ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whoever says 1.2s arent fun should be shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

J03

MX5 1.8
haha its been discussed so many times... why do people even post threads like this? they know full well a war is about to rage with 1.2 drivers... tbh 1.2 drivers are so deffensive because they've never actually driven anything faster..
slow- no fun really.. ragging its tits off in 3rd going up an big hill then u see a BMW or some sort overtake.. lol only fun times i had in my 1.2 was when i was driving like a t**t over-taking everyone along with my hardcore cruzers to see who can get to where faster.. and i won everytime hahah nothing to brag really... :p

320d
1.2's arn't fast and arn't fun compared to other cars.

However It's the only car I have any I have fun driving it on a good piece of road.

Put it this way, i'd rather have my 1.2 on the ring than a 1*2 in a traffic jam on the M6.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i remeber when i had my 1.2 16v clio, a 50cc scooter kept up with me till 50mph i was wel imbaressed flol

Turbo LY R27
as a daily driver of a 1.2 i have been changing gear at the 3 - 3.5k mark.

but recently ive noticed if you drive it in 3rd / 4th / 5th at over 3.5k then engine power seems to double.

ive only found this out recently and it also seems to make one hell of a grunt

roffle! Fcuk sake, you actually make it sound like a super car. Drive/own a quick car you will think very different. They are slow end of. Silly boy.:eek:

From a person whose come from a 1.2 to a 182, I cant see how you can possibly say that a 1.2 is fun! I know thats stating the obvious, but I found the 1.2 to be slow, and the soft suspension just killed any sense of fun :(

As stated somewhere above, get a RS and you'll soon see what I mean!

MCS R56
Why don't the 1.2 brigade set-up a 1.2 forum, so that they can all discuss the fun together without the 2.0 brigade?

Look guys - I get what he's saying. In a real world situation where you are punting around the side streets or down a country lane or even nipping through traffic, the little 1.2 can be fun. It's fun in the same way that a real Mini is fun - great chassis, underpowered and so you have to rag the tits off it to get the best from it. Enormous fun if you like that sort of thing.

I used to have a 1.2 8v Authentique. My Dad had a Rover 620Ti at the time and that did 0-60 in 7.0 seconds and could reach 140MPH. He loved the Clio! He could make it perform, but then he knew how to drive. Once he had it up to speed (and that initially did take a while!) he just stirred the box and kept the revs up. It flew along!

I know have a 1.2 16v Dynamique and that is much quicker than the other one and is fun in the same way. It is nowhere near as quick as the 1.8SRi Astra Sport Hatch that I also have, but it is a laugh.

Now the 182....

Storm Grey 200
Obviously the car is s**t, and slow etc, but its bloody fun in the twisties, just as a 1*2 is.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I completely fail to see the link between speed and fun.

I have more fun on my daily commute in my 85 bhp/ton Focus than I do in my Cup.

Why?

Because I can drive it pretty much flat out everywhere, and you have to think about your driving, make sure you are smooth, keep the momentum up.

Fun is a state of mind, not engine size related - and whenever I had a 1.2 as a courtesy car, I had a right laugh in it.

I think it depends massively on where you're driving. Long sweeping bends you're obviously going to have more fun in something with more power. But tight twisty turns when the max speed you can do is say 50, the difference between a 1.2 and 182 would be marginal.

Look at the vid of Daipac (in a 172) chasing Fred (in a 1.2) are you saying Freds not having any fun?

[youtube]T_M9dC3cwBQ[/youtube]

I had great fun in my Mk1 1.2, granted it was a first car and having the choice I wouldnt go back to it now. But when some silly bint caused a crash I had a 1.2 Corsa TwinPort as a hire car. That thing was great. Handled like a true hire car should. I gave it death and it really was quite fun.

If for financial reasons I had to buy a 1.2 or something, I wouldnt think it was the end of fun driving. I wouldnt carry the speeds at certain points that I can in my car but with certain bits of road, the 1.2 wouldnt be far behind.

Laguna 2, Westfield
1.4 is no faster than the 1.2!

1.4 8v is no faster than a 1.2 16v you're right, but the 1.4 16v (98bhp) is a cracking engine, its much faster than the 1.2 16v.

The best 1.2 engine IMO that i've driven is the 1.25 zetec-se in the old mk4 T/V reg shape Fiesta's, thats a great little engine and so revvy.

I rememeber the mk1 8v clio my mum used to have we always used to joke when she pulled out of a junction about leaning forward to go faster it was that slow - i'm sure a pedal bike was faster lol ( i was a kid then and thought it was bad )
Then she bought a new W reg 1.4 16v and its really nippy. Its the slowest i could have for everyday, it copes with hills and fifth gear motorway driving where as 1.2 16v's i've driven just can't.

J03

MX5 1.8
is he even tryin in that video? that 1.2 looks fast... lol obviously on the straights its faster but round the corners it seems to like have the edge does the 1.2...? so is he even trying? or is fred an extremely good driver lol

MCS R56
How many times do we need to see that video? It proves nothing.

MarkCup nailed it - Fun is a state of mind, not engine size related.

