ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why do my brakes squeek

wrx sti ppp (305bhp)
i used to have some ferodo race pads, they squeeked like hell so i bought a set of mintex extreme pads, now these are starting to squeel but more like a whistling noise, i was told these dont squeek?? are my calipers fucked or is something else wrong???

Lionel Richie
i've found those Mintex extreme pads squeak like hell

they should rename them Mintex "ilooklikeatwatbecausemybreakssqueal"

Lionel Richie
Mintex don't use copper grease, they have sticky pads on the back that are "supposed" to stick the the caliper/piston (stupid idea)

CTR--VX220D
Fred I still used copperslip aswel the rubber pad on my VX - although they still squeaked!!! I think its the pad surface.

Weeman sucks ****
copper slip on the back of the pad does feck all anyway, it's a myth!

you only need some on the ends, where they're contact with the shoe.

and anyway, squeaking is good...all race cars squeak;)

CTR--VX220D
Not true... A good example was on the 'Garage' on Discovery Real Time this weekend. A Ferrari 360 had 'squeeking brakes' when the owner had new brakes fitted. Ferrari didnt put enough CS on - the garage put loads ona and it was cured instantly. Ive experienced the same on my Elise.

BMW M135i
I find that copperslip will cure it until you get the brakes warm after a nice bit of enthusiatic braking, then after than it seems to dry it out or something and the squeeking returns.

I can strip the brakes down clean them up and put fresh copperslip on and they'll be fine until I get the brakes stinking. Then back comes the squeek.

Weeman sucks ****
May differ from car to car.

I slapped loads of cs on my old ferodo pads and they squeeked like mad. I also know a few guys 'in the know' when it comes to cars and they all think it's b0ll0cks!

At the end of the day, at least they work...get ear plugs :)