ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why are there no options for a thicker front anti roll bar?

172 ph1
We all know there's the whiteline rear anti roll bar, which I have fitted, but why has there never been an option of fitting thicker front anti roll bars? Yes some body roll is well and good but once on semi slick tires the body roll is just massive, and really makes quick direction changes a lot more difficult as it always takes some time for you to go from one extreme of body roll to the other. Meanwhile the corner's already arrived and passed. I've had to resort to braking between direction changes as a result. Harder springs can cure the problem somewhat but there are other consequences of doing so.

Anti roll bars are a very common modification on other cars, and judging by the changes made to the 197/200 Cup, even Renault themselves have fitted thicker front anti roll bars to reduce the amount of body rolll.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
I see you've got a phase 1? Could always try the 182 front roll bar as their a bit thicker (1 or 2mm) than the 172's i think??

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Will this not just encourage it to understeer?
Think this is why there's no after market ones!
But if you've stiffened up the rear a lot ie with a whiteline arb and its tail happy the front ill help a bit i suppose to make it more neutral again

172 ph1
I see you've got a phase 1? Could always try the 182 front roll bar as their a bit thicker (1 or 2mm) than the 172's i think??
Oh cool will look into this.
Will this not just encourage it to understeer?
Yes but with the adjustable rear anti roll bar I'm currently on almost the softest setting, so I have some more adjustability left to compensate for a bigger front anti roll bar.
There are uprated front ARBs available.

http://www.gg-motorsport.homepage.t...ct_info.php?cPath=95_61_88_90&products_id=183

But stiffening up the front will result in understeer.
Wow thanks so much!

172 ph1
Cool, well this is what KW sent me, to save you guys some time :)

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Dear KW customer,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]thank you for your email and the information.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]We recommend to use a 80-170* spring instead of 60-170* supplied with the kit.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The handling should improve a lot with this.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Please contact your local KW partner for ordering this spring. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Part number is 60110047.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Thank you and we wish you a lot of fun and success with the “new setup”.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]KW automotive GmbH[/FONT][/FONT]

172 ph1
what rear setup are you running with the firmer front springs?
I'm not on the harder front springs yet. I asked KW if it would be a problem only changing the front springs (they don't have harder rear springs for the V2) and they assured me that it would be ok.

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Hello,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]unfortunately, for the rear of this car, we do not offer harder springs.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]After discussing with our motorsports department, they confirmed, that with new springs on front axle and the same springs on the rear (as they have been chosen to be quite “firm”), you should get a good result on handling.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Thank you.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]KW automotive GmbH[/FONT][/FONT]

172/1.2/E30
You could always stiffen up the rear by setting the arb and rear shocks firmer. So should be fine i assume.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Cool, well this is what KW sent me, to save you guys some time :)

Dear KW customer,

thank you for your email and the information.
We recommend to use a 80-170* spring instead of 60-170* supplied with the kit.
The handling should improve a lot with this.

Please contact your local KW partner for ordering this spring.
Part number is 60110047.
Thank you and we wish you a lot of fun and success with the “new setup”.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

KW automotive GmbH

I thought these were already perfect out of the box?

one of the best you can get, and they're "not too soft for track" utter rubbish, people see to think roll is a bad thing, its not!

172 ph1
I thought these were already perfect out of the box?
Depends a lot on the tires you use. If you stay on road tires they're close to perfect but once you move on to semi slicks then the combination of the standard anti roll bar with the KW V2 is too soft. Even KW admits that if you read the email.

That doesn't mean the V2 isn't a great product, for the vast majority of buyers it's a great compromise for road and track use. It's only the small minority of V2 buyers that track their cars very seriously on semi slicks for whom the standard V2 springrates are not sufficient.

All coilover sets are a compromise. More track focussed ones are more harsh for road use. The V2 strikes a good balance for most.

Last edited:

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Depends a lot on the tires you use. If you stay on road tires they're close to perfect but once you move on to semi slicks then the combination of the standard anti roll bar with the KW V2 is too soft. Even KW admits that if you read the email.

That doesn't mean the V2 isn't a great product, for the vast majority of buyers it's a great compromise for road and track use. It's only the small minority of V2 buyers that track their cars very seriously on semi slicks for whom the standard V2 springrates are not sufficient.

All coilover sets are a compromise. More track focussed ones are more harsh for road use. The V2 strikes a good balance for most.

Lol, my comment was a little tongue in cheek Shiyan. I've come to a similar conclusion with my ASTs & am similarly upping the front spring rate :)