ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who to use for this engine work?

Failing that, I'd go with whoever Fred is/works for. I haven;t met him, But he seems honest, Knowledgeable and seems a sound guy.

Me too, he'll get you 13bhp from a Viper induction kit and I hear with a remap and an exhaust you'll be knocking on the door for 300bhp ;) hehe

Fred is sound, he does come out with some absolute gems though :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Martin,

Don't attempt the belts yourself! Unless you know what your doing...iirc your not a mechanic...?! No sure, but i'd pay for that work! Cams...The gains are minimal, like i say every time you bearly notice 25bhp! mine only just pulled away from a std 172 so that puts 2k or so into perspective!

Listen to jon ^ a Viper will get you 13bhp! ;)

Martin,

Don't attempt the belts yourself! Unless you know what your doing...iirc your not a mechanic...?! No sure, but i'd pay for that work! Cams...The gains are minimal, like i say every time you bearly notice 25bhp! mine only just pulled away from a std 172 so that puts 2k or so into perspective!

Yup i agree, when i had a play with a standard 172 it was quicker but wouldnt exactly power past, get that 2k pumped into somthing jap....FTW!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i would if i could insure something jap lol.

so basically cams arnt worth it? the actual power gain didnt bother me it was the extra low down torque that sounded nice.

cams are worth it, note the people knocking them dont have them. it's a good gain for the outlay, but I'd spend the money on an Omex instead

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
na dont really want to go with aftermarket management, just thought cams would be worth while since the cambelt was getting done anyway but dont want to go spending mega money.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Cams are Not worth it, you'll get approx 6Bhp is your lucky! - Were you not involved in that conversation with Kevin @ Falkland!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Thats better, keep on topic please.

That also includes you Ben you gigantic dong. ;)

Last edited:
I said that's what "I WOULD DO", but then I wouldn't stop at just cams personally.

Anyway, your getting the belt done, it makes sense to uprate the cams for some easy power that's not going to cost you much or anymore in labour. Cost effective mod given your belt needs.

Wouldn't worry what some dude said about cams only giving 6bhp, that falls under "not knowing ones arse from ones elbow". If everyone else had reaslised this too, then cam retailers would go out of business when you can get those gains from a couple of easy breathing mods

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Wouldn't worry what some dude said about cams only giving 6bhp, that falls under "not knowing ones arse from ones elbow". If everyone else had reaslised this too, then cam retailers would go out of business when you can get those gains from a couple of easy breathing mods

Sounds a bit low, but then if you dont map to take advantage of the cams properly...

Sounds a bit low, but then if you dont map to take advantage of the cams properly...

true, but even without mapping I'd expect more than that... not sure about F4R's in regards to cams without suitable maps, but on the F7R's just cams on their own give a notable and obvious power increase that's hard not to spot.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Boy up here got a set fitted to GDi's spec...No names mentioned and gained 6bhp! Pathetic! And that set him bak over 1k! not bad a little over 150£ per BHP! :rolleyes:

Martin - Basically the message was don't bother.
John nout to do with cam companies going out of business, but rather more emphasis on cams being a part of a package, not just on it's own.

M

mini-valver

Lol^^

Cams WILL give you a noticeable increase in power! If you're having the belt done, £500 on a set of CAT's isn't a massive outlay. Add your inlets (exchange basis), exhaust and decat then shoot down to RStuning and have it mapped. You could do it all for 1.5k I reckon. A belt change is £500 odd so 1k for about 15-20 bhp is good going....

Ph1
No sure, but i'd pay for that work! Cams...The gains are minimal, like i say every time you bearly notice 25bhp! mine only just pulled away from a std 172 so that puts 2k or so into perspective!

Something must have been seriously wrong then. :S

Iv got roughly 25 bhp over standard with 'shitty' Pipers among other things and standard 172's / 182's are not even worth breaking a sweat against the difference is that big.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
No sure, but i'd pay for that work! Cams...The gains are minimal, like i say every time you bearly notice 25bhp! mine only just pulled away from a std 172 so that puts 2k or so into perspective!

Iv got roughly 25 bhp over standard with 's**tty' Pipers among other things and standard 172's / 182's are not even worth breaking a sweat against the difference is that big.

I'm dubious of that!!! Would want to see it to beleive it!

Never seen cams on there own make more than 10brake!

Couple with inlets, maxogen, remap and zorst your lookin at the 200brake mark!

If you got 25brake from cams alone, with the rest of the work your lookin at TB power....That i doubt!

All the mods I have had done on my car:-
182 manifold and cat
omex and idle control
maxogen
cat back prospeed

On the rolloers back to back with a standard 182 mine made 20 bhp more than the 182 and mine hasn't got sports cams....

Ph1

Iv got roughly 25 bhp over standard with 's**tty' Pipers among other things and standard 172's / 182's are not even worth breaking a sweat against the difference is that big.

I'm dubious of that!!! Would want to see it to beleive it!

Never seen cams on there own make more than 10brake!

Couple with inlets, maxogen, remap and zorst your lookin at the 200brake mark!

If you got 25brake from cams alone, with the rest of the work your lookin at TB power....That i doubt!

Not the cams on their own no, coupled with the other mods iv got but the cams were where the big difference came from

25bhp over stock and it should pull like a train and well over a standard 172 / 182 from experience

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Maybe your definition of pull like a train is different to mine!

Mine was fast! 171 as std and 192.6 after all mods, so 20ish brake up on std! I could catch and pass, but not even to go! WOW!

340i
hahahaa i love these threads!

If you truely want to make your 1*2 "alot faster" "pull like a train" "rapid" etc etc.. your gonna have to spend atleast £5K + on engine work alone

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol not really worth the hastle of being car-less and traveling if im not getting a decent power gain, looks like its into renault for cambelt, ohh the joys

ITB'd Ph1 172
unless you have driven these cars, none of you can really comment...

i am sure the owners would be more than happy to demo either way.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
unless you have driven these cars, none of you can really comment...

i am sure the owners would be more than happy to demo either way.

Seen, driven, broke!

RS tuning is a mug's game, made even worse with wild mods.

Buy a faster car it's the only safe sensible option!

A well built VW
Martin , save the money and put it towards your Jap car fund and concentrate on enjoying the car as it was meant to be

IMHO its just a waste of money I spent many years spunking loads of cash at mods and regret it now - could have bought a really nice car with the money wasted on mods alone lol