ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

White Trackday 172 Project *Contains Awesome*

a thirsty one
Just read from start to finish, immense work, done properly with some genuine attention to detail.

What's the history of the shell judging from the original pics was it pauls sc car ?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Just read from start to finish, immense work, done properly with some genuine attention to detail.

What's the history of the shell judging from the original pics was it pauls sc car ?

Yes it certainly was Paul at RS tunings old shell, i believe Danny bought the car off him. I don't know the goings on in between but this is how i came to find it when i went to view it for the first time. I had to think hard and long about taking this project on as it was quite literally bare and had never taken on something like this.

white3.jpg

white2.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Ok, thought i'd do a little update as the Clio has been on the road a month now and covered about 600 miles, 260 of those were done last weekend on the round trip to Cliosort Saturday at Gaydon. Its given me the chance to bed every new component in and see if anything happens that i need to deal with.

So, the maiden run out in the first week of July which gives me the opportunity to finally take some pics of the Clio NOT on the driveway! I'm really impressed with the final look of the Clio and can't believe it's actually made it off the driveway on it's own steam after sitting there for 4 months.

2tree006.jpg

2tree005.jpg

2tree008.jpg

Now running on Shell V power and finally putting on some miles it feels really responsive with all the ingredients working together. Lightweight, AC delete setup (172 Cup alternator) matched inlets, decat.

Driving to and from work for a week gives me this
WP_000657.jpg

The next step to me is to get it on the rolling road to give me a powercurve printout so i book it in at the local RR facility quite literally over the road and a 3 minute drive from home. The BHP and torque curve indicate a flatspot, the next step i feel is a remap

WP_000582.jpg

WP_000581.jpg

There's also the annoying problem with a sticking throttle, i'm having to blip the pedal to drop the revs down so i'm booking it in to have the TB taken apart to be cleaned, the ICV cleaned and a new throttle cable fitted. The speedo has also started to play up so i've also ordered a new speedo sensor from Renault so i'll have that fitted at the same time.

WP_000665.jpg

I also popped into the local breakers to sort some boot badges to finish it off, beats leaving the holes in the tailgate
WP_000601.jpg

So time to save for a remap and get it booked in on a trackday to really push it, then hopefully in October i'll be heading over to the Nurburgring.

WP_000673.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Thanks for the comments people.

I also had to put the adjusters back on the rear springs as it was sitting too low, the nyloc nut also worked loose on the drivers side solid top mount which caused a knocking noise so that was tightened up too. Definitely worth spanner checking everything periodically!

Hey mate, great work on the project! From what I've read the throttle problem and speedo may both be related, and caused by the speedo sensor. Maybe try replacing that before stripping the throttle body down??

Last edited:

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Hey mate, great work on the project! From what I've read the throttle problem and speedo may both be related, and caused by the speedo sensor. Maybe try replacing that before stripping the throttle body down??

Yep, was told this too by a mate of mine who works for Renault. I'm picking up the new sensor from Renault tomorrow and will have that fitted as well as the new throttle cable. I'm gonna buy some carb cleaner for the ICV too.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I had a good look at this at CSS, liking the roll cage.

Cheers, 1 of 2 reasons for buying it. A proper Clio Cup rollcage and a shell in white, when i went to see it there was no way i could say no. After crunching the numbers and making the call to Danny it was mine to pick up.

My last Clio 172 was at that point where it was time to look at buying a rollcage, for a little bit more i ended up with a clean shell and the cage already fitted. Then the task of swapping over the parts from 1 shell to another as well as buying new goodies along the way.

Speedo sensor is picked up from Renault yesterday, for me it always pays to buy genuine parts cash allowing.

WP_000699.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I would very much like to have this car, can you donate it to me?

If you donate at least 3.5k then yes :D

Just had a sort through all my invoices since starting the white project... and then bust out the calculator!

35 invoices from Renault, FK,GSF, Eurocarparts, K Tec, E Bay

WP_000711.jpg

WP_000712.jpg

WP_000713.jpg

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Busting out the calculator can lead to depression.

Best throw it in the nearest bin.

Need a photoshoot soon... nice sunny evening perhaps, not tonight !!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Busting out the calculator can lead to depression.

Best throw it in the nearest bin.

Need a photoshoot soon... nice sunny evening perhaps, not tonight !!

Photoshoot sounds spot on :cool:

There's a few parts i bought 2nd hand through the club that aren't invoiced which adds up too

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Wow, I really like this car! bet you're well chuffed with the end result?
I am currently looking at dashboard options for our car and thought about relocating switchgear to the now redundant air-vents too. Nice to see you have already done this and it looks/works well.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I saw this car at CSS, a real credit to you!

What power did it make on the rolling road?

Cheers

Power wise 172bhp, 142ft/lbs, i was more interested in the bhp and torque curves which shows between 4500 and 5500rpm a dip in power. As mentioned i think a remap would smooth it out and eek out a bit more power. The RR facility had 3 other 172s on their system and they all had less bhp. On the road the Clio feels really responsive

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Wow, I really like this car! bet you're well chuffed with the end result?
I am currently looking at dashboard options for our car and thought about relocating switchgear to the now redundant air-vents too. Nice to see you have already done this and it looks/works well.

More than happy with the outcome.

I always had the intention of putting the 12V feed and the hazard switch in place of the centre vents using carbon fibre. It was only when i needed to locate the headlight beam adjustment where the idea of fitting it in the drivers side air vent came, it seemed fitting to blank off the passenger side with carbon fibre to match the other vents

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Yet again not much happening apart from this Sunday, the chap who prepped the Clio throughout the project holds a NAT B race licence and competes in sprinting. He's invited me over to North Weald to not only watch what goes on in sprinting but to also have the Clio scrutineered, the Clio is eligible for class B10. I don't have a race licence but if the sprinting seems good i might look into having a go, failing that i'll let my mate drive it :D Ill definitely get some pics while i'm there.

Another thing i've been thinking about and resisting the urge at the moment is to put a few strategicly placed stickers on the Clio. As it's a track based car i think i could get away with doing it, not OTT in the way it was before.

BUT, would it look better as it is now, plain, just the white??

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Passenger side air vent, just blanked off with 1 or 1.5mm thick carbon fibre
WP_000539.jpg

Drivers side air vent with headlight adjuster and dash clock dimmer, the whole unit is used and covered with the same thin carbon fibre sheet
WP_000513.jpg

Centre vents taken out and replaced with carbon fibre, this space is used to house the hazard switch and 12V feed
WP_000521.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I need somewhere to mount my hazard switch, thinking about putting it where the clock is. How is it mounted to the carbon fibre?

My hazard switch is from the early 172 and it slots into a rectangular opening. When fitted in the 172 it slides in and clips into place, so i did the same and cut a rectangular opening in the carbon fibre for the sitch the clip into. The same goes for the 12V cigarette lighter feed.

WP_000517.jpg

WP_000519.jpg

This shows the dash centre in pieces, i took the dash clock body out but kept the glass and super glued that back in. There's nothing left behind it all as it's not needed
WP_000347.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Just read all this, fantastic work!

Thank you, i'm really pleased how it's come from literally a bare shell. 90% of what's on this car is either brand new or definitely no more than 3 years old. The only parts that are the oldest are the engine and gearbox which came out of my 2001 donor Clio 172

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Where do you get bits of carbon like that? Was thinking of doing somthing very similar in mines.

I was lucky and was given a 500mm square sheet to do what i want with and gave the rest back. I imagine motorsport places do it, E Bay??