ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

White Smoke (406 V6 Coupe)

Yo,

I know I should probably ask this on a Peugeot forum but thought i'd ask here first..

I picked up a 1999 406 3.0L V6 Coupe over the weekend and all seemed fine. There was an issue with it losing water from either the Radiator or a hose somewhere so I was having to top up every other day.

Monday night we had epic rain and as the car is quite low I got it stuck in a huge puddle, it just stalled and wouldn't start again (EPIC FAIL but I wasn't the only 1:S). I finally got the car out and got it home, it seemed like it was missing and kicking out aload of white smoke. After speaking to some people I left it overnight to dry out.

The next day it wasn't missing and seemed pretty much back to normal. Somehow though the exhaust had collapsed and the garage I took it to said I needed a new middle section. This work was completed today and I asked if they could check the plugs and leads to see if everything was ok. They told me my leads and plugs were fine. They also checked my Radiator and confirmed it was leaking from the bottom - rust.

Now it seems to be driving fine, doesnt sound like it's missing but there is alot of white smoke coming out when it's cold - too much for my liking. There is no gunk or whatever under the oil cap, the oil is a nice clear colour and it never overheats. As far as I can tell (I havent driven it much since the monday incident) when it's upto temp the white smoke goes.

Here is a pic of it :)

media1.jpg

Cheers for anyone that might be able to help.
Rich

Hmm,

Yesterday morning it took like a ltr of water, so I'm guessing it's losing quite abit. The coolant light comes on when I go around a corner when it's low I assume.

It's £99 for a new Radiator so will get that sorted ASAP.

Yeah I must admit the dipstick did say it was over max but the car hadn't been stood up too long after driving so thought it wasn't a correct reading.

Will have a look later on tonight cheers chaps!

Slight update:

I think whoever 'checked the levels' before I drove off from the garage (the place I bought it not the place I got the exhaust fitted) over filled it with oil. Everytime I've checked the dipstick it's always over max and just seems messy. This I assume would cause smoke?

Having looked on the internet I've read that too much oil could kill the Cat? Would it be worth me draining some out or just let it burn off?

Cheers,