ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whisling below 2k revs after mot

clio 182
Had mot and failed on emissions, so to pass it the garage held rags over the exhaust tips to get readings that passed the test. On starting it up the engine whistles below 2k revs. Over that and the whistling goes??? Could the mot test be the reason y it whistles now?

Any ideas?

Also had a new sorts cat fitted on the same day, but the engine was fine after that and drove 50+ miles home before the mot test. So I don't think this has anything to do with it.

Cheers people

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Whistle will be caused by either a small leak on a join or there could be a perforated hole in the system some where. Look for condensation leaking out a join when cold or look for black sooty marks where exhaust gas is leaking.

Just had a very similar problem on mine and changed the the cat back to cure.

clio 182
It's when I first turn the car on it's most noticable N below 2k when setting off at any speed it whistles but it's quieter

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Whistle will be an exhaust leak from somewhere. Get it up on axel stands and inspect the exhaust system.

Until you carry out an inspection we can only guess.

clio 182
Whistle will be an exhaust leak from somewhere. Get it up on axel stands and inspect the exhaust system.

Until you carry out an inspection we can only guess.

it was bk at exhaustuk for something else and they checked the whistle and it was coming from exhuast the engine somewhere...

aux belt?
Tensioner?
Water pump?

the guy at exhuastuk said it might be a belt, usually when they sound like mine does, he said they might be on too tight?

well cam belt was done in feb this year and was serviced last monday and they checked the belt... unless they didnt check it properly? who knows