

your not getting confused with that are you ? op

m.

Clio 182 Fiat Coupe
mine does this, but its the fuel pump priming its self up, stops after 40 - 50 secs.

your not getting confused with that are you ? op

m.

Mine only lasts for 20 secs tops. From the replies I've had I'm certain its nothing sinister and, as you say, it could be a simple priming noise.

Cheers buddy.

corsa D / 172 clio
my 182 does it as well mate

i had new belts,tensioners,water pump,dephaser and clutch and the fuc*er still whines on cold mornings!! lol

corsa D / 172 clio
i have been told that its a belt tension issue and as it warms up the belt loosens off a tiny bit and then the noise goes away!