The comments about thrashing it around always on the boil are true, but they apply to any car. My 1.2 Nova swing was 'fun' but if I drove one now I'd probably be sick. If one has a 1.2 then great, enjoy it. I don't see the need to defend it by saying it's fun though.

right...i got the guys down the lab to work on this..

here are their findings...

graph.gif

Clio
FFS, I sometimes wonder why i go onto this forum TBH, what is it with RS owners on here. One single mention of a 1.2 its "pussy this pussy that"

No one has said a 1.2 is anything as fast or has the performance of a 1*2. we are just stating that they are fun little cars.

I sometimes feel that a fair few of RS owners think that because they own a 1*2 that they have the right to flame the hell out of 1.2's. why do you feel the need to defend the 1*2's whenever performance, speed, power is mentioned

Why can't we discuss 1.2's without all this fuss, The threads just get locked which is unfair on people that actually have some intrest in the topic.

RANT OVER!!!

FFS, I sometimes wonder why i go onto this forum TBH, what is it with RS owners on here. One single mention of a 1.2 its "pussy this pussy that"

No one has said a 1.2 is anything as fast or has the performance of a 1*2. we are just stating that they are fun little cars.

I sometimes feel that a fair few of RS owners think that because they own a 1*2 that they have the right to flame the hell out of 1.2's. why do you feel the need to defend the 1*2's whenever performance, speed, power is mentioned

Why can't we discuss 1.2's without all this fuss, The threads just get locked which is unfair on people that actually have some intrest in the topic.

RANT OVER!!!

You beat me to my rant :(

Tbh if you have a 1*2 then obv your car is going to be more "fun" but is it? You dont need to be going faster to have fun.

And tbh there is no point in you all coming on here and saying "1.2s are shite, buy a 1*2" coz we aint all got endless amounts of money to buy them. Maybe we like 1.2s and you like 1*2s? Get over it and let us enjoy this forum aswell.

RANT OVER!!!

1/10 for the rant.

Anyway, from my point of view at least, they are no more fun than any other car, and far less fun than many. Hence I disagree with the OP. The one I drove was horrible. It cornered on its door mirrors and was so slow I nearly got out and walked. 15 years ago I would no doubt have thought it was fun. That's a statement of opinion, not flaming.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
A van is fun to drive if you thrash the tits off it and crash into things. Company cars are fun offroad at 40mph. Doesn't make either of them fun vehicles though.

I'd say a 172 is fun as it's got a relatively high power to weight compared to most other things on the road which makes light work of traffic and it goes round corners pretty well too. I think my MX5 is probably one of the most fun cars I've ever driven just because you can drive it around normally and then go round a roundabout sideways, always puts a grin on my face.

When you drive a hire car, the fun part is abusing it IMO, nothing to do with it being a 1.2.

It's all a matter of opinion anyway so let's all shut the f**k up, especially those saying 1.2s are quick along with people implying 172s are some sort of supercar.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
The main problem I find with any 1.2 (and some bigger cars for that matter) is when something gets in your way when trying to make progress. It kills them and takes an age to get back up to speed. Long hills do the same too.
Who ever said the Fiesta 1.25 is the best 1.2 I have to agree, its probably the quickest 1.25 I've driven and handled very well.
For most people the 1.2's are probably their first cars and for that reason only will always seem fast and fun.

1.5 Clio Dynamique
for the record i never said anything about 1*2 not being fun. its obvious that with a 2.0 engine and the other uprated bits on it that it will be 10x more fun than a 1.2.

all im saying is that those of us on a budget and who cant afford a sport then there is still fun to be had in the 1.2..

but lets face it. 1.2 clios are only shopping trolleys really compared to the sports but theyre still s**t loads of fun

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
haha its been discussed so many times... why do people even post threads like this? they know full well a war is about to rage with 1.2 drivers... tbh 1.2 drivers are so deffensive because they've never actually driven anything faster..

disagree. iv driven a number of RS clios and a Vee and also an evo and a subaru.
Yes they are all fast and im not saying for a SECOND that a 1.2 clio even touches the word "Fast". The title of the thread however is "whoever says 1.2s aren't fun" which imo they are fun little cars.

disagree. iv driven a number of RS clios and a Vee and also an evo and a subaru.
Yes they are all fast and im not saying for a SECOND that a 1.2 clio even touches the word "Fast". The title of the thread however is "whoever says 1.2s aren't fun" which imo they are fun little cars.

what car isnt fun?

well for example the clio TT wasnt fun.

It was scary.

For another example. My old fiesta 1.1 wasnt fun. it was s**t.

i could go on...

i disagree...i enjoy fiesta 1.1s...

i think everyone has their own oppinion tbh..of what is fun and what is not...

your expectations of fun change with engine size i recon...

each to their own..

so all these crusaders need to stop trying to change hearts and minds...and get a couple of beers and watch some pish on the tv..

mayby have a w**k/poke (delete as appropriate)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
so all these crusaders need to stop trying to change hearts and minds...and get a couple of beers and watch some pish on the tv..

mayby have a w**k/poke (delete as appropriate)
i agree lad, good shout:approve:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I just sold a 1.2 Clio Dynamique and i'm glad.

It was dangerous tbh. Dangerous as in I nearly fell asleep everytime I drove it!

I'd rather buy a £500 Capri 2.8 and spend £3000 on insurance If I was 17 again!!

Typical 1*2 boys. Think they are better than everyone else.

I took my 1.2 out last night with some mates at about 11pm. There was hardly anyone else on the road and it was great fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